Just started FFXIV today...

So I just started FFXIV today before work. Loving it so far, the UI seems like can get a little cluttered in combat but im sure thats something ill be able to adapt to or customize later. Anyway Im only lvl 7 thaumaturge right now and like casters in any mmo the combat does seem a bit slow so far. Im wondering if theres any class that is good for a first time player, I played wow since 2007 and mained a rogue the whole time so i decided id try caster for this one. Any helps would be great thnx!

Any class is good since they're not hard to play, just play what you like/want to play.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Any class is good since they're not hard to play, just play what you like/want to play.
    Eh, of all the classes in the game, I feel that the monk requires the most finger olympics to play properly.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Deleted
    They may not be hard to play for any person who has played mmos before, but the difficulty discrepancy between jobs is actually quite drastic.

Having played BRD, DRG, WAR, SMN and SCH, the difference between playing BRD optimally and playing SMN properly was huge (not mentioning DRG as I clicked really well with it, rather biased).

So, if you want something fairly easy to play, BRD is extremely simple to play properly, but also a tiny bit boring :P

Deleted
    It wasn't a bad game in terms of game mechanics, but the dreadfull endless grind is sickening. It's one of the worst questing I've seen in years and I've played every p2p-b2p mmorpg in the last 15 years.

If the content was more focussed on other stuff instead of the endless quest chains then I might have kept playing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deylana View Post
    They may not be hard to play for any person who has played mmos before, but the difficulty discrepancy between jobs is actually quite drastic.

Having played BRD, DRG, WAR, SMN and SCH, the difference between playing BRD optimally and playing SMN properly was huge (not mentioning DRG as I clicked really well with it, rather biased).

So, if you want something fairly easy to play, BRD is extremely simple to play properly, but also a tiny bit boring :P
    The biggest thing is if you are a new player then your fucked since the game automatically assumes you know what to do to get your secondary class up to speed for higher level class/job thingies.

I think ROG is pretty good for new players. Very easy leveling rotation, has stealth, increased speed and reduced fall damage and its dps can be pretty high. Though it was added in a patch not launch so its probably got some more thought put into it in terms of being added in while theres already a stable world of players giving them data on stuff to influence the design.
    You pick it up at lvl. 10 in Limsa Lominsa, its worth looking into.

Like others have said, any class is fine to start, ultimately they don't really start to get complex until the later levels however, and by then if you're still playing, you'll probably be invested enough to wanna learn a bit more.

I will offer one tip: If you do commit to a class, look up the requirements for its job on a site like gamefaqs, by level 30 this matters! (Although I think you get in game hints to push you in the right direction? I'm not sure)
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deylana View Post

Best part is how Archger(which becomes bard oe BRD) is what he needs for Black Mage(AKA BLM()(the up[graded thuamaturge or THM) anyways.

Also consider he is a new player so likely doesn;t know the whole pld brd war thing,.

Quote Originally Posted by Acousticferret View Post
    So I just started FFXIV today before work. Loving it so far, the UI seems like can get a little cluttered in combat but im sure thats something ill be able to adapt to or customize later. Anyway Im only lvl 7 thaumaturge right now and like casters in any mmo the combat does seem a bit slow so far. Im wondering if theres any class that is good for a first time player, I played wow since 2007 and mained a rogue the whole time so i decided id try caster for this one. Any helps would be great thnx!
    My comments:

You can customize the UI to your liking. Place anything anywhere, resize it, etc.

My friend's main class is Black Mage (Thurmaturge becomes Black Mage later) and he personally feels like it's a bit boring until end game, then it's the most enjoyable rain of destruction ever. Another friend picked up Black Mage as his main DPS class after playing them all to 50 (you don't have to do that, btw)

As others have said, any class is fine for a first timer. The game's pretty good about giving you spells and teaching you how they interact to develop your rotations.

I'd recommend trying out the crafting. It's a whole progressive game to itself, but a lot of fun. Tailoring is good for casters, as you'd expect.

Barring that, my friend took this path and it's pretty brilliant: As you quest, never take armor rewards, always take the "allagan" piece (allagan tin, allagan bronze, etc). Those sell for gil to vendors, but stack high if you want to cash in in a big lump later. What my friend did was he scrounged up the money and bought his gear upgrades on the market board in high quality (they're noted as HQ). That made them last a good 5 levels longer than quest gear and he kept taking the allagan pieces for cash. With HQ gear, you sometimes find it's even better than dungeon drops, but not always.

