Thread: 660ti old news?

660ti old news?

I currently am running a GTX 660ti in my comp. Just wondering if its worth it to spend the money and upgrade or hold out a little longer. Is this card really out of date and old? Card is running fine an all. Just looking ahead for new and better things

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on your needs. If it runs fine then why upgrade? Especially with AMD about to release a new series of cards like the 390? As far as DX11 goes, games will work just fine. If it's 2Gb of ram then it should work fine for most games. Unless you want ultra settings on every game at 1440p or higher, then you don't need to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Drae58 View Post
    I currently am running a GTX 660ti in my comp. Just wondering if its worth it to spend the money and upgrade or hold out a little longer. Is this card really out of date and old? Card is running fine an all. Just looking ahead for new and better things
    Card is 2 generations old, but that doesn't mean much. Compared to the brand new 960 that came out this month:
    http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-...rce-GTX-660-Ti

I do not think it is worth $200 for that small of an increase in performance.

Even going for a 970:
    http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-...rce-GTX-660-Ti

You're looking at $300+ for again, some increase in performance, but is it $300 worth?

I would wait until at least later this year when AMD releases it's new GPUs and see what that does to nVidia prices, if anything, or wait for the next gen nVidia's.

The answer to this question, as with all questions like it (as others above have stated): does it feel slow to you?

Yes: upgrade.
    No: don't upgrade.

I just upgraded my wife's video card from a GTX 275 to the GTX 960, and she was only just starting to notice the poor feeling of the six-year-old video card. If your 660 is holding out well - and it should be, since performance increases have not been as staggering with subsequent NVIDIA x60 cards - hold on to it for a bit longer. If you plan on gaming at 1440p or 2160p, perhaps a new GPU is in order, something along the lines of the recently-price-dropped Radeon 290X or the GTX980.
    Super casual.

Nah no need for upgrade, even nvidia says you shouldn't upgrade a gtx 760 to a 960 (660ti is only slightly slower than a 760).

Much appreciated. Thanks for the responses!

Gonna stick with what I have for now and wait.