Thread: keto diet

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I really don't have any reason to make it up. It was outside the range of normal expectations, and I don't think I ever suggested it was something anyone could expect. Like I said; my doctor was concerned about it, too, hence the biweekly bloodwork. But I was getting healthier, if anything. I was taking a "break" and having an "eat whatever" day about once every three weeks, but other than that, I ate really well, and ketosis took care of the rest.

You can't boil things down to something as simple as kcal intake. You need to track your resting metabolic rate, because you don't actually absorb all those kcals you eat, and you use up a bunch of them in regular body function. Ketosis, which is what keto diets rely on, also pretty heavily screws this stuff up (which is sort of the point of a keto diet). The entire idea is that your body becomes much more capable of burning off fat stores, while at the same time your appetite craters.

I really don't have any reason to make any of this up. I'm fully aware my experience was well outside the normal margins, but it was what it was.
    I didn't say that you needed to have any reason to make any of this this up. You could have fabricated it without any particular motivation whatsoever. Listen, it's simply not metabolically possible to achieve what you claim, eating what you did. Maybe, if your starting weight was 800 pounds or something like that. I understand that it's more complicated than "calories in vs calories out" but you're not going to swing the equivalent of a 5500/day calorie deficit over the course of two months simply through ketosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    I didn't say that you needed to have any reason to make any of this this up. You could have fabricated it without any particular motivation whatsoever. Listen, it's simply not metabolically possible to achieve what you claim, eating what you did. Maybe, if your starting weight was 800 pounds or something like that. I understand that it's more complicated than "calories in vs calories out" but you're not going to swing the equivalent of a 5500/day calorie deficit over the course of two months simply through ketosis.
    Unless you're Michael Phelps and are still training..

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Unless you're Michael Phelps and are still training..
    To achieve that kind of weight loss without exercise you'd have to have a starting weight of like 600 pounds. I think he said he didn't work out at all. Maybe he was sleepwalking 10 miles every night. That would do it. Endus, were you really, really tired in the morning?
    Last edited by Merkava; 2016-05-21 at 03:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    what is the highest amount of carbs u can eat while still mantaining ketosis state ? carbs that mostly come from fruits, not grains.

would i mantain keto at 80-100g carbs per day ? i eat 4-5 apples and 2 tomatoes a day on a workout day. when its day off i lower it to 2 apples and 2 tomatoes
    still related to this. i settled at 40g carbs net even on workout days. now...

height: 182cm
    weight: 80kg
    goal: cutting

i workout 2 out of 3 days.
    1 day lifting
    2 day cardio (jogging/cycling)
    3 day off
    and repeat

at the moment i deliver 2500kcal on workout days and 1400kcal on days off.
    is it wrong ? is the range too big ? should i eat more on days off and less on workout days maybe ?

is 2500 low enough with my weight to burn fat when working out ?
    is 1400 high enough (for just that 1 day every 3) not to slow metabolism ?

should i somehow optimize it more or its fine as it is ?

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    still related to this. i settled at 40g carbs net even on workout days. now...

height: 182cm
    weight: 80kg
    goal: cutting

i workout 2 out of 3 days.
    1 day lifting
    2 day cardio (jogging/cycling)
    3 day off
    and repeat

at the moment i deliver 2500kcal on workout days and 1400kcal on days off.
    is it wrong ? is the range too big ? should i eat more on days off and less on workout days maybe ?

is 2500 low enough with my weight to burn fat when working out ?
    is 1400 high enough (for just that 1 day every 3) not to slow metabolism ?

should i somehow optimize it more or its fine as it is ?
    If you want true Keto you need to have 30g of carbs a day. In terms of calories you are eating at maintenance one day, burning the next and eating at maintenance again meaning you are going nowhere fast. Start with 2000 for each day. If you are not losing as fast as you want, cut it down to 1700. If you are losing too fast push it up to 2100.

My experience with Keto has been very positive. Going on 9 months and I have lost around 65 pounds and lowered my triglycerides from 220 to 120. The only thing I eat that is against the traditional keto diet is potatoes, usually a couple times a week.

i try it and it is work/ i lost about 6 kg per 1 week

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fererow View Post
    i try it and it is work/ i lost about 6 kg per 1 week
    6kg per week is far from healthy.
    how much kcal do u deliver a day ?

Keto is really only something that the very overweight, or the very disciplined should be undertaking.

Realistically, a pound a week is a safe number for someone of an average weight to be losing in their cut. Anymore more starts to have detrimental affects on the body (in addition you will start to see significant sag in skin as does not have time to adjust to loss of mass). However the very obese should not be afraid of this as fast weight loss is a higher priority for the sake of health.

