Refund build request

Hey all,

Like many others, I'm looking for a build with my tax refund.

Budget 1000-1500 (prefer closer to 1k)
    Resolution - 1920x1080
    Games / Settings Desired - Ultra/max on MMOs and steam games
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): No
    Parts that can be reused: None
    Do you need an OS?: Yes
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?: No

Aesthetics matters a little bit. I do enjoy lights that look clean and matching the scheme. This isn't a must, but it would be nice. Thanks in advance all.

Case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-006-_-Product
    (optional LED strip that functions with the cases built in color switcher: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-003-_-Product)

Motherboard:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130770

CPU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819117372

Ram:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148825

Video card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127841

SSD: (you can add HDD later if you want)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148821

Power supply: (full black cables, all way to tips for clean look)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-032-_-Product

CPU Cooler:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-241-_-Product

Windows 7:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832416806

I am right at your 1500.00 limit (total is 1506.90 in cart) but this thing would last for years, and you would have the best looking PC on the block

Deleted
    This is a black/red theme setup without optical drive, if you need one we can find another case. Got an i7 in there, you can be fine with an i5 4690k as Fascinate got above if you overclock it to the i7's speeds.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($316.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 113.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($137.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.98 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.24 @ Directron)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($349.99 @ B&H)
    Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.99 @ NCIX US)
    Other: NZXT CB-LED10-RD Sleeved LED Kit - Red, 1 m ($13.99)
    Total: $1367.13
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-29 03:19 EST-0500

edit: added optional case lighting to the list above.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-01-29 at 08:19 AM.

Deleted
    Both above builds are overkill, plus not "closer to 1k" as you asked... here is a more balanced option:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/m7r4jX

CPU: i5 4690k (you DO NOT need the i7 as you do not do rendering and similar stuff- the i5 4690k will be future proof for 5 years in gaming)

CPU Cooler: personal preference; CM Hyper 212 Evo, Coolink Corator DS, liquid Corsair options...

MoBo: Asrock Z97 Extreme4 - absolute best buy

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4 GB kit (16 gb is overkill unless you stream/ record a lot/ like to run more than 2 games simultaneously)

SSD: Intel 520 240 GB or Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB

GPU: GeForce GTX 970; I suggest a Gigabyte version, as I had a bad experience with MSI;

Case: personal preference; I'd go for Fractal Define R5 for the silence.

PSU: FSP Raider 550W Silver 80+ efficiency

Total: 1150

EDIT: This config should run everything at High/ Ultra details 1080p for the next 5 years.

Deleted
    Wildstrider, your link is not the same as you describe. You got a 120gb evo in the list instead of 240/256 you describe and you are missing the o/s. So those alone brings you up to around 1260$ with an i5. Considering the parts (130$ for 8gb ram?) that is actually worse than mine, so no its not cheaper when you say mine is overkill.

I am also skeptical about the psu, although its an oem for big companies still its not a good psu and not for that money. That is a Tier4 psu, not a tier1 i would usually recommend. Price isn't everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    This is a black/red theme setup without optical drive, if you need one we can find another case. Got an i7 in there, you can be fine with an i5 4690k as Fascinate got above if you overclock it to the i7's speeds.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($316.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 113.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($137.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.98 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.24 @ Directron)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($349.99 @ B&H)
    Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.99 @ NCIX US)
    Other: NZXT CB-LED10-RD Sleeved LED Kit - Red, 1 m ($13.99)
    Total: $1367.13
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-29 03:19 EST-0500

edit: added optional case lighting to the list above.
    This looks like a very nice option, both aesthetically and performance wise. While true that it isn't closer to 1000, it seems like a really good option. I will keep monitoring this thread, but kudos to you Kosa .

And thank you very much to everyone else. Your builds were also good and I appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    -snip-

I am right at your 1500.00 limit (total is 1506.90 in cart) but this thing would last for years, and you would have the best looking PC on the block
    It is apparent you like newegg and single vendor, but did you realize you can do that with PCPartpicker too? Makes for a much cleaner post and has total. To do this, simply log in to PCpartpicker then click your login name at the top. You can exclude certain vendors, or all vendors except newegg.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    It is apparent you like newegg and single vendor, but did you realize you can do that with PCPartpicker too? Makes for a much cleaner post and has total. To do this, simply log in to PCpartpicker then click your login name at the top. You can exclude certain vendors, or all vendors except newegg.
    This is very true, it makes it much easier than opening 10 tabs on chrome and clicking through all of them :P.

I plan to make a decision on this within a few days to a week. So if anyone has anything else, I will consider all options

Deleted
    Sidenote since i forgot to mention it and you didn't notice op. The case i proposed has no optical drive bays. I don't know if you use them and that is a deal breaker for you. If it is there are other good cases out there that can fit your budget and theme.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP; You don't need a 970 - Which is way too overkill and an i7 if you're playing MMOs and Steam Games. (Most of them unless there's some Crysis there, or other games that really only do nothing but Benchmark.) And at 1080p? Please guys recommending him stuff.

@Kosta: Motherboard is overkill. CPU is overkill. Memory is perfect. SSD+HDD perfect. PSU perfect. GPU? Overkill for 1080p. And the Cooler is a bit expensive if he's not clocking that CPU (Imagine him going over to i5).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstrider View Post
    CPU: i5 4690k (you DO NOT need the i7 as you do not do rendering and similar stuff- the i5 4690k will be future proof for 5 years in gaming)
    Exactly, and that's why you shouldn't go for a Z97 board, and not a EXTREME. Which he wont be using anyway after the 5 years of gaming as then there's probably
    a) new board.
    b) new socket.

