Deleted

Protests over Immigration Street

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-31065073

I didn't even know this show existed... I like Channel 4, especially its dedication to British comedy however it's current trend of trashy reality and documentaries are going a tad too far such as Benefits Street and The Undatables which pretend to be positively showing the other life where in reality they're just taking the proverbial piss out of the individuals simply because it's a current media frenzy

Is the show inaccurate? Does it focus on the stereotypes? If the show is inaccurate and it becomes a hit I can see it harming the people it depicts. I would think the producers of the show would have an obligation to show people who are not living the stereotype, healthy well adjusted types. Then it would be okay to show the uneducated fundamentalist living in squalor with 14 kids.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    "They have also handed in a petition of more than 1,000 signatures."

"Benefits Street received more than 1,700 complaints over a perceived negative portrayal of benefits claimants."

Cut to the british version of the FCC saying "As we all know, every complaint is one billion peoples thoughts!"
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    Ugh...i cringe everytime I see something about immigration in british news, because it's always the same point of view, the same nationality bashing, unresearched, biased crap that I've had to digest for almost 3 years. Now there is a show out there to grind my gears further.
    I guess immigrants will NEVER be able to wash themselves of stereotypes no matter how hard they try to go against them.
    Last edited by mmoc438dc94cad; 2015-01-31 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    "They have also handed in a petition of more than 1,000 signatures."

"Benefits Street received more than 1,700 complaints over a perceived negative portrayal of benefits claimants."

Cut to the british version of the FCC saying "As we all know, every complaint is one billion peoples thoughts!"
    Yeah, it's fucking terrible. A show gets 4 complaints out of ten million views and the BBC is forced to make an apology for offending somebody (instead of telling them to stop watching if they don't like it).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    Ugh...i cringe everytime I see something about immigration in british news, because it's always the same point of view, the same nationality bashing, unresearched, biased crap that I've had to digest for almost 3 years. Now there is a show out there to grind my gears further.
    I guess immigrants will NEVER be able to wash themselves of stereotypes no matter how hard they try to go against them.
    TBF it's pretty much like that in any country

Deleted
    Why are some idiots always trying to use something that is "popular"?

Je suis un immigrant?

Deleted
    It would be nice if one of these shows portrayed immigration in a good light. Take my next door neighbours; both hard working, full time employed as nurses, children, English speaking & generally integrated well... but no, we all know this is going to be the worst of the worst and trashy AF to get anti-foreigner types whipped into a frenzy.

The series is based on people living in the city's Derby Road, which the TV station calls "ethnically diverse".

Let them broadcast it, there is no issue. Don't like it? Don't watch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Why are some idiots always trying to use something that is "popular"?

Je suis un immigrant?
    It could well be that she is actually French - we have a lot of them despite my protests to Westminster.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It could well be that she is actually French - we have a lot of them despite my protests to Westminster.
    Doesn't change a bit of what I said. She wouldn't use that sentence before the shooting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Doesn't change a bit of what I said. She wouldn't use that sentence before the shooting.
    It's just French for "I am an immigrant" and being held up by a little old white lady to break the stereotype people usually have of immigrants. I associate it more with Spartacus (Kirk Douglas version).

I'd appreciate some balance instead of a black and white view of things. In the US, we have wildly productive immigrant populations and wildly unproductive immigrant populations. There's no need to pick one side.

Deleted
    This thread is skewed in the wrong way because the op used the word immigrant and associated the topic with benefit claimants.

This thread is about benefit claimants some of whom are also immigrants.

There is no room for discussion about productive immigrants in this thread because that's not what the topic is about.

I feel sad that this thread will ultimately lead to people to excusing immigrant benefit claimants because of productive immigrants.

People will naturally mix their viewpoints up because the op has mixed the subject matter up.