Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Which makes sense because there's no way I'm even going to a doctor in the first place if it's 200$ out of my pocket for a check up and more if they draw blood.
    the US is still miles behind on socializes healthcare

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    the US is still miles behind on socializes healthcare
    Well, sure, but medication costs are extremely high without insurance and now insurance is pretty cheap. I'm currently uninsured because I'm jobless so if I want a check up it would cost as I mentioned previously and if I want medicine, I'll need to go to the doctor first most likely which is about 30$ and then buy the medicine which for my condition is 500$ for a tube of toothpaste full of gel.

So at the very least when I have a job I can afford medicine without being setback one or two paychecks and I won't be dropped if I had a condition before hand.

So thanks, Obama and everyone paying taxes. My life is less shit because of all of you.
    Last edited by Conspicuous Cultist; 2015-02-01 at 07:02 PM.

Liberals see things in terms of the group, conservatives tend to see things in terms of the individual. This is a lot less biased answer.

Taxes? Take away from the individual and give to the group? Liberals are for it and conservatives against. Free health care for everyone? Again that's taxing the individual to give to the group.

Social freedom? Whole different animal. Both liberals and conservatives can be either pro social freedom or against social freedom.

Trying to apply labels to people is never easy and becomes a generalization at best.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Well, sure, but medication costs are extremely high without insurance and now insurance is pretty cheap. I'm currently uninsured because I'm jobless so if I want a check up it would cost as I mentioned previously and if I want medicine, I'll need to go to the doctor first most likely which is about 30$ and then buy for the medicine which for my condition is 500$ for a tube of toothpaste full of gel.

So at the very least when I have a job I can afford medicine without being setback one or two paychecks and I won't be dropped if I had a condition before hand.

So thanks, Obama and everyone paying taxes. My life is less shit because of all of you.
    Still ways to go until you can just go to the doctor, get a recipe and pay either 0 or 5 € for your medicine, regardless of employment status

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    Still ways to go until you can just go to the doctor, get a recipe and pay either 0 or 5 € for your medicine, regardless of employment status
    It'll probably be a while before that even gets considered so for now I'll take what I can get.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    I've noticed there is a bit of confusion on what this term means between these two groups.

democrats on social freedom:

1. gay marriage
    Why not?

2. freedom from discrimination
    In 2015 bigots are like fossils.

3. freedom FROM unnecessary violence and death for no real benefit to society
    Fixed that for you.

4. freedom to have an abortion
    Bodily autonomy has been a pretty big freedom for both sides. It's just that some religious nuts think a magical man in the sky hates dead babies when he's never said anything to that extent.

republicans on social freedom:

1. gun rights
    2. gun rights
    3. gun rights (needs to be said three times because that's how important it is to them)
    About 100x more death from guns per year than terrorism in the last 10 years. But clearly we need to worry about them terrorists.

4. freedom to express religion
    Liberals don't care if you express your religion. Just stop shoving it down our throats and into our schools and legislation.

5. privatize social security
    Bankrupting people's retirement is probably a bad idea.

6. freedom to seek cheaper health care abroad (medical tourism) (Obama opposes)
    I don't care about this, do what you want.

7. free to choose what school your children attend (vs democrats forced busing attempts)
    Plenty of viable reasons for school districting. If you want to send your kids to a private school you have the freedom to do so. I'm just not going to use my tax dollars to support your religious indoctrination schooling.

8. freedom to eat whatever we want without government forcing us into healthy options
    Obesity and childhood obesity were becoming serious problems. Freedom to kill yourself if you really want to sounds nice and all, until you realize that it was costing the nation billions per year to take care of these people effectively choosing to stuff their kids full of diabetes food. I thought conservatives were fiscal minded? Not so fiscally responsible to cost the taxpayers billions because you want to eat tater chips morning noon and night.

9. free to let your kids run around and play without helicopter parenting
    Helicopter parenting is bipartisan.

10. freedom to use imperial measurements (liberals would ban this if they could) (actually a recent issue in the UK)
    Either you don't know what "freedom" means or you're easily offended that the rest of the world and the scientific community uses metric. Learning metric to imperial conversions is pretty easy too, unless you're lazy.

11. generally the notion that freedom means being free to make bad decisions without government micromanaging your life and saying no at every turn a if you were a child.
    Even liberal policy doesn't seek to police what you do unless it negatively affects society in some way. It's conservatives who like to police things that don't hurt anyone. Morality laws like pot illegalization, gay marriage, etc. that don't harm anyone are all conservative brainchildren.

I realize that thinking about other people is kinda hard for you, but start trying to think about what affects other people. You wanna do something but those darn liberals are stopping you? Try to think about how your actions affect other people.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I get the feeling a lot of religious conservatives don't understand what freedom of religion means.

It doesn't mean "I get to shove my beliefs in everyone's face and persecute all other religions as I see fit." It means anyone gets to practice their religion in private.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Also I get the feeling a lot of religious conservatives don't understand what freedom of religion means.

It doesn't mean "I get to shove my beliefs in everyone's face and persecute all other religions as I see fit." It means anyone gets to practice their religion in private.

This is a stellar example of religious freedom in action in the world of the OP.

15+ Year Old Account

This is a stellar example of religious freedom in action in the world of the OP.
    I can see the youtube comments without even going to youtube.

ObummerLies1778:
    Omg why is this woman's freedom of religion being taken away?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Social safety nets
    Republicans, Freedom from government in your lives!
    Democrats, Freedom to not starve
    Civil rights:
    Republicans: Freedom to be an asshole to anyone you want
    Democrats, Freedom to not be refused service do to skin color or sexual orientation
    Regulation:
    Republicans: Freedom to pollute free from government
    Democrats: Freedom to not get asthma or birth defects from pollution

Republican freedom is based mainly off anarchy and lack of government, while democrat freedom is based off of government protecting things that may hurt you.