It's all waste of cash. Unless you're changing your CPU to the new upcomming drop the Z97.
    Last edited by Kezotar; 2015-02-01 at 07:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    It's all waste of cash. Unless you're changing your CPU to the new upcomming drop the Z97.
    You know, you say this but I see you not giving an alternative build.
    You're making a boat load of assumptions and I don't even know if you know why a Z97 MoBo is in there. It's not even an overkill board. Overkill board would be like an Asus Maximus/Sabertooth, Gigabyte Gaming G1 or MSI Gaming 9.

The alternative to a 970 you'd be getting something lower performance for about $200-$250. At this point you'd be needing to upgrade sooner for that same price point resulting in higher expenses. At this point it is the best price per performance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    OP; You don't need a 970 - Which is way too overkill and an i7 if you're playing MMOs and Steam Games. (Most of them unless there's some Crysis there, or other games that really only do nothing but Benchmark.) And at 1080p? Please guys recommending him stuff.

@Kosta: Motherboard is overkill. CPU is overkill. Memory is perfect. SSD+HDD perfect. PSU perfect. GPU? Overkill for 1080p. And the Cooler is a bit expensive if he's not clocking that CPU (Imagine him going over to i5).

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly, and that's why you shouldn't go for a Z97 board, and not a EXTREME. Which he wont be using anyway after the 5 years of gaming as then there's probably
    a) new board.
    b) new socket.

...you are aware that Broadwell-K is supposed to be on Z97, right?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    ...you are aware that Broadwell-K is supposed to be on Z97, right?
    Yeah, and for how long? Longer than OP is going to have his current CPU? And what gains will it have to his current? 5%?
    Again, he's better off skipping it, he can't be wasting cash for every time intel releases a new cpu.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    You know, you say this but I see you not giving an alternative build.
    You're making a boat load of assumptions and I don't even know if you know why a Z97 MoBo is in there. It's not even an overkill board. Overkill board would be like an Asus Maximus/Sabertooth, Gigabyte Gaming G1 or MSI Gaming 9.

The alternative to a 970 you'd be getting something lower performance for about $200-$250. At this point you'd be needing to upgrade sooner for that same price point resulting in higher expenses. At this point it is the best price per performance.
    Again, I agree. I haven't given him any reasonable builds. However I said drop the i7, go for the i5. Which is a good start.
    And then I said drop the MoBo. As it's almost as extreme as the overkills you talked about. Plus it's a z97. Do you think OP will replace his CPU within a year or two? Of course he's not, when OP replaces his CPU there's a new socket already, or other motherboards where even the z97 wont work. Just saying.

And the 970? Again, overkill for 1080. A 960 does the job just fine. And of course it depends on the games, but I doubt he's playing Crysis and such, if he is, sorry go for a 980. Even that's going to be not good enough. Just saying, throwing money does not make it run faster.

Bang for the buck is " Going for an i5 rather than an i7 if you know you're not doing rendering work, which he stated. ". Going for an i7 is not "Bang for the buck ".

10+ Year Old Account
    Z97 MoBo is because the processor is an unlocked one. K series are the unlocked one and requires a Z## board to overclock.That is why it's a Z97 board, not because it's some thing that's there for shits and giggles.
    To have an i5 4690(k) single core performance to match the i7 4790k you'd need a Z97 board to overclock it. The 4790k comes out of the box higher clocked than the 4690(k).

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Sidenote since i forgot to mention it and you didn't notice op. The case i proposed has no optical drive bays. I don't know if you use them and that is a deal breaker for you. If it is there are other good cases out there that can fit your budget and theme.
    I noticed, and it doesn't matter to me to have optical. I almost never use optical drives. Thanks again for the build and your continued help!

Kezotar: I appreciate your input, for real. I'm staying with 1080p currently, but maybe someday will upgrade. I just can't right now. So the GPU being overkill for 1080p doesn't really apply because I really never know when the upgrade will come.

But I will gladly accept any build you want to get together :P. I'm planning on making a decision on this in a few days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since no one seems to have asked yet, do you happen to have a microcenter nearby? They have fantastic MoBo/CPU combos if you do.

In terms of parts, I would say that Kostattoo's build is pretty good, but I would definitely drop the i7 down to an i5 4690k and overclock it, as it'd be a waste not to, and it'll give you similar performance to the i7 unless you plan to start streaming. Getting a slightly cheaper Z97 MoBo and a different case are also options, though those more boil down to personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokom View Post
    Since no one seems to have asked yet, do you happen to have a microcenter nearby? They have fantastic MoBo/CPU combos if you do.

In terms of parts, I would say that Kostattoo's build is pretty good, but I would definitely drop the i7 down to an i5 4690k and overclock it, as it'd be a waste not to, and it'll give you similar performance to the i7 unless you plan to start streaming. Getting a slightly cheaper Z97 MoBo and a different case are also options, though those more boil down to personal preference.
    Unfortunately I do not have a microcenter nearby. I also don't want to have to overclock the CPU in order to achieve similar results as something that I can also afford within the budget I have laid aside.

But thank you for your post . I am hoping to make a final decision by wednesday.