Keto shines because it avoids spikes in insulin.

I think the best this for Keto is for losing the last 10 lbs to your goal. Establishing a disciplined diet that contains carbs for initial weight loss can still have great results and gets you in the habit of watching what you eat. At that point, you can start cutting carbs out slowly and work towards your final weight goal.

Ok I started Keto about a week ago. I also notched down from 2700 calories a day to 2000 or less.

I cut out sugar completely (minus items like seasoning that might contain less than 1 gram) and I actually maintain less than 30g a day of carbs (even though diet calls for less than 50g)

I also started consuming about 40oz of straight water a day outside of other drinks that contain water.

Why didn't anyone warn me my butthole was going to become a water facet? I've had nothing but straight runs for days now. I'm assuming this isn't a bad thing as my body adjusts, but jesus I'm afraid to fart now.

I've lost 3lbs in the first week, so I guess Im off to a good start.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Ok I started Keto about a week ago. I also notched down from 2700 calories a day to 2000 or less.

I cut out sugar completely (minus items like seasoning that might contain less than 1 gram) and I actually maintain less than 30g a day of carbs (even though diet calls for less than 50g)

I also started consuming about 40oz of straight water a day outside of other drinks that contain water.

Why didn't anyone warn me my butthole was going to become a water facet? I've had nothing but straight runs for days now. I'm assuming this isn't a bad thing as my body adjusts, but jesus I'm afraid to fart now.

When shifting suddenly from one type of diet to another, your body has to adjust the enzymes in your stomach to account for the change in diet. Having diarrhea is expected for a few weeks (it should lesson as the days go by) until your body produces enough of the right enzymes to process your new diet more completely.

Keep in mind that a lot of diarrhea can dehydrate you, so in addition to water, you probably should take immodium AD as needed.

That sounds like a food allergy issue, what are you eating? Are you lactose intolerant?

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    That sounds like a food allergy issue, what are you eating? Are you lactose intolerant?
    No not at all. Actually one of the hardest things to give up is milk.

I'm still eating / drinking what I've always consumed, I simply cut out what has carbs (less than 30g a day) and sugar. Then I cut down on portion size of what I do eat. Milk had to go though, even skim milk has a ridiculous amount of carbs and sugar per 1 cup serving.

I rarely use to drink straight water cept for maybe a hot day after mowing the lawn. I am almost positive the new influx of water into my system is probably the main culprit.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-08-11 at 12:35 AM.

Keto is fine for losing weight and for some niche medical cases, but I'd advise against it in general. Especially those who use it as an excuse to eat a shitload of red meat and bacon. Some people I know do keto and their primary source of food seems to be red meat, cheese, eggs, bacon, beef jerky etc. That's like asking for heart disease. It's not healthy long term, if you want a healthy diet I'd suggest looking at Harvard's "Healthy Eating Plate". If you want to lose weight, then just reduce your calorie intake. I understand keto works wonders for weight loss for some people, but there are healthier alternatives that work just as well. Plus you need carbs for optimal performance in the gym, although I don't know if you guys are into weightlifting or not.

However if you're obese and keto is the only thing that you can make work, go for it

No not at all. Actually one of the hardest things to give up is milk.

I'm still eating / drinking what I've always consumed, I simply cut out what has carbs (less than 30g a day) and sugar. Then I cut down on portion size of what I do eat. Milk had to go though, even skim milk has a ridiculous amount of carbs and sugar per 1 cup serving.

I rarely use to drink straight water cept for maybe a hot day after mowing the lawn. I am almost positive the new influx of water into my system is probably the main culprit.
    Maybe...usually keto diets are low-ish in fiber so constipation is a more common problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Maybe...usually keto diets are low-ish in fiber so constipation is a more common problem.
    Well for lack of a better way to spruce this up, all this liquid shooting out my arse has to be something, and the new intake of water is the only thing I can correlate it to. lol?

Well for lack of a better way to spruce this up, all this liquid shooting out my arse has to be something, and the new intake of water is the only thing I can correlate it to. lol?
    Well you lose a lot of water weight in the first week or so, so perhaps that is related.

Quote Originally Posted by djar View Post
    That's like asking for heart disease. It's not healthy long term
    That's conventional wisdom, but the evidence doesn't support it.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    That's conventional wisdom, but the evidence doesn't support it.
    Actually, the evidence does support it. The WHO itself has stated it (google WHO red meat and WHO processed meat), and the Harvard's guide for a healthy plate that I linked states to avoid red meat, bacon, etc. Both of these are backed by the latest medical scientific research.

This diet is only short term for me.