Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account

Feign Death on Mythic Koragh's Frost Magic - WCL Help please

Hello fellow hunters,

after a good amount of tries on Mythic Koragh last night I have to admit that I never got FD to work in a way that the Frost orb is not spawned on me. I am 99% sure that I hit FD more than early enough in most of the cases he aimed it at me (I use a WA for that too), but the orb was still applied. I tried to go through our logs to find out if I hit it too late or not, but I ran into two problems:

1) I could not figure out how to find out who the casted orb was aimed at (I assumed first person in the list hit by it, but not sure).
    2) It seemed to me, that the use of FD is simply not tracked by WCL. Is that correct or did I just not find it?

Can someone, who has done the fight this week, confirm to me that dropping the orb via FD still works? Is there any way for me to look through my logs and confirm that I simply used FD too late (or that its bugged, in case I did not hit it too late)? The other hunter in our raid reported the same thing btw.

Thanks in advance

Dunno about logs, but it still works. You have 1,5 seconds to feign death, if you started casting something or used an instant you have incurred in 1 sec gcd, so 0.5s to feign death (you won't make it), so even if you did fd, the orb will span anyway.

The best is to look at the timer and stop doing anything when it's missing 1 sec for his frost orb cast. If you're the target, as soon as he starts casting you can fd it.

I haven't been able to find a way to track Feign Death on WCL. It doesn't seem to trigger a combat log event. The only thing I could think of that might work is making a macro for feign death that also does something else off the GCD which triggers a combat log event, then track that second thing in WCL as a stand in for feign death. Counter shot was my first thought but there may be better options.
    Dibbler <Electric Sheep> - Mythic raiding 7/7, 2/3, 10 hours/week

FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Deleted
    dont sweat it too much, that's probably the most trivial part of the encounter.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    dont sweat it too much, that's probably the most trivial part of the encounter.
    It is way more than a million HP that does not need to be healed by the healers. I would not call it trivial (at the very least: not on progression).

I like that idea Thursley. In this case all we need to figure out is which off-GCD ability is best for this task.

WarBringerPT: I see what you are saying, but I certainly am not a big fan of potentially wasting 1+ GCD twice per fight for something that will hit me 1 out of... uhm... 20 (very rough estimate) times. So If there is a way to avoid that, I am going that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Sazda View Post
    It is way more than a million HP that does not need to be healed by the healers. I would not call it trivial (at the very least: not on progression).

I like that idea Thursley. In this case all we need to figure out is which off-GCD ability is best for this task.

WarBringerPT: I see what you are saying, but I certainly am not a big fan of potentially wasting 1+ GCD twice per fight for something that will hit me 1 out of... uhm... 20 (very rough estimate) times. So If there is a way to avoid that, I am going that route.
    I had a try where i was the target 3 times in a row. I prefer to waste a gcd and let the healers breathe better.

Deleted
    when frozen orb happens there is almost nothing else to heal and it's a breeze to heal through in general. never heard of anyone having issues with frozen orb damage with average skilled healers.

90% chance itll be casted on a player who cant invis anyways

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    when frozen orb happens there is almost nothing else to heal and it's a breeze to heal through in general. never heard of anyone having issues with frozen orb damage with average skilled healers.

90% chance itll be casted on a player who cant invis anyways
    Even if it's a breeze to heal, I think it's preferable to avoid any kind of avoidable dmg, specially if it's raidwide. If you can, why not? it's not 1 or 2 gcds that will make you wipe on that fight, it will be random deaths(frozen orb + fire dot + fel fire + 1 soakable orb falling).
    And given that at least priests, hunters and mages can avoid frost orb spawn, that 90% is 2 high, unless you raid with a shitty setup.
    Last edited by WarBringerPT; 2015-01-30 at 05:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    Even if it's a breeze to heal, I think it's preferable to avoid any kind of avoidable dmg, specially if it's raidwide. If you can, why not? it's not 1 or 2 gcds that will make you wipe on that fight, it will be random deaths(frozen orb + fire dot + fel fire + 1 soakable orb falling).
    And given that at least priests, hunters and mages can avoid frost orb spawn, that 90% is 2 high, unless youraid with a shitty setup.
    just saying, if you get any deaths from purely frozen orb+ other unavoidable damage it's 100% the healer's fault.

We just killed the boss yesterday, and although we didn't avoid any frost orb on the kill itself, it helped a lot during the learning process, removing strain from the healers.

Just make sure you emphasize the ability in DBM\Bigwigs. When it begins casting\warns, just FD (even before noticing if u're the target), if u're the target, dmg avoided.

Obviously, when you're used to the fight, and are close to the kill, avoiding it will be less and less important, and you will kill the boss regardless.

Always cool to avoid it though. I'm the type of guy that likes clean kills and 'minmax' performance, on every standpoint, so whenever a hunter\priest avoids the frost orb, i get happy.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Congrats hulkgor on the kill. I very much agree with everything you said. My only issue is this:

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Just make sure you emphasize the ability in DBM\Bigwigs. When it begins casting\warns, just FD (even before noticing if u're the target), if u're the target, dmg avoided."
    My way of doing it is essentially the same thing you are sugesting here:
    I have a huge warning come up on my screen as soon as he starts casting it (on me, and me only) so I avoid the FD if he does not cast it on me. As soon as it came up, I was certain that I hit FD in time but the thing was still applied to me. So I made this post mainly to find out how I can figure out (based on logs) whether my assumption is true or whether there is another issue (like hitting it too late or a bug).

