Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

8 Yr Old Arrested in France For Supporting Attackers (Greymane Global Trends) GGT

http://time.com/3687316/charlie-hebd...hild-detained/

PARIS — An 8-year-old boy from the south of France who claimed to support the men who attacked the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo was detained and questioned by police for defending terrorism.

Fabienne Lewandowski, deputy director for public security in the Alpes-Maritimes region, said Thursday that the boy declared “I am with the terrorists” and refused to take part in the national minute of silence for the victims. The storming of the newspaper offices left 12 people dead and launched three days of terror in the Paris region that killed a total of 20 people, including the gunmen.
    I think so far its not a violation of the child's own freedom of speech in which a child already has a limited right to. If he is charged and tried, there will be a clear violation. After all an arrest/detain/questioning is not a final judgment and is separate from guilt. At least in the U.S legal system, whether or not it is a clear difference from France is another.

(I still use the word arrest because that is the wording used in the article. I tend to not change articles I cite in a drastic way. I use the same wording if it is to be altered in order to clarify)

I think France is going to have some serious issues now, same as in the U.S where terrorism has won. People living in fear, hyper exaggerated media, and the the possibility of a loss of liberty.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2015-01-29 at 04:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He wasn't arrested, he was "Detained" and "questioned" which sounds the same but it is actually a LOT different. If you are training to be a lawyer you might want to learn the difference :P
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    He was not arrested. Headline is just clickbait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    He was not arrested. Headline is just clickbait.
    pretty much that lol. It was posted on FB in that way, I tend to not really change the titles of articles I use even for my own thread titles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    He wasn't arrested, he was "Detained" and "questioned" which sounds the same but it is actually a LOT different. If you are training to be a lawyer you might want to learn the difference :P
    I know, but like i said, I tend to not drastically change the titles of the articles I cite.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    pretty much that lol. It was posted on FB in that way, I tend to not really change the titles of articles I use even for my own thread titles.
    Those titles are very well known to be clickbait as well.

They should waterboard him to find out what he knows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by paluman View Post
    Those titles are very well known to be clickbait as well.
    Indeed they are. I just choose not to change the nature of the title when I apply them to my thread. I altered this one, but kept there wording to make it more clear about what the questioning/detainment was for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, kind of a stupid thing for a little kid to say really. Probably copied it from his parents at home. Maybe they made a joke in poor taste or something.
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    They should waterboard him to find out what he knows.
    Indeed.

And withhold puddings for a month at least.

That'll crack the lil terrorist supporting prick.

10+ Year Old Account
    It just seems that france is going down a bad route

10+ Year Old Account
    It just seems that france is going down a bad route
    It's been that way since the English and French crowns separated.

OT: This sounds like one of those 'scare the annoying little contrary brat using a figure of authority' things that adults do.

Deleted
    I would maybe take a gander at the parents, because that does sound like a rather strange thing for an eight year old to say?

10+ Year Old Account
    Its obvious his family had an influence on it. Shame the kids being taught killing is ok at such a young age. Basically taught, kill if youre angry

10+ Year Old Account
    Its obvious his family had an influence on it. Shame the kids being taught killing is ok at such a young age. Basically taught, kill if youre angry
    He might just be repeating what he heard some older kid say, maybe something from the TV or internet, perhaps he's just a little shit. There isn't any evidence to say he's being taught to kill if he gets angry or that killing is okay.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the kid said it at he's own free will, he needs to be put on therapy for being that sick in the head at that age. Otherwise the law needs to have a chat with his parents.
    Nobody likes you, everyone left you, they're all out without you havin fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Indeed.

And withhold puddings for a month at least.

That'll crack the lil terrorist supporting prick.
    Just tell him John Cena is going to retire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Standsinfire View Post
    Me: whyumad* fixed. Seriously though, it's only because they rapin' eveerbody in here and I don't want you to be snatched out yo' windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by noepeen View Post
    If that were my dog, I'd Hulk Smash the fuck out of that raccoon.
    Or I'd shit my pants.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Not for a second do I think an 8 year old decided to do it on his own free will. That way of thinking was beat into him somehow.
    Not necessary beaten.

Just mirroring the suroundings and he wanted to be extra edgy.

Someone has a different opinion that doesn't mesh with yours so they need therapy?
    Yeah, he's 8 and was likely influenced (aren't we all?) but just because he has a different opinion doesn't mean he needs therapy.

Quite frankly that comes across as a soft form of thought control. Should we start sending anyone who doesn't think like the majority to therapists?
    How long before therapy becomes a trip to a re-education camp?
    Scary times indeed when the "wrong" opinion warrants calls for "treatment".

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Arrested
    verb (used with object)
    to seize (a person) by legal authority or warrant; take into custody
    noun
    the taking of a person into legal custody, as by officers of the law.

Detain(ed)
    verb (used with object)
    to keep under restraint or in custody.

They seem similar to me. But hey.
    "It's not torture, it's enhanced interrogation." Word play is fun
    unless you were being sarcastic in which case I didn't pick up on it, sorry.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would say that they weren't worried the kid was a Terrorist, but kids generally repeat what Adults say.

They very well could have been just asking him "Did someone tell you to say this?" or "Did you hear this somewhere?" to try and suss out adult sympathisers.

He's 8 years old. Second or third grade. He's no more informed or aware of real world shit than a parrot at that age. He wouldn't even comprehend the concepts of malice or empathy yet. And he doesn't have any strongly held beliefs.

What he said was just a bunch of words he managed to string together, and the meaning of those words is significantly different to him than it would be to any of us. If we reacted to every 8 year old who said something immoral or malicious, then we'd have to conclude that there's an epidemic of psychopaths being born and raised now than ever in human history, when that's simply not true. Most kids that age are little shits who don't know any better. Don't overreact to it. Tell him what he said was wrong. Smack his hand. Don't let him have his afternoon snack. That's part of growing up and of normal socialization. But don't detain him or send him to therapy.

If there's actual evidence of him being abused, then action is necessary.