Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    You mean actual excerpts from his actual book? I mean if you're just going to go for deliberate ignorance, at least give us the appearance of trying not to be.
    Shhhh....if they dismiss the source then they don't have to address the points made. That's how it works, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    Shhhh....if they dismiss the source then they don't have to address the points made. That's how it works, right?
    Here's an interesting statement from an Australian aid worker in 2004 in Fallujah.

Many families were stuck there with few supplies because US soldiers would not allow them to leave, she said.

"Even during a so-called ceasefire, Fallujah was under siege with bombing, missiles and mortar attacks," she said.

"But the worst form of attack was the US snipers hiding on rooftops who kill hundreds of civilians as they tried to move about the city."

On Sydney radio today, Ms Mulhearn described the ordeal as terrifying.
    Probably easy to boast of your body count if you're murdering civilians. After all, apparently the rules of engagement gave you permission as per Kyle's words last page.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Movie wasn't great. Had no political context, no fully developed characters apart from Kyle (even then). The cop out was that it was a 'character study'. But it wasn't because it didn't reflect Chris Kyles character from what we can read about him in his book, and see what he said.

The real Chris Kyle was a cunt. He was a liar (see Jesse Ventura vs Chris Kyle). He saw the world in black and white and not shades of grey. He thought he was a good guy by virtue of being white and american. And that the Iraqis were all bad guys or 'savages' as he called them in his book. He described killing as 'fun' and belived that everyone he shot was a 'bad guy'. He even said 'I couldn’t give a flying fuck about the Iraqis'. This is also what made him a good sniper, because he saw the world in terms of good and evil. Kyle at mimumum was a racist who enjoyed killing brown people.

The instant response from the right to support it and discourage anyone from thinking critically about the man, war and situation he was the standard response and its sad.
    Seems like I'll have to read his book to pick a side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Thought it was a great movie. Sure lots of shit was fabricated or dramatized but it is a movie it is meant to entertain.

Deleted
    War is hell. Probably the only thing that was flawed in all of that was that he took a handheld Tiger Woods game. He's a still a war hero that saved a shit ton of people's lives. Get over it. Also the baby crib thing? Stop trying to play off people's emotions. A sniper needs to be able to shoot shit, and if that was the best platform he could find than he should have used it.

Quote Originally Posted by DocHibb View Post
    Just saw it yesterday. It was a great movie! Thought it did a good job showing the effects PTSD has on soldiers and their families. He became more and more detached after every tour.
    Also, to paraphrase the movie, he isn't a redneck. He's from Texas, where they ride horses, not their cousins.

Also, I felt pretty patriotic after it, but not anti-Muslim like many people think.
    There is rednecks in Texas don't let them fool you.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    He's a still a war hero that saved a shit ton of people's lives.
    Apparently Iraqi civilians lives don't matter; Kyle's words concur. He confessed to wanting to blow away everyone with a Quran, after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    War is hell. Probably the only thing that was flawed in all of that was that he took a handheld Tiger Woods game. He's a still a war hero that saved a shit ton of people's lives. Get over it. Also the baby crib thing? Stop trying to play off people's emotions. A sniper needs to be able to shoot shit, and if that was the best platform he could find than he should have used it.
    All that proves is that he is a flawed human, not a war hero worthy of being constantly glamorized. He is entirely overrated for what he has done, especially when you've got MoH winners that decide to fade into the background and not write about their exploits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Here's an interesting statement from an Australian aid worker in 2004 in Fallujah.

Probably easy to boast of your body count if you're murdering civilians. After all, apparently the rules of engagement gave you permission as per Kyle's words last page.
    There are civilian casualties in war.

This kinda makes me laugh considering you're one of the biggest Obama worshippers on these forums. Thousands of civilians have died by airstrikes authorized by the Obama administration.

Get over shooting civilians?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes there are, and we try to avoid that. Not shoot more of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    All that proves is that he is a flawed human, not a war hero worthy of being constantly glamorized. He is entirely overrated for what he has done, especially when you've got MoH winners that decide to fade into the background and not write about their exploits.
    He's a flawed human that saved a shit ton of other soldiers from Iraqi insurgents by putting himself in harms way. Being a sniper is not a very safe job, and once you shoot you have a high chance of getting killed yourself. He is a war hero for that stuff.

You're handwaving snipers killing civilians. Really?

A war hero that shoots any male who looks old enough to be in highschool on sight because it is "unspoken rule". Yeah I doubt it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Get over shooting civilians?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes there are, and we try to avoid that. Not shoot more of them.
    Where in his book does it say he purposefully went out of his way to shoot civilians? Stop making up bullshit. War has civilian casualties. Get over it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinopotamus View Post
    Unverified does not make it false, he claims 160 which is his military recorded kill count, those are men shot, bodies retrieved. But he says he had shot some 40 + more in which the enemy retrieved the body first.
    You make it sound like every time a sniper takes a shot a CSI forensics team rushes out of the bushes, analyzes the blood spatter, the bullet calibre, the motion of body-drop, calculates the trajectory of the shot, and then uses GPS to confirm the sniper at the point of origin at the time of the shooting.

There is no body-collection team that I'm aware of, the idea of "Confirmed Kills" is nonsense that Call of Duty is probably responsible for popularizing. Kills are 'confirmed' by your spotter - you shoot them, your spotter confirms the hit - that is a confirmed kill. I didn't mention, didn't link to, and wasn't referring to his kill count - but if we're going to go there - what Kyle is claiming with the wildly different kill count discrepancy, is that ~half the time his spotter wasn't spotting him. No, instead - I was referring to his claim about killing 30 people during Hurricane Katrina, or 2 people during a robbery in Texas, or punching out Jesse Ventura in a bar: all of which have been more-or-less proven false by the total absence of evidence.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by dr2022 View Post
    A war hero that shoots any male who looks old enough to be in highschool on sight because it is "unspoken rule". Yeah I doubt it.
    “I couldn’t give a flying fuck about the Iraqis.” -Chris Kyle, American Sniper.

Where in his book does it say he purposefully went out of his way to shoot civilians? Stop making up bullshit.
    Dude. This shit has already been linked

https://ceinquiry.wordpress.com/2013...-kyle-snipers/

IN HIS OWN WORDS

Our ROEs [Rules of Engagement] when the [Iraq War] kicked off were pretty simple: If you see anyone from about sixteen to sixty-five and they’re male, shoot ’em. Kill every male you see. That wasn’t the official language, but that was the idea.
    Shooting civilians was corroborated by multiple other sources as well. He targeted civilians. That's not a war hero.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dr2022 View Post
    If someone looks like they pose an immediate threat you can shoot them. In fact the Obama administration believes that it's a-okay to bomb anybody "in military age range" and count them as a terrorist.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's a flawed human that saved a shit ton of other soldiers from Iraqi insurgents by putting himself in harms way. Being a sniper is not a very safe job, and once you shoot you have a high chance of getting killed yourself. He is a war hero for that stuff.
    and then made an ass out of himself in that book and in person when he got back. People are putting up on Jesus like levels, and that's freaking idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Shooting civilians was corroborated by multiple other sources as well. He targeted civilians. That's not a war hero.
    Wonder if the soldiers at My Lai claimed to be the deadliest around. Those war heroes.