I've noticed there is a bit of confusion on what this term means between these two groups.

1. gay marriage
    3. freedom FROM guns

1. gun rights
    2. gun rights
    3. gun rights (needs to be said three times because that's how important it is to them)
    7. free to choose what school your children attend (vs democrats forced busing attempts)
    8. freedom to eat whatever we want without government forcing us into healthy options
    10. freedom to use imperial measurements (liberals would ban this if they could) (actually a recent issue in the UK)
    11. generally the notion that freedom means being free to make bad decisions without government micromanaging your life and saying no at every turn a if you were a child.
    Except that Democrats don't want to take your guns. A few outliers wouldn't mind having less guns on the streets but the majority of the party doesn't want to take your guns away. I have guns, I shoot guns, I hunt. I vote Democrat because I don't like the way Republicans basically shit on everyone but the 1%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.

1. gay marriage
    3. freedom FROM guns

1. gun rights
    2. gun rights
    Yes.

Although a few changes.

Democrats on social freedom:

1. gay marriage
    3. freedom FROM guns
    5. freedom to complain about it all
    6. freedom to offend traditional values without recourse

Republicans on social freedom for white Christians only:

1-3. gun rights for white Christians only.
    4. freedom to express religion for white Christians only.
    7. free to choose what school your children attend for white Christians only.
    11. freedom from any government control for white Christians only.

Democrats believe a mother has the right to kill her child before it is born. Republicans think that child as a right to live.

Democrats want everyone to have equal opportunity to make something of themselves.

Republicans are pretty happy with how things are, and want to keep it that way.

To bad we don't have an actual Liberal party, but w/e.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

[QUOTE=Packers01;32040690]
    Quote Originally Posted by jcheerno11 View Post
    Democrats believe a mother has the right to kill her child before it is born. Republicans think that child as a right to live.[/QU

Let me guess what party you are from with this gem
    http://www.constitutionparty.com/

Is my guess.
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Liberals see things in terms of the group, conservatives tend to see things in terms of the individual. This is a lot less biased answer.

Taxes? Take away from the individual and give to the group? Liberals are for it and conservatives against. Free health care for everyone? Again that's taxing the individual to give to the group.

Social freedom? Whole different animal. Both liberals and conservatives can be either pro social freedom or against social freedom.

Trying to apply labels to people is never easy and becomes a generalization at best.
    I wish that were true, that would at least be more consistency. Most conservatives I see on TV typically only seem to think individual and only so long as that individual is on top. Or pretty much they only see things from their own individual perspective and are oblivious to the perspectives of others and refuse to even attempt to see beyond that.

Liberals, most of the people I see called liberals now by the conservative fronts aren't even liberals so much as they are moderates. Most TRUE liberals seem to go just as far to the other end and lose the individual in the crowd.

To be honest, the whole Conservative vs Liberal debate to me kinda reminds me of watching an old crotchety man who has no clue how the real world functions anymore beyond his rose tinted version of the past that never was were he busted his ass and pulled himself up with no help from anyone leaning over a fence and arguing with a young idealistic man still too young to see the world at all beyond his own doorstep.

To most people, we would love to sit back and watch these 2 idiots yell at each other about who's fantasy of the world was more accurate except for the fact that these 2 short sighted individuals seem to sway government opinion to unhealthy extremes, particularly the old man who seems to vote every election.

[QUOTE=Packers01;32040690]
    Quote Originally Posted by jcheerno11 View Post
    Democrats believe a mother has the right to kill her child before it is born. Republicans think that child as a right to live.[/QU

Let me guess what party you are from with this gem
    It isn't hard with his backwards posting. Just look at his post history.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post

Ah so thats where all of the crazy people coalesce.

[QUOTE=Orbitus;32040732]
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post

It isn't hard with his backwards posting. Just look at his post history.

Excellent debating skills. Skip refuting my point and go right for the personal attacks. Bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    Ah so thats where all of the crazy people coalesce.
    Not all of them. But the hardlines who are into ancestor worship, yea pretty much.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

I think it's more the context of freedom that we all differ on opinion. I count myself as a Libertarian, so I basically get to cherry-pick my favorite things about both sides, because it's such a broad term, it's ultimately kind of meaningless.

I think a more pressing question would be this: Should people have the freedom to fail?

That's a much more symbolic question of the difference in parties. If you allow a person to fail, then they are ultimately accountable for their actions, even if the consequences are shitty (ie. being unable to pay for health insurance). If you allow government to intervene, then people ultimately have less control -- and opportunity to advance beyond their current economic status -- but are allotted more of a safety-net, by way of things like tax-breaks, national healthcare, and welfare.

There are a multitude of ways you can come at all of these problems, mind you, but I think that's probably the biggest distinction between the parties right now. It's no surprise, then, that most women are democrats, while the republican party is dominated by men. Not to bring gender into this, but our culture raises people differently based on their gender, which is why there's a discrepancy between the two parties, although in the grand scheme of things, it's probably irrelevant; just thought it worth mentioning.

In any case, as far as blanket social-issues go, I think it's just a matter of time before gay-marriage and marijuana are legalized across the entire country. Abortion, I'm less sure of. In all honesty, though, I think our national debt needs to be our ABSOLUTELY #1 PRIORITY, and much as it probably pains Democrats to hear, I think the Republican Party is making far greater strides in handling the debt crisis. And make no mistake, it IS a crisis.

I understand that those blanket-issues are important to those it affects -- and yeah, it's not really "freedom" if you can't get married just because of you and your love one's gender (even though I don't support marriage, as a legal practice) -- but I would rather people focus on the larger problems like debt, instead of letting their personal circumstances cloud their judgement.