Why do some left-wing groups support Palestinian nationalism?

Given that Palestinian nationalists intend to create an Islamic theocracy that goes against everything these left-wing groups claim to represent, why would they ever support them? They are effectively condoning the stoning of homosexuals, genocide against Jews and Christians, women would be second-class citizens, police brutality would be commonplace and the sacrifice of almost every civil and human right these groups hold dear. Not only that, but a Palestinian state would be fundamentally anti-Western, unstable (see Fatah-Hamas conflict) and a state sponsor of terrorism.

How could anyone who claims to stand for "humanist values" or "freedom" possibly support Palestinian nationalism at this time? Surely it isn't worth jeopardizing every freedom you believe in, just so you can say "I'm too cool for Israel." Why not use this energy to support a legitimate cause instead, like Kurdish self-determination?

Note: I'm not saying that all Palestinians believe in these things, but the majority of them and their leaders do. I'm also not saying that there couldn't be a two-state solution far into the future (once Palestinian terror groups abandon violence). The Palestinians just aren't ready for statehood at this time.
    Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2015-01-29 at 05:05 PM.

Because what the Israeli government doing is shameful, is blatantly apartheid, and just because they are our 'allies', even though Netanyahu seems bound and determined to treat us like idiots constantly with his latest stunt, they shouldn't be given a free pass.

btw, it's not as though people can't support the palestinian's plight -and- kurdish self-determination if they want to, it's not an either-or thing.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SaigonRE View Post
    Given that Palestinian nationalists intend to create an Islamic theocracy that goes against everything these left-wing groups claim to represent, why would they ever support them? They are effectively condoning the stoning of homosexuals, genocide against Jews and Christians, police brutality and the sacrifice of almost every civil and human right these groups hold dear. Not only that, but a Palestinian state would be fundamentally anti-Western, unstable (see Fatah-Hamas conflict) and a state sponsor of terrorism.

How could anyone who claims to stand for "humanist values" or "freedom" possibly support Palestinian nationalism at this time? Surely it isn't worth jeopardizing every freedom you believe in, just so you can say "I'm too cool for Israel." Why not use this energy to support a legitimate cause instead, like Kurdish self-determination?

Note: I'm not saying that all Palestinians believe in these things, but the majority of them and their leaders do. I'm also not saying that there couldn't be a two-state solution far into the future (once Palestinian terror groups abandon violence). The Palestinians just aren't ready for statehood at this time.
    It's not that we're pro-theocracy. It's that we're anti-authoritarian oppression. We're anti-illegal land grab. We're anti-intimidation campaigns.

Both sides in that conflict are in the wrong. But we hold Israel to a higher standard because they're a wealthy first world democracy with a powerful military and we expect better behavior from them.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It's not that we're pro-theocracy. It's that we're anti-authoritarian oppression. We're anti-illegal land grab. We're anti-intimidation campaigns.

Both sides in that conflict are in the wrong. But we hold Israel to a higher standard because they're a wealthy first world democracy with a powerful military and we expect better behavior from them.
    Jeez, this thread ended quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post

Yes, but when palestine gets its state (And it will happen, and it should, and I mean technically some people already say they do but its not enough) are we going to hold them to the same high standards? Will we punish them for rocket attacks into israel? Will we hold their government to the same standards at that point?
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Yes, but when palestine gets its state (And it will happen, and it should, and I mean technically some people already say they do but its not enough) are we going to hold them to the same high standards? Will we punish them for rocket attacks into israel? Will we hold their government to the same standards at that point?
    Yes. Maybe not quite to the same degree as a wealthy nation like Israel, but we'll condemn their rocket attacks, just as we do now.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Logic dictates yes we should.

But reality, as seen by Israel itself in the acts done by them, indicates otherwise.

Unless vetoed condemnations count I guess.

Deleted
    Because the far Left is against the US and thus they are pro palestine since that pisses the US off to simplify it even if they pretend rational arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    With an opener that misrepresents the opposing position that badly, I don't see this being a productive discussion. Locking this.