View Poll Results: Shadow or no shadow?

Voters
25. This poll is closed
  • He sees his shadow -- six more weeks of winter.

20 80.00%
  • He doesn't see his shadow -- early sping.

5 20.00%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Poll] Will Punxsutawney Phil see his shadow this year?

Groundhog's day is right around the corner, so let's take a poll: what will the outcome be?

For those who aren't familiar, Punxsutawney Phil is a groundhog that predicts the future of weather here in the US! This is from the FAQ!
    • Yes! Punxsutawney Phil is the only true weather forecasting groundhog. The others are just impostors.
    • How often is Phil's prediction correct? 100% of the time, of course!
    • How many "Phils" have there been over the years? There has only been one Punxsutawney Phil. He has been making predictions for over 125 years!
    • Punxsutawney Phil gets his longevity from drinking the "elixir of life," a secret recipe. Phil takes one sip every summer at the Groundhog Picnic and it magically gives him seven more years of life.
    • On February 2, Phil comes out of his burrow on Gobbler's Knob - in front of thousands of followers from all over the world - to predict the weather for the rest of winter.
    • According to legend, if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter weather. If he does not see his shadow, there will be an early spring.
    • No! Phil's forecasts are not made in advance by the Inner Circle. After Phil emerges from his burrow on February 2, he speaks to the Groundhog Club president in "Groundhogese"(a language only understood by the current president of the Inner Circle). His proclamation is then translated for the world.
    • The celebration of Groundhog Day began with Pennsylvania's earliest settlers. They brought with them the legend of Candlemas Day, which states, "For as the sun shines on Candlemas Day, so far will the snow swirl in May..."
    • Punxsutawney held its first Groundhog Day in the 1800s. The first official trek to Gobbler's Knob was made on February 2, 1887.
    • So the story goes, Punxsutawney Phil was named after King Phillip. Prior to being called Phil, he was called Br'er Groundhog.

edit: typo on spring in the poll, sorry about that
    Last edited by Anonymous Coward; 2015-01-30 at 06:33 PM.
    Happy new year to all, and to all a good night!

Deleted
    Are you on drugs?

it's a national holiday in US? i always thought it was local for punxsutawney...

I'm sorry but can you ask him to read my horoscope for that day if he has the time?

huehuehue, Gobbler's Knob.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I'll say "no".

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    So wait... This is actually a thing in the US and not just fluff made up for that Bill Murray movie? Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Ray III View Post
    it's a national holiday in US? i always thought it was local for punxsutawney...
    Its a holiday, but nobody gets it off.

im feeling early spring this year. *crosses fingers*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    Its a holiday, but nobody gets it off.
    Mr Gobbler does.

Are you on drugs?
    This seems to be an actual thing and not just Bill Murray movie.
    On the other hand they must all be on drugs.

Mr Gobbler does.
    Richard Gobbler?

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope he does see his shadow. I want winter to stay for as long as it can. I really don't want to deal with 3-4 months of allergies, and then the heat and bugs....ugh. It's why I love cold weather so much, none of that shit to deal with.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weathe...phil/22581905/

"Since 1887, the groundhog has seen his shadow 101 times for a longer winter and not seen it 17 times to predict an early spring. (There is no record of the prediction for nine times in the late 19th century.)"

Looks like if I was a betting man I'd say he would see it

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    I hope he does see his shadow. I want winter to stay for as long as it can. I really don't want to deal with 3-4 months of allergies, and then the heat and bugs....ugh. It's why I love cold weather so much, none of that shit to deal with.
    uuuugh fuck that, allergies can at least be dealt with by taking some Reactine or something. Dry ass air winter air making my sinuses all fucky, only option is to turn my house into a swamp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Richard Gobbler?
    My surname is not Gobbler.

Okay, just to be clear, do people actually believe a rodent made it past 10 years? The answer may increase my fear of idiots with nukes...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Okay, just to be clear, do people actually believe a rodent made it past 10 years? The answer may increase my fear of idiots with nukes...
    He drinks a magic potion, can you not read?

My surname is not Gobbler.
    Pumper then!

He drinks a magic potion, can you not read?
    I hope this is the kid friendly "Santa is real" answer, else this is really frightening.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how the hell do you pronounce that mumbo-jumbo name?