10+ Year Old Account

Can blizzard justify people favouring mage and paladin in the arena?

A lot of streams I watch, and from my personal experience from last arena which was 8 wins. Mage, mage, mage, mage, paladin, mage, mage and paladin. I also lost against mage, paladin and a mage.

Aand I played a mage..

There has to be some balancing issues with the classes when in a random card pick scenario they just perform a lot better than other classes.
    Last edited by Deztru; 2015-02-01 at 09:38 PM.

Paladin and Mage basic sets are really strong and really easy to draft. But there ain't this big gap people are talking about. Almost all of the classes work well, Shaman a bit less so, but overall they are pretty even. It's mostly down to Drafting and playing the deck you get the right way and for some classes it's really hard to get the draft right.. They got so much variance in cards and what they do, that getting something that is unified and works together is way harder than Mage or Paladin.

But yes atm it's pretty much Mage=Paladin=Priest for the top spots with Priest contering Mage, Mage countering Paladin and Paladin countering Priest. Though the gap is nowhere near as big as it seems to be. People just say Paladin and Mage is strong(and they are), so everytime they see one.. they pick it. And that is why you see loads of Mage and Paladin.

10+ Year Old Account
    The mere popularity of those 3 "better classes" in the arena then makes the rest a quite steep downhill.

15+ Year Old Account
    The reason mages are so popular isn't due to the strength of the class cards themselves, but because the core kit of mages are BASIC cards and thus have a much, much higher chance to be drawn than other class cores.

Fbolt, FBall, FStrike, Poly, Water Ele - all basic.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Paladin is really strong right now, though maybe I think that because I'm still mostly playing my zoo lock.

I remember seeing like 10 back to back one night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Funny thing is, paladin and mage usually are only good in arena, in constructed they were garbage before GvG. I doubt they will do anything to basic cards like flamestrike.

The issue with both classes though is they rely on their class cards and if you don't get them you're gonna be 2-3 at best.

Some key cards for Paladin:
    Consecrate, Truesilver Champion and to a lesser extent Guardian of Ancient Kings.

Mage:
    Fireball, Frostbolt are the two major ones.

Essentially arena lacks large amount of board clears which these two classes have access too. Without GETTING those basic cards though you're essentially screwed.

Both classes have decent legendaries which are boosted in Arena but are still easily shut down. Essentially drafting both of these classes in arena is just like any other draft and based on luck; if you get good class cards though they can be unbeatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Solmyr13 View Post
    The issue with both classes though is they rely on their class cards and if you don't get them you're gonna be 2-3 at best.

Some key cards for Paladin:
    Consecrate, Truesilver Champion and to a lesser extent Guardian of Ancient Kings.

Mage:
    Fireball, Frostbolt are the two major ones.
    That's not really true. I've gone 12 wins with a deck that had no Consecrate, Truesilver or Guardian. In fact it had no Kings either.

Also when it comes to Mage, it is possible to get to 7+ without getting any Fireball or Frostbolt.. Is it harder? Certainly, but to say you will go 2-3 is redic.

Deleted
    I've been having reasonable success with Hunter and Rogue lately. Went 9 wins with hunter deck and 7 with rogue. Had Gallywix on rogue draft which turned out to be very good cancermage stopper. Yeah, go poly that and give me poly. Yeah, flamestrike my board and give me flamestrike too! It literally won me game by itself against a priest which mc'ed it and i immediately took it back while still hitting his face with my other minions Amazing arena legendary, 5/8 for 6 with excellent effect.

So many fucking mages in arena tho. On average I win about 7 games a run (just enough to keep going without losing gold balance / money) and at least half of the games are against mage. It got A BIT better since GvG because of much larger basic card pool, so being matched up vs 4x flamestrike + 3x poly nonsense isn't that plausible now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    The reason mages are so popular isn't due to the strength of the class cards themselves, but because the core kit of mages are BASIC cards and thus have a much, much higher chance to be drawn than other class cores.

Fbolt, FBall, FStrike, Poly, Water Ele - all basic.
    I believe that summarize it very well, if u check warlock arena guide card tiers http://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone...lins-vs-gnomes, none of tier 1 is warlock only cards, vs mage http://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone...lins-vs-gnomes, you have 3 of basic mage cards in tier 1
    Mage basic cards are very good in compare to most classes in game, arena is random, but basic cards show a lot in it
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Hunter is actually quite good in Arena but you have to play super aggressively with lower mana curve. It's kind of the opposite of the Trump value style Arena drafting that I think most people are accustomed to nowadays.