Poll: Which one would you get?

Which should I get first with my tax refund?

Getting a little over 3K back from my tax refund, going to buy toys and save the rest. But im on the fence between building a sweet mini itx computer with a z97 board, plextor m.2 ssd, hadron evga case and a gtx 680 which the 680 is coming out of my current setup which is a 2500K OCed. The other option is the oculus rift which ive wanted for a while now and a galaxy s5 phone to replace my galaxy s2.

In the end which would you get?
    Last edited by electthedead; 2015-01-31 at 09:23 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gogo Hadron.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

You crazy, 2500k is still a boss! Id go with the phone (although id go with the HTC one M9 soon to be released).

I would not even consider Samsung phones at this point. They had good build quality back in the day of the mentioned Galaxy SII, now they just have a bloated UI and a tacky feel. Better options would be LG, ASUS or Sony-phones.
    I would also wait on the Rift to be finalised instead before purchasing it.

The eVGA hadron is okay for being an eVGA product, but it's a bit on the big side.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I said what I voted for, but I also share tetris' sentiments.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I would not even consider Samsung phones at this point. They had good build quality back in the day of the mentioned Galaxy SII, now they just have a bloated UI and a tacky feel. Better options would be LG, ASUS or Sony-phones.
    as if you read my soul ^^

I still use my Galaxy S2 as my daily driver - but meanwhile my OS has been replaced by CM11 M11 ^^ Runs perfectly. Love it !

Considering the purchase options: Actually I don't think that today ANYBODY (personal opinion) needs a 500+$ smartphone.
    Take for example the Nexus 5 or Moto G (2014) ... the first costing around 300-350$ and the latter ONLY 180$ .. and they are both extremely fine phones that run everything you throw at them.

Better invest into your rig ^^ playing games with higher settings is always a treat - making my mail app open 10ms faster isnt.

10+ Year Old Account
    An RRSP or your nation's equivalent.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post

The eVGA hadron is okay for being an eVGA product, but it's a bit on the big side.
    Cyanogenmod ftw. That said...you're choosing between a new computer, or a phone and a 3D device. I have no idea...which one do you want more?

Galaxy S6 is right around the corner so I wouldnt even consider that.
    I'm bias though because I have wanted to build a solid mini itx build for a while.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by electthedead View Post
    Getting a little over 3K back from my tax refund, going to buy toys and save the rest. But im on the fence between building a sweet mini itx computer with a z97 board, plextor m.2 ssd, hadron evga case and a gtx 680 which the 680 is coming out of my current setup which is a 2500K OCed. The other option is the oculus rift which ive wanted for a while now and a galaxy s5 phone to replace my galaxy s2.

In the end which would you get?
    I got a S5 to replace my S2 actually (as that jump) if you want the truth, I love it. It has some great features, but if I could do it over I wouldn't have spent so much money on it.
    Oculus Rift like 3D gaming is something that would be nice every now and then, but you wouldn't use it everyday.
    You can probably pick up a decent quality S5 on amazon warehouse deals for £300 ish.

Personally, although I use my phone for work a lot, I find that a lot of the software is clunky and badly written.
    S Health doesn't pair up and match data with any of the gear watches,
    gallery constantly fails to load once you get more than 100pictures
    if you use the Cover app, you will never be able to go straight to contacts with it, it will always fail.
    16gb of storage space can disappear faster than you can boil a kettle.#
    Mine seems to constantly freeze or stop responding for short periods of time seemingly at random.
    It uses cheap plastic backing and finishing. (not chrome for the edges) if you drop it, be prepared to pay £130+ to have a "new rim" fitted.
    The camera isn't actually all that good. It takes some great daytime shots, but once the light starts fading, you are looking at either spending 10-20 seconds to take a picture or some really fuzzy low quality images.
    -
    It's not all doom and gloom. I have taken some amazing under-water shots (you wouldn't believe how many women were lining up in the pool at the hotel to get underwater pictures taken - so if you are into that sort of thing, its a bit of a babe magnet) and I also dropped it in the indian ocean and spent nearly an hour looking for it. water was probably about 2m where we eventually found it with a strong current. When we fished it out it was still working perfectly fine. (well as well as it was before ^see above^) Although some might argue, that if it were any other phone, I wouldn't have been using it to snap pictures while in a kayak a few hundred meters out into the indian ocean where I capsized and dropped it becuase I was leaning too far to one side to get the shot.

So my vote would be for the mini ITX.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2015-02-03 at 11:25 PM.