Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Disney takes a dump on many things, the manure somethimes brings forth a beautiful flower, like the new Star Wars movies they're going to produce.

I made that last statement in the hopes that some nerd is going to implode of butclenching.
    I know what you mean. I just smile, and nod... all the while thinking "you poor, poor, thing..."

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    This is the illusion that evil people are not evil because they are bad but because something bad happened to them. In fact this is not true evil is not made it's born. Think about it.
    That's an opinon. The debate over wether nature or nurture is more important in moulding people has been going on for centuries.

Surely if someone was just born evil then that isn't their fault and you should feel sympathetic towards them for losing the gene lottery.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Sure, a secular human construct. But that doesn't negate my reasoning. You wouldn't have the right to judge anyone else for anything. We might agree that murder is not desirable, because it is wrong according to our opinions, but ultimately you couldn't call it inherently evil. If you argued with somebody who thought murder was ok, not immoral, you wouldn't be able to win because it would simply be your opinion vs theirs.

It is simply an accepted set of rules that people follow, whereas none of the rules are based on anything but the human opinion/preference of the majority/powerful.

Don't worry about it. I've done it once or twice. All that darn avatar-less people being confusing. I've been thinking about getting one lately, can't decide on what though.

There's a nice quote about that, I don't remember who said it.

"Hurricanes aren't evil either, yet if we could jail them, we totally would"

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Funny, thats how I think you sound.

- - - Updated - - -

Naw man killing all those Jews was defiantly a grey area.
    How about all the innocents we killed with drone strikes? the Japanese-american interment camps of ww2? Our economic reliance of cheap labor(exploited) from overseas? By your black/white standard you arguing we are all "evil"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    Evil does exist. Saying that makes you sound like a person who's never been outside or had to deal with difficulties in your personal life. There can be good and evil and still shades of gray. By saying it doesn't exist, you're basically saying people like Nazis and the NK leaders are just somewhere in the spectrum of gray.
    They are, that's the thing. These people did absolutely monstrous things but they believed them to be right. The same as other extremists usually think they're in the right and everyone else is wrong. It's not all that different from the Americans in general.

You look at the Vietnam, Korea or the two World Wars and see the Americans as shining heroes fighting evil, guess what their opponent saw them as the evil ones and in some cases do that even today. Even in WW II where the US had something of the morale high ground they weren't far behind in terms of cruelty, war crimes and other nice things to the Axis powers.

Just take a look at Fury for example, where the heroes shoot an unarmed prisoner of war in the back in some kind of introduction to "the group" ritual that is eerily reminiscent of gang killing for new members or the Isis having it's member kill prisoners to "blood" them. Yet it's celebrated as a just comeupperance for that pow and the only ones one should feel bad for and have compassion with are the American soldiers. They're war criminals, Brad Pit should've been court martialed for that, yet it's shown as something positive and outright celebrated nowadays by Americans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    How about all the innocents we killed with drone strikes? the Japanese-american interment camps of ww2? Our economic reliance of cheap labor(exploited) from overseas? By your black/white standard you arguing we are all "evil"
    Even by other standards, the US isn't far away from the Axis Powers or Soviet Russia.

What, you think there's an agenda deliberately there to turn people evil?

They're obviously not going to write movies about God-Man, the perfect in morale and unlimited in power superhero. No one would come to watch it because there'd be no tension, no "Are they going to win? What are they going to do?"

At worst we're getting kind of cynical with this idea that not only should the good guys not always win, but that the very notion of them succeeding at all (at best some phyrric victory where they've lost something dear) is childish. That's not trying to turn people evil, it's just showing a lack of hope in humanity.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2015-01-30 at 02:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the illusion that evil people are not evil because they are bad but because something bad happened to them. In fact this is not true evil is not made it's born. Think about it.
    If evil is not made, but born... then clearly Hollywood CANNOT logically turn people evil. So either this comment is full of crap our your OP was (or secret option three: both are nonsense).

