Are RBG ratings deflated this season?

I only started RBGs last season so I don't have much history to use for comparison, but the competition seems much tougher at lower ratings right now. Last season I hit 2100 by mid-season just using OQ pugs, but this season I am struggling to get over 1800. I am not a fan of the new group finder as it lacks much of the information that OQ used to provide, making selecting PUGs a bit more risky, but now I am wondering if I was just lucky with groups last season and now I am sampling true ~1700-1800 ceiling groups.

yes, they are very deflated, on US at least.

it's fairly rare for teams to get above 2.2 team mmr.

Man... I only join pug RBGs and I got to 1500 last season, got to 1750 this season and I can't get any further because everyone wants a fuckin 2k achievement... and I'm a shadow priest.
    Last edited by BobAwesome; 2015-02-01 at 04:49 AM.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulvye View Post
    I only started RBGs last season so I don't have much history to use for comparison, but the competition seems much tougher at lower ratings right now. Last season I hit 2100 by mid-season just using OQ pugs, but this season I am struggling to get over 1800. I am not a fan of the new group finder as it lacks much of the information that OQ used to provide, making selecting PUGs a bit more risky, but now I am wondering if I was just lucky with groups last season and now I am sampling true ~1700-1800 ceiling groups.
    I'm in the exact same boat. I think it is partly to due with oQ being gone. I seem to have a real tough time getting into groups with similar rating. It could be my spec, but I think the main issue is my pvp resume was basically taken from me and now I am just some random potential baddie.

This is how it usually works. I either get an invite within the first 5 or so groups I queue for, or I get declined 2 dozen times. Then I get fed up and log off or desperate for my 3 wins and apply to groups 100 rating below me. In which case I either get declined anyways, or I get in and we end up losing due to half our team being completely incompetent.

Yeah, It'd be awesome for Blizz to improve group finder for the next patch.
    Last edited by Evelyn; 2015-02-01 at 05:08 AM.

I've been wondering if Ashran has been pulling the lower skill players out of arena and rated BGs, since one can get CP quite easily there. Ladder collapse?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

End of last season's super inflated ratings are probably still fresh on your mind. Ratings should get inflated the longer the season goes on, so if it is just rating you want you're better off waiting a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    What mr. Triforce said. Last Mop season lasted for a very long time, which led to more inflation.

The same is true for 3v3 arena. Just wait, I'll get easter to obtain rating if you're looking to obtain smth from a specific value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

Deleted
    Last season was the last of an expansion, and it was a very long season on top, its more that mop ratings were super inflated.
    Also now that rbgs give the same cap as arena i know a lot of top players just dont bother with rbg anymore, a lot of people just pug 3 quick wins per week, i hardly see any teams pushing for rating anymore.

RBG ranks should reset every season, and turn your highest rank achieved that season into a feat of strength. Arenas have the Challenger/Rival/Duelist/Glad achievements that do the same thing, but RBGs have no equivalent percent-based achieve other than Hero of the Alliance, so resetting ranks would be the easiest way to see how consistent a player is and what season they achieved a certain rank for easier comparison. It probably wouldn't solve everything, but it should help.

Well this is depressing. I've lost 8 straight RBGs against closely MMR matched teams, and they really weren't close matches. At least in my experience, the teams I am facing right now at 1700-1800 are better than the 2100 teams I played last season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    That's true and also the fact that you lose more than you gain. Currently winning 8-12 points but losing 15-22 points (mmr of opponents at 2.1k). Its extremely painful after a while. I have a 67% win ratio and I am -122 rating currently. We win more than we lose and we still lose.
    I think this is the big problem. You lose so much that unless it's a guild group with "repercussions" for doing so, people will leave the RBG rather than take the loss. I've seen that from both sides - if we are losing, 3-4 people will "disconnect". If the other side is losing, most of them go offline. The cost for a loss should not be 2x-3x higher than the reward for a win.

Can't be what Blizzard would like, to see people cheesing out of matches, but who knows if they'll have the courage to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    The problem you describe is very common when you are up to 1500s and this is why RBG feels so gated to people. At or below 1500 the player feels they got nothing to lose but time so if the team seems to fail even slightly they are very easy to disconnect.

One way to solve this personally is always get people in that are of higher CR than you. These are people with something to lose. If one guy is 2.2k he will stay and put up a big fight he won't just say "omg 0-1 in WSG im out". People must also realize that in RBG the patient team wins. You are cooking the win slowly you don't just zerg. So the people who join must be aware of the time commitment and the way things work.

As you get higher in rating you will meet more dedicated pvpers who can take an ugly loss and continue.
    So on point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrowithydro View Post
    So on point.
    Yes, an example was a 1600 group I played with last week. Got the team rolling, I knew I was high at 1800 for them but I am of the mind that rating does not matter so much this early in the season. Lost our first game terribly, no communication bad strategy. (gorge) No one quit though because the people were all chill. We proceeded to win the next 4 and they raised their MMR as a team to like 1725 or so. It was a good group that just had to take one on the chin to get started, if it had been a "YOLO" pug it would have disintegrated half way through the first game.