Deleted
    I use a WA that warns me.. You have 1.5s to react once ko'ragh targets you and casts the ability.. This WA will show a huge flashing icon and give an alarm sound. Once this WA activates you have 1.5s to cast FD so I suggest having a FD macro with /stopcasting

duePfaqiLIQfPuPlPuqFsPqgfQkDkuvmlLc1TuQQDjr1WiP6yOkltI8mvjtts6AsOTPi9nvrJtIY5ijToLs1bvLAHi PhQuktuPKUijLnkj(Osrmsuv1jbKvQuGxQuuMjQQCtjWoPk8ta1qvQyPsqpfAQOYvvQYxvkXCrc7v8xsmyj1HPYIPk 9yLmzv1Lj2Sc9zKA0QcNMuVMKy2aDBf1Ur8Bugov1Yb9CPMoLRRY2veFNQOXJeDEawVsrA)k4WlCbNd(d(dxqkbECS flvEQ(tEfv9jpEVEwS4ZNtZ4(vvn4rmOMMwGHl41IYr0wOgSzhCjhrBb9bDaeyWMDWLeKkRBEbVwuA2bxYr0w8g8Ar 5lTDeTfQbpI2c6d6aiWGxlkn7GljEd(L2oI2c6d6aiWybxxBSzoHsBp)VZKGYeHybDltZiD4c2MdAHliniZtf3Y0ms W(bZZGZs3oArXa4lbl8nqBn4NPmlD7OLqn4S0TJwcwPqGrUHAGlK6qnWEmuxGABEWptPzh5hQbPbzEQmcDZsWTiovE FqxVD1O0xahQlWrRxd1vGS2gQzqVb)mfAqMNHAWMDKFqGiMahDlHI3)pWKMITiovEFqxtrbYx7Oazh53u8wd5pdskN rthSzh5RSE4iebmybU2eySybnOMMwGHlyZo4soI2cUbhrRIRd2SdUKGBgBJGo6hb)h0zAgjiVYlg8ArXDqhhaFjEd2 (ciOhUzjOAu6lGd1f4O1RTpuxbYAlO7Gooa(sWTQg19QujObWxckteIf8iYeHybn9S8dETOCeTfQbVwuAFzPh1lLMD WLCeTfQbLjcXcUn2SxNnuZpgDWRfLMDWLeQbVwuAFbe0d3SeQbVwuA2bxYr0w8g8Ar5lTDeTfQb)sBhrBb9bDaeySG pen9dlvkRu1PVEwSSPVuVuXPLvkJ7xTyqqM7hUGq3scxW5d00HlwSGxlkezIaJ3GMduiw4coFGMoCXIfeYaLWfC(an D4IflwWVU9bDaqZTuPdUHRGqHwZiCa8LG6fJe09)AtZioqfdQPPfyhU4bVWf0GAAAbgUGgaFj46AJnhCDTXMdoEKLP ze(YNHAOyhKmuVhrBa17r0gF31lRBEMdsl2UB8q9U(GoacCx(mulKFW(8kteIH34OMYGkB7nYPGCVlKl46HSuj45)D MeCDTXMvma(sW2C21bLjcXcYFXbApc2NxzIqSDGYOMYG4oQXp(fl4rmOMMwGHl46AJnhC8iltZi8Lpd1qXoizO2GNm ulKFSyXc2MBPsVdttSGCaVtHaTj8NlO(hunk9fWH6cC061qDfiRTHAg0Bqp1F7rQuD60IVuTepEQYRyPPVMMX9Rwni aGhhBXsLIVE9Qyj15vMQLEovDELY4(vRgKCZCqnnTa74rPGFD7d6aa0IrcceXe4OBjua0IrAkAFbeuzeYAtzeY2uHW GEdUymWpZtsOglyhSu5QxUQLxwWjXdEvlPESea

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the WA. If you read my original post, you will see that I am already using one (and I also use a stopcasting FD macro). My point is that despite hitting FD the moment this warning comes up, the orb is still cast on me and I am trying to figure out where the problem is.

Deleted
    Thanks for the WA. If you read my original post, you will see that I am already using one (and I also use a stopcasting FD macro). My point is that despite hitting FD the moment this warning comes up, the orb is still cast on me and I am trying to figure out where the problem is.
    Maybe your WA is incorrect made? Try my WA, our hunters and priests are using it with 100% success rate if you are timing it well.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    It is not incorrectly made. It works just fine.

Basically, someone already gave the answer. If you're in the middle of a GCD, you'll feign too late. Watch your timers, free up a GCD right before the timer goes off, wait for the cast, feign.

just to point out, not sure if it's true or not, but one of our hunters complained that his cast didn't stop and so he couldnt FD, so put 2 of the "/stopcasting" in your FD macro

Deleted
    just FYI feign death is out of the gcd

Quote Originally Posted by mokuton View Post
    just FYI feign death is out of the gcd
    hm, prolly didnt work at the time since I don't have FD macroed with stopcasting. Will create a macroed FD with stopcasting.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    FYI: The problem here was that I did not use my FD (stopcasting) macro that I had set up and instead only had the normal ability on my bar. I fixed that and it worked every time from then on. Thank you everyone for your input and help with this.