10+ Year Old Account

Returning for 6.1 - LF Quality Shaman Feedback Please!

Hey friendly Shaman folk,

Serious WoW player here, been at it since vanilla. I took a break when Destiny was released but now I'm getting ready to return to WoW. Letting the first months on Live pass by worked wonders for me too in Mists. I played the Beta extensively so I pretty much know what's up. I also tried to keep up on this site and know Shaman hasn't been where we (those who truly love the class) want it to be.

I've read all the threads here but I'm looking for answers regarding the feel. I'm a hardcore player but I don't go for world first and high level progression raiding. So my main questions are whether the lack of performance currently (and with the 6.1 changes) is bearable for 'normal' usage, and if the feel and fun of the class is still there. I'm fine with not being top DPS, as long as I can make it work without being hindered too much by serious class problems.

I would probably aim to play Ele in PvE and Enh in PvP. Will I be able to do that? At a level where I can contribute seriously to raids and not feel like all my BG and arena time is an uphill struggle?

I have nearly all classes so I do have alternatives. After many, many years of tanking and playing melee I do intend to play as ranged DPS. I have a Mage, Hunter, and Warlock too. If any of those are in a particularly good spot right now, not just because the DPS is good but because the playstyle is incredibly fun due to current mechanics, I could opt to start off with one of those.

Any serious feedback is greatly appreciated. I will level my Shaman regardless, but if the current state truly hinders enjoyment I would rather start with another ranged DPS to ease back into things.

Thanks!

Deleted
    Elemental ain't that bad in PvE. Enhancement is preeeeeeeeetty shit at single target damage come BRF, and their AoE won't be as hot as it is now, but in PvP they have certain comps in which they do very well.

Shaman isn't on the top of the world, but the differences between classes are honestly marginal nowadays. There are a few outliers (especially in PvP, resto druids I'm looking at you), but generally everything is fairly balanced. Could be better, has been much worse.

Don't play elemental in arena though, they're totally trashcan at arena. One of the exceptions to the "balance" rule.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds reasonable and certainly good enough for me to enjoy the class. Thanks!

And more opinions are always welcome, especially if another ranged DPS is currently excelling at the fun the gameplay/rotation offers.

Elemental shamans often complain about the clunkiness of the rotation and how they are unable to do anything on the move. I don't play elemental myself (enhancement), but they don't seem very fun even if the performance is OK.

Honestly, mages have all going for them ATM. Their 3 specs are hyper competitive (AKA at the top) and they all have their fights where they have their advantages. If you're looking for diversity then mage could be interesting, same goes for hunter with MM/Surv depending on fight (and BM on big aoe?).

Elemental is a very simple rotation with few buttons to press and 0 raid utility. Very straightforward and boring if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

Quote Originally Posted by sarasun View Post
    Elemental is a very simple rotation with few buttons to press and 0 raid utility. Very straightforward and boring if you ask me.

1. Keep flameshock applied to your target ( 50% increase dmg taken from LvB )
    2. Keep LvB on cd, so Flameshock can refresh it
    3. Earthshock with 18+ stacks of fulmination ( reason for 18 is the set soon to come and you better be used to it )
    4. Keep Fire totem down
    5. LB as filler

Yes the rotation is pretty simple, but to be able to min/max you need to choose different talents than those +5% haste and such and such. as to where it gets complicated.

This rotation is not counting in your CDs, look them up. And see if you like it, if not then maybe this is not for you. The x-class is now on y-ladder will change.

Changes to come: Earthquake will become instant cast when Chain lightning is casted on +3

Glyphs: [Glyph of Spiritwalker's Focus] - 1min cd on Spiritwalkers grace ( 8sec freecasting while moving ) i find this a must have in Highmaul
    [Glyph of Chain Lightning] - +2 targets to Chain lightning (for each target hit by chain lightning your EQ do 60% more dmg)

Mastery: feels useless but is in fact powerfull. If you attack the target you will do dmg to the target for 6seconds. almost like the orbs from mages when casting icelance.

Summary: the spec is alot of decision making because of random procs and shocks sharing CD. I find the spec fun, apart from the PvP concept of it. And I'm not going to tell why I dont find PvP ele-shaman fun which is why i got a hunter for that part.
    Last edited by monet820; 2015-02-01 at 03:30 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theistic View Post
    Elemental ain't that bad in PvE. Enhancement is preeeeeeeeetty shit at single target damage come BRF, and their AoE won't be as hot as it is now, but in PvP they have certain comps in which they do very well.

Shaman isn't on the top of the world, but the differences between classes are honestly marginal nowadays. There are a few outliers (especially in PvP, resto druids I'm looking at you), but generally everything is fairly balanced. Could be better, has been much worse.

Don't play elemental in arena though, they're totally trashcan at arena. One of the exceptions to the "balance" rule.
    What makes you think that? As far as I know there hasn't been any nerfs to enhancement AOE in 6.1.

10+ Year Old Account
    My elemental shaman is currently my main because I find it fun, despite some of the clunkyness. However realistically survival hunters play almost the same (flame shock = black arrow and lava burst = explosive shot), however I like the feel and look of the elemental shaman better plus I love having a healing offspec. Realistically I'd likely be better off with the hunter as likely the hunter will almost always have a viable spec and they have the most mobility in the range department (plus they are now the buff bots that shaman use to be).

So I think you will be fine with Shaman as IMHO opinion they are still fun but likely we'll always be a bit of a roller coaster class.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    What makes you think that? As far as I know there hasn't been any nerfs to enhancement AOE in 6.1.
    Echo got changed (read: nerfed).
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasun View Post
    Echo got changed (read: nerfed).
    Echo is hardly a nerf for enhancement, it just kills the randomness.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Echo is hardly a nerf for enhancement, it just kills the randomness.
    No, it is a nerf. You can store 2 charges of FN but after that you don't get any extra FN's anymore. It's a slight boost to burst AOE but any AOE that is somewhat persistent will see a nerf because you only get one extra FN while current echo will often give you much more extras.

No one really knows how it will rank up in single target situations because of the flurry bug on PTR, but we know for a fact it is a nerf to it's AOE capabilities outside of very short burst AOE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apart from mechanical issues, we're fine in PvP. I can't say anything for PvE though, I don't play it.

Enhancement goes well in Turbo Cleave and Beast Cleave and Elemental is good in LSD and Thunder Cleave. Once 6.1 comes, Restoration Shaman will replace Restoration Druid's as the top healer. We already counter Druid's but the patch will be the icing in the cake.

We have problems but we're still viable.

Enha - good AoE, bad single target damage. Decent at mobility fights.

Elemental - good AoE, mediocre single target damage. HORRIBLE at mobility fights, not getting fixed in 6.1 (so far).

Both specs are AWFUL in PvP.