10+ Year Old Account

Question Would captcha type of game work in wow to combat farm bots?

In wakfu if you farm up to much you get spawned into a special zone where you need to beat captchacat in very simple game. You need to press on 3 fields to win (the one that cat has). Bots cant solve this riddle it seems and if they keep failing they get a gathering debuff (and probaly a ban after if they fail to much). Players however get rewarded by 40 resorce and some cash if the solve the puzzle.

Now lets say we place a similar game in wow.
    If you overfarm (number is random), you will get summoned into a special zone. In this zone you need to press randomly generated buttons on screen (lets say button 1A, 4B, 6C). If you win you get 1500 gold, 50 ore (if you farm ore) and a small chance of epic of your lvl that you can use.
    If you fail...24 hour debuff and for each fail you get extended by 24 hours till you hit 7 days wich triggers automatic ban (nobody can be that stupid).
    You get rid of a debuff till you beat the game again. The chance to encounter the *game* is higher as the larger you debuff is.

And its also time limited, so if you have a bot on a farming run for 6 hours, when you go to sleep, he will surely broke or even ban you.

Something like this would probaly be to hard:

...also colorblind person would be at disadvantage.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Not really.

There are cheap means to solve captcha, but the biggest issue is that it will annoy legit players mightily.

You fight bots by actually investigating them and making it easy for players to save you investigation time. Yes, it is entirely possible to handle bots in a game as big as WoW - LoL is much bigger than WoW and has way, way, waaaaaaay less bots.

I think you underestimate WoW's bots, they would be able to beat this kind of shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Not really.

There are cheap means to solve captcha, but the biggest issue is that it will annoy legit players mightily.

You fight bots by actually investigating them and making it easy for players to save you investigation time. Yes, it is entirely possible to handle bots in a game as big as WoW - LoL is much bigger than WoW and has way, way, waaaaaaay less bots.
    ...well the problem is that bot investigation is simply not effective in wow. A player can simply send a bot to do a 2 hour job and that player will never be caught.
    Right now they fight them by observing how long they farm (and yes...players dont report them due to the buggy ui or they are just lazy).
    So a simple system (and a little anoying), can actuly help in a long run.
    When i am farming i love geting hit by a bot detector. It saves me time and money and puzzle can be done in 20s or so . (20-40 gathering nodes)

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    ...well the problem is that bot investigation is simply not effective in wow. A player can simply send a bot to do a 2 hour job and that player will never be caught.
    Right now they fight them by observing how long they farm (and yes...players dont report them due to the buggy ui or they are just lazy).
    So a simple system (and a little anoying), can actuly help in a long run.
    When i am farming i love geting hit by a bot detector. It saves me time and money and puzzle can be done in 20s or so . (20-40 gathering nodes)
    Investigating bots is not rocket science, frankly. Sure, people can bot for 7 hours (a night) then play for 2 hours. if they do this regularly (like, for 2+ weeks) and you still can't detect them, it just means your detection means are lacking.

Players report bots much less now than they did before exactly because Blizzard are doing very little to act on those reports - reporting just feels like a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    LoL is much bigger than WoW and has way, way, waaaaaaay less bots.
    Is there really a huge market to make real life money in LoL via botting? I was under the impression that many of the bots used were to farm gold/resources to trade for gold, so they could then be turned into real life currency.

If that is still the case, there will never be an end to botting. So long as people can make money doing relatively 'nothing', it will continue.

There's a million better ways of finding bots without forcing the users to actively identify themselves as humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelaphim-EX View Post
    Is there really a huge market to make real life money in LoL via botting? I was under the impression that many of the bots used were to farm gold/resources to trade for gold, so they could then be turned into real life currency.

If that is still the case, there will never be an end to botting. So long as people can make money doing relatively 'nothing', it will continue.
    Yes, WoW bots farm gold / resources and then convert that into real money. But who's buying that gold for real money? People who want in-game benefits and are willing to pay real money.

The number of people who want in-game benefits in LoL and are willing to pay real money is vastly larger than in WoW. Champions, skins, ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Which is why Blizzard should just sell the gold itself, for less than the CHinese farmers are selling it, undercutting them out of existence. They aren't going to waste time if there's no money to be made in it. Those who buy gold will continue to do so, those who don't will continue to not do so all you do is eliminate the black market and replace it with a legit one.
    They can't sell the gold cheaper than the farmers. Whatever price they fix, the farmers are going to farm more so that their farmed gold is cheaper. If the farmers can't farm more because there isn't enough hours in a day, the gold will cost very, very little, and now, (a) if the prices for in-game items are the same as they are now, you will be able to buy everything in the game for $10 or so, but (b) if the prices for in-game items will grow to millions to compensate for vastly easier gold, there's suddenly no way to obtain these items by making gold via legit means in the game - you have to buy that gold for real money, and at that point, it's fairer to make the items that cost millions just cost real money.

Sum total, they can't sell the gold cheaper than the farmers. They just can't.
    Last edited by rda; 2015-01-29 at 03:03 PM.

I'd rather quit than fuck around with captcha to do anything in WoW. People keep suggesting this for PvP, all it would do is kill of half the legit players while killing off some bots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt0193 View Post
    I'd rather quit than fuck around with captcha to do anything in WoW. People keep suggesting this for PvP, all it would do is kill of half the legit players while killing off some bots.
    Its a mind game, not captcha type where you need to insert words you cant see. You could for example play wow version of this:

Click to move your orc from finish to start and try to win. If you win, you gain more stuff, that you get if you were last on start. (if you stand still and not move till the clock ticks..you fail it)

Even more simple:

Maybe even add a achivment to finish all types of them .

would annoy me to no end.

Deleted
    Would be funny to see a captcha popup during a raid