Thread: Demonology help

Demonology help

I just came back from a break from WoW since the beginning of ToT, and I'm trying to get into a guild to raid with my friends, but I need to improve my dps. My warlock is Aravell, on Mal'ganis, unfortunately I can't post links to my warcraftlogs or armory yet because I haven't posted on MMO-champ much yet. If anyone can check it out and give me a few tips I'd really appreciate it, I also have a few questions for you guys though:

Firstly what stat priority are you guys running? I read the Demo guide on this forum and it seems pretty great but I recently spoke to a really good warlock I know and he said he runs Mastery > Crit > Haste=Multistrike > Versatility, and I'd like to get some more opinions before I change my entire stat priority

Secondly do most of you run Supremacy or Synergy? I haven't really tried Sup yet but I'm thinking it might give me more consistent results

Lastly when are Immolation Aura/Hellfire worth using?

I think I had more questions but can't remember them right now lol

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aravell View Post
    I just came back from a break from WoW since the beginning of ToT, and I'm trying to get into a guild to raid with my friends, but I need to improve my dps. My warlock is Aravell, on Mal'ganis, unfortunately I can't post links to my warcraftlogs or armory yet because I haven't posted on MMO-champ much yet. If anyone can check it out and give me a few tips I'd really appreciate it, I also have a few questions for you guys though:

Firstly what stat priority are you guys running? I read the Demo guide on this forum and it seems pretty great but I recently spoke to a really good warlock I know and he said he runs Mastery > Crit > Haste=Multistrike > Versatility, and I'd like to get some more opinions before I change my entire stat priority

Secondly do most of you run Supremacy or Synergy? I haven't really tried Sup yet but I'm thinking it might give me more consistent results

Read the guide, every single one of your questions has been answered at some point there.

As if you can even change your entire stat priority? You can only change 275 secondary stats not including gems and possibly rerolling crafted gear. If you aren't going Mastery as your main stat in the first place, then I don't even want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevoa View Post
    Read the guide, every single one of your questions has been answered at some point there.

As if you can even change your entire stat priority? You can only change 275 secondary stats not including gems and possibly rerolling crafted gear. If you aren't going Mastery as your main stat in the first place, then I don't even want to know.
    Thanks for the incredibly constructive response Zevoa, but I wasn't looking for someone to give me attitude without even looking at my armory. I'm looking for constructive criticism. And yes, I am taking mainly mastery right now, what I'm asking about is crit vs haste mostly as 2nd best, and it does make a difference. Clearly not everyone follows the guide to the letter, so I was looking for opinions.

Edit: Nevermind. I have nothing constructive to add.

Edit: just relogged with the right talents/glyphs, should've done that earlier

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the incredibly constructive response Zevoa, but I wasn't looking for someone to give me attitude without even looking at my armory. I'm looking for constructive criticism. And yes, I am taking mainly mastery right now, what I'm asking about is crit vs haste mostly as 2nd best, and it does make a difference. Clearly not everyone follows the guide to the letter, so I was looking for opinions.
    You're welcome.

What the other posters have said, literally all of your questions are covered in the guide, and discussed at length in the posts that follow it.

10+ Year Old Account

Aravell, welcome to the MMOC Forums! With that being said, I'll try to bridge the gap a bit between the guide and your questions.

The stat priority is Mastery > Haste=MS > Crit > Vers, an option would be valuing more Crit than Haste in Highmaul due to having no Haste gear available. Haste is a stat that decreases Demonbolt debuff timer which is your main source of damage, as well decreasing Imp Swarm cooldown. Also, the stat weights with Demo are and have always been close since MoP, getting a piece of gear will inflate a certain stat so you should sim / test your weights for a more accurate reading.

For single target I run Supremacy, so for Normal / Heroic Highmaul I would run Supremacy on Kargath, and Butcher, and Synergy on the rest. However, you shouldn't delay your Demonbolt cycle for a Synergy proc, it's a "if it's up then cool" kind of thing. All those talents on that tier are close, Synergy only becomes better if you can get the proc when you want to like stated above.

Immolation Aura / Hellfire: Here is the AoE rotation taken from the Demo guide that was mentioned:

1. Use Mannoroth's Fury with Metamorphosis: Immolation Aura
    2. Keep Metamorphosis: Doom ticking on all targets. Under 8 Targets it needs to tick once, over 8 it should tick at least twice.
    3. Keep Corruption ticking on all targets. The fury generating will help having higher uptime on Metamorphosis: Immolation Aura.
    4. Chaos Wave If the targets will be alive under 10 seconds and you will not run out of fury for AoE, if that is not true than use a 2 stack of Hand of Gul'dan.

With that being said, Immolation should be used if the Fury will allow it and if there is 3 or more targets, and if being in Melee allows it, usually all 3 of these aren't true so you won't see much damage from this ability on a log.

If you have anymore questions just let us know.
    Last edited by Santoisms; 2015-01-31 at 09:46 AM.

For stat priorities; Crit, Multistrike, and Haste are so close together for demo that you should just sim your character to find out. As a rule of thumb, the more you have of a stat, the more you'll want of the other two.

All the grimoires are extremely close but GoSyn can potentially net you the most dps out of the three with proper RNG. I personally run GoSup on most encounters because I prefer the consistency it provides over the RNG-fest of GoSyn.

There really isn't an encounter in Highmaul where you can capitalize off of the aoe of either outside of Kargath if you're doing the stands.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Pockitt; 2015-01-31 at 10:55 AM.

thanks a lot for the replies guys, also Pockitt I like your avatar lol
    unfortunately after being gone for so long ive completely forgotten how to use simcraft, not that I was ever very good at it, I'll have to figure it out again
    That pretty much answers everything I wanted to know though so again thanks a bunch

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks a lot for the replies guys, also Pockitt I like your avatar lol
    unfortunately after being gone for so long ive completely forgotten how to use simcraft, not that I was ever very good at it, I'll have to figure it out again
    That pretty much answers everything I wanted to know though so again thanks a bunch
    You can use this guide if you need it: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Simcraft-guide

Thanks to Santoisms for taking the time to tl;dr the guide.

Seeing as that answers everything, like you said, I'll be closing down this thread. For future reference, keep in mind that we prefer questions like this in the Demonology guide for obvious reasons. And welcome to MMOC.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud