Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What's up with all these inflated egos?

So I am doing some skirmishes for fun. I don't care *much* if I win or lose. I want to kill time.

So I end up with a teammate, who is clearly having no idea what he is doing.
    After blundering everything, doing nothing right we lose.

While I was calm and ready to queue for next game he started "why didn't you do this, or that"
    He was giving tips and blaming while he *clearly* had no idea what happened.

What is up with all these egos? Is he really incapable to realize his mistakes without being told so? I see it extremely often and not just in PVP.
    Even in raids, a lot of people are wrong about what happened, what went wrong and we wiped and they are extremely vocal as well.

And at the end of the story, even if in a parallel universe he was right, what is up with the urge to blame?

It all started in the lfr the biggest talker if you look is doing the worst dps, healing or tanking.
    I was in the lfr this week and one of the tanks was talking and blaming the other tank and when I paid attention it was the talker doing he mechanics wrong and using no cd's.
    Sad thing is most will listen to the talker and I have seen them get too dps, heals or better tank kicked.
    Most will just listen to the talker.

Appreciation and self-cognizance are all but completely gone in this game, and there's nothing and no one but try-hards who speak nothing but anything within the words "try harder" to whoever isn't them. Everything here is a shitty selfish competition and gimme.

Deleted
    I certainly do NOT have a big ego, I'm far too great for that kind of thing and even if I DID have a big ego, mine would be FAR bigger than anyone else' so... there! I definitely showed you!

.. Wait, what unimportant topic did the inferior OP wish to discuss again?

OT (For realsies):

It's just the way our online culture has been developing for quite a while. The subtle neighbor feud behavior of having the biggest, best, newest or cleanest things on the block has become a major part of online gaming. Even dating back to the arcade eras with ranking boards to moving forth with local and online multiplayer games made gaming less and less about entertainment and more about personal achivement. As we developed our eager to compete, produce and gained a more result oriented behavior in games where progression and performance is not only valued but also meassuable by end results, we've become very quick to make sure the world knows what flaws they carry while defending ourselves from blame by simply redirecting it.

Add the anonymity we share in todays gaming world where games like World of Warcraft, World of Tanks, League of Legends, Starcraft etc. etc. are modelled more and more to make us view other players as just 'players' and less as 'people'. We often forget that the players around us are living, breathing human beings with their own lives, goals, responsibilities and so on and so forth.

With that in mind, gaming is, and has become, more about personal glorification and less about accomplishments as a group. Certain aspects of games still encourage, if not enforce, a set of rules requiring you to work together with others to accomplish goals but.. without consequence for your own behavior it's far too easy to simply shift negativity onto someone else.

The circle continues as that person becomes negative and redirects the negative emotions and projections occour over and over untill someone, like yourself, gets hit and takes to the forums to ask why.

As mentioned above, players are people, human beings, and the guy who vented/blamed you was probably simply reprojecting blame HE recieved from someone else or reflecting his personal insecurity by placing the blame and negativity upon your shoulders, projecting his own self doubts unto the next target in the line.

Best way to end the circle is to remain positive and simply stay ahead. He likely did not mean anything BY his misplaced criticism so the smart money is to leave it, move on and grow. Whenever you're the victim of this kind of behavior it's easy to dismiss it aswell but it still provides a valuable chance to look inwards. The best human beings are the ones who ALWAYS question if they could/should handle one or more siturations better and improves on that. No matter how wrong the guy might have been for calling it out.

The best raiders ALWAYS question if they can do ANYTHING to improve their performance. The best PvP'ers are the same. The best human beings are ALWAYS looking for ways to be better people. The rest - eh..

Good luck on your future Skirmishes! =)
    Last edited by mmoc1f48e0f23e; 2015-01-30 at 07:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    It all started in the lfr the biggest talker if you look is doing the worst dps, healing or tanking.
    It's pretty easy to make a case that people talking out of their ass pre-dates LFR.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Welcome to humanity Op. Everyone has an ego. Even by you posting this your pumping your own chain by saying your not like that. People that humble themselves do the same thing. You can't get away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Welcome to humanity Op.
    i lol'd becuase you're kinda right

Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Deleted
    Nothing new there. In any competitive environment, blaming others removes a bit of anxiety when failing, while realizing your own faults feels bad. It's a short-term solution though since you will never improve, keep blaming others and never enjoy yourself. By instead accepting any mistakes you made, you can learn from them and improve.

This is true in most games. People act try-hard and when they can't improve, they start blaming others. "Elo hell" and stuff like that. All of this is just people not accepting their own mistake and thus being stuck at a certain skill level... and this fact is why complainers and whiners who blame others and rage are usually the worst players.

To whoever tries to rationalize that behavior might I bring up that places like school, work, compulsory army for those that have it, teach you to man up and acknowledge where you screwed up? Whenever I screw up I call it without hesitation. This is what I consider normal.

So how does humanity work exactly? Have I been living under a rock for the past 35 years?

Deleted
    i'm pretty sure the op is one of those he's talking about and that he was the one actually doing things wrong and not seeing it because of ego reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by onedirection View Post
    i'm pretty sure the op is one of those he's talking about and that he was the one actually doing things wrong and not seeing it because of ego reasons.
    The validity of your claims, and the contribution to the topic would be similar to me guessing that you like to dress with pink dresses being a hairy old man.

-None

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    The validity of your claims, and the contribution to the topic would be similar to me guessing that you like to dress with pink dresses being a hairy old man.
    then we are both correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    I was in the lfr this week and one of the tanks was talking and blaming the other tank and when I paid attention it was the talker doing he mechanics wrong and using no cd's.
    Sad thing is most will listen to the talker and I have seen them get too dps, heals or better tank kicked.
    Most will just listen to the talker.
    I think you will find it started before LFR. It is "it was your fault, not mine" mentality. If you think it only started in LFR, you are gravely mistaken I am afraid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I "try" to be nice to everyone. If someone is to out of controlablly jerk-ish, I remove myself or them.
    Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
    Signature by Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    To whoever tries to rationalize that behavior might I bring up that places like school, work, compulsory army for those that have it, teach you to man up and acknowledge where you screwed up? Whenever I screw up I call it without hesitation. This is what I consider normal.

So how does humanity work exactly? Have I been living under a rock for the past 35 years?
    I am afraid so. Students have more power. If a student is disruptive, the best the teacher can do is remove that student from the class. Lay one on the student and the teacher is reprimanded. At work, office politics and backstabbing occurs. Especially when promotions are being handed out.

At least this is what happens where I lived.

Even now, look at the TV. Some one split hot coffee on themselves, they can sue the shop for the coffee being too hot or the lid was not secure. No one takes accepts their own mistake when they can sue the other party and get money from it.

Quote Originally Posted by kinneer View Post
    I think you will find it started before LFR. It is "it was your fault, not mine" mentality. If you think it only started in LFR, you are gravely mistaken I am afraid.
    It got out of control in there with blizz doing nothing and being a looking for had no ramifications on ones home realm

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kinneer View Post
    Even now, look at the TV. Some one split hot coffee on themselves, they can sue the shop for the coffee being too hot or the lid was not secure.
    I think this is just in the US though. Might be in more places, but such a case would never stand a chance in most European countries.

Deleted
    PVP - bringing the worst out of people since Arena's.

Self awareness is not something that is commonly found in people unfortunately. What you call ego, I call a distorted view of oneself. It happens IRL too where you hear someone say "This person can't do this well" when you know the person SAYING that is guilty of the same thing. I see it every day and it's comical. It's no surprise we see it in video games, especially when anonymity is in play.