Also of note, you will eventually be able to swap classes by talking to the respective guild and equipping that class weapon. So one character can access all class/jobs. However, you won't get new quests out in the world (other than a class specific one every 5 levels). So if you're doing a lot of FATEs or dungeon runs and leveling up quickly, feel free to leave some of the side quests in towns for later if you want. Alternatively, do them all and use FATEs and dungeons to level your later classes.

Others mentioned jobs, like I mentioned Black Mage. You will need 2 classes leveled to unlock a job. For example, level 30 Thurmaturge and level 15 Archer unlocks Black Mage.

30 Gladiator/15 Conjurer = Paladin
    30 Pugilist / 15 Archer = Monk
    30 Rogue / 15 Pugilist = Ninja

Etc, etc., etc.

Feel free to drop back by if you have more questions

exercuses me , i want to ask a question ,
    can i play this game on PC by emulator ?

Quote Originally Posted by hiepelines View Post
    exercuses me , i want to ask a question ,
    can i play this game on PC by emulator ?
    There is no playable PS3 emulator and I doubt there is any PS4 emulator.

However you don't need an emulator to play FFXIV. There is a PC version of this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just started this up 3 weeks ago and I am loving this game. This is the best MMO I have played next to WoW... ever I think. Working on leveling up a PLD first and then maybe some other jobs. This game is just so damn pretty coming from WoW's graphics.
    The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    There is no playable PS3 emulator and I doubt there is any PS4 emulator.

However you don't need an emulator to play FFXIV. There is a PC version of this game.
    thank you , i think emulator is too difficult to work ...

Any veteran MMO player should be able to fit right into the FFXIV gameplay with a bit of time and investment. The biggest problem with the game is indeed the UI not being as customizable as say WoW, but that's mostly due to a lack of addon support. They have to keep console and PC players equal somehow. I found that the UI was much more tolerable after I scaled everything to be smaller and not in the way of the action.

If you're playing on console though you might find it better to scale things up a little, but not a lot.

As far as classes go, I find it's pretty easy to learn most classes as long as you follow the predetermined combos. For stuff that fits outside of combos and cross-class stuff there are plenty of guides to help you with that. I've played MNK, NNJ and SMN to max level. Monk and Ninja are both somewhat similar as far as melee goes, except Monk is a slower and more calculated blows kinda class and Ninja is flip around press all the buttons and look cool kinda class. Summoner is similar to the WoW affliction warlock with more emphasis on pets and burst Multi-dotting. All are fun but I probably prefer Monk out of them all.

Deleted
    Combat is slow in FFXIV, you will get used to it. Every spell has a global CD that cannot be reduced. You may later get a spell that you can do when other stuff is on global CD, that may speed it up a bit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    Combat is slow in FFXIV, you will get used to it. Every spell has a global CD that cannot be reduced. You may later get a spell that you can do when other stuff is on global CD, that may speed it up a bit
    Skill and Spell speed does reduce global cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    It wasn't a bad game in terms of game mechanics, but the dreadfull endless grind is sickening. It's one of the worst questing I've seen in years and I've played every p2p-b2p mmorpg in the last 15 years.

Just have to do my civic duty and throw the flag down for a BS foul on this one. If you consider FFXIV a dreadful endless grind and a bad questing experience then you NEVER played FFXI which is well in your time frame of supposed experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Skill and Spell speed does reduce global cd.

I am sure it does (especially in this context).

For example, as BLM, take off all Spell Speed gear. Now, let's look at recast for Fire I, which is your standard spell. With base Spell Speed, your current recast should be 2.46sec.

Now, look at ALL your abilities include instant casts, all their recast will conveniently be 2.46sec. Meaning between any abilities, even the instant cast and abilities that is shorter than this time, you have a 2.46sec gap.

Now I put on all my Spell Speed gear, at 609, my Fire I recast is now 2.24, and so are ALL abilities that is less than 2.24sec cast time, including the instant cast (Scathe is one example, Blizzard II is another example, now cast at 1.79sec, recast 2.24sec). Meaning now in between abilities now (even the instant cast) there is now a 2.24sec gap between you can use any abilities.

GCD by definition is the time in between abilities (generally on instant cast), and in this case it clearly reduce that.
    Last edited by Grym; 2015-04-21 at 05:34 PM.