Sure movies could have an impact on a person, but there are simple remedies for such an impact. Influence from the parents, experience in a familiar setting, and education. Also, some chemical imbalances might alter a persons perception and behavior negatively, which would mean that a well-balanced diet could help a lot.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

This is the point I'm trying to make by brain-washing you into thinking that evil is made rather than inherent the implication of this is that the devil is not an at all bad guy. Do you see?
    The devil isn't a bad guy at all... because the devil is a myth. Blaming the bad things in the world on some boogeyman made up by primitives is as ridiculous as worrying about some voyeuristic father figure in the sky wagging his finger at you for masturbating. It's as silly as religions essentially bribing you with heaven and threatening you with hell after death if you don't comply with their rules in life. It makes as little sense as a god that creates humans with free will and then punishes them for exercising that free will if their choices run contrary to some predetermined plan. It makes as little sense as a god that allows "the devil" to exist at all just to torment his creations and "lead them astray." Take some responsibility and don't blame the bad in the world on a myth. The evil that people do is wrought by those that do it, not some mythological scapegoat.

The truth is that good and evil are constructs created by humanity. That doesn't make them any less real but they are things we as a species have defined for ourselves. I can't say if evil is born or made... but I am willing to bet it's more likely that it's somewhere in between, because life is very rarely as absolute black and white as some people would like it to be.

Plenty of Disney movies do this for example take Maleficent for example and how the evil witch was portrayed as incredibly humane and innocent something that's completely dissonant with her actions not to mention the character wears horns just like the devil so this is instilling further that the devil is good.
    This thread reminds me of people who wanted to burn Harry Potter books on a stake because it "teaches children occultism and satanism". Maybe we should stop trying to protect children from imaginary evils like "sympathizing with the devil" and instead protect them from real evil, like for example, teach them world isn't black and white and being nice doesn't exclude being evil? Most child abusers actually start by being nice to them. If we teach children that evil guy is always repulsive, ugly, rude and has no captivating qualities, then when they meet a captivating person they'll be completely gullible and believe nice = 100% good, evil people are only the disgusting ones. Right? Well, wrong.

I swear people who want to "protect the children" always concentrate on artificial problems like: nudity, vulgar language, fictional violence, satanism etc. and completely forget about the stuff that is actually important, like for example, how to not be naive, not get scammed, avoid trouble caused by lack of knowledge, and have your wits about you.

One dimensional characters are boring as hell. We all have a bad side wether you want to admit it or not. If a kid or person can't distinguish between fantasy and reality then there's other problems going on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I'm taking advantage of the UK's EU membership to spread British culture throughout foreign lands. I'm a modern day Francis Drake.
    I want to emmigrate to the Mediterrean aswell :/

Don't say I didn't warn ya'

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So what is hollywoods grand plan in the long run?

Also what antagonist do you enjoy watching?

Sorry, I stopped fearing the bogeyman when I was 5.

I think it makes the characters more interesting. 100% evil characters are boring and also don't reflect reality. It may even be positive for children watching this, as they can now be extra careful in real-life, because those 100% evil characters of old don't exist in reality, and so they might learn that not everything is as it seems, which is more helpful in life as compared to just learning that everything who is not clearly 100% evil is good.

Every human has at least something good about him (the "good" ones overwhelmingly so), of course that doesn't mean that you can ignore the evil actions, it just means that the world isn't black and white, but more complex and nuanced than that.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Welcome to real life. Pure evil does not exist, the world isn't black and white.
    Thread was over after this post basically.
    But as usual, the OP ignores the voice of reason in their thread so they can keep spreading their inane ramblings...

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Ok then. You take care now. Buh-bye.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    I take full responsibility for my actions like a responsible adult because eventually it's me and only me who eventually makes a decision. That's what complex villains taught me. I dunno why I need to be 'warned', I kinda figured this out on my own. Kids are a lot smarter than people often give them credit for.

So yeah, this supposed 'sympathising with the devil' helped shape me into someone who knows that your inner workings can never excuse your actions and that you alone should take responsibility.

<.<

>.>

*Runs around wearing underwear on his head and giggling*

Don't worry, we won't even remember your name. The human brain has evolved to forget a lot of the useless knowledge we accumulate over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Karadros View Post
    Don't worry, we won't even remember your name. The human brain has evolved to forget a lot of the useless knowledge we accumulate over time.

Cows have Human brains?