Lightbulb Online Retailers tax?

So, I live in Washington state. But I havent bought anything from any online retailers in a few years. I've heard that congress is trying to push a bill requiring online retailers to tax everything. So, do online retailers charge tax now? Im just trying to check what states or retailers are charging taxes for online purchases now b4 making any buys..

Thanks.

Jeff bezos(CEO of amazon) is pushing for an online sales tax, so that it will push out smaller competition that lacks the infrastructure of his. http://money.cnn.com/video/technolog...s-tax.fortune/
    Otherwise jeff bezos is a self described "libertarian" against government for the poor, uses government for his advantage.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bytch View Post
    So, I live in Washington state. But I havent bought anything from any online retailers in a few years. I've heard that congress is trying to push a bill requiring online retailers to tax everything. So, do online retailers charge tax now? Im just trying to check what states or retailers are charging taxes for online purchases now b4 making any buys..

Thanks.
    Depends on the state - there isn't really a federal sales tax, except on a few particular things - and the general rule is if the online retailer has a physical office in the state of the sale - then it is sales taxable. (and vice versa) So it depends on the retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    Jeff bezos is pushing for an online sales tax, so that it will push out smaller competition that lacks the infrastructure of his.
    You're supposed to pay your local sales tax for online purchases even if the vendor doesn't collect it directly. But, that's an honor system, so nobody does.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    You're supposed to pay your local sales tax for online purchases even if the vendor doesn't collect it directly. But, that's an honor system, so nobody does.
    PFFT who does that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

So, Im buying parts for a new desktop from different retailers online. Seeing the price of $779 is price I'll be paying? (excluding shipping) <<-- example.
    Last edited by Bytch; 2015-01-29 at 08:48 PM.