10+ Year Old Account

Monitor Acting Weird, pics included

So for at least 6 months now, my monitor has been doing some weird stuff. Most of the time it will just got to a solid black display for a second or so and then come back to normal, but sometimes it goes black then comes back to a picture with some pretty noticable vertical lines. I can restart my monitor my just turning it off then on again and it goes back to a normal picture. Please note that these pictures were not influenced by the camera I took them with, the lines are actually that noticable.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on here? I've had this monitor for a few years and it is out of warranty. I have it plugged into my MSI 660ti, and I have another monitor (1080p tv,) connected to my motherboard graphics, and it has no issues.
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

Did you try another graphics card? Also why don't you plug both monitors into the vid card?

10+ Year Old Account
    The usual try different port, check if it's secured, if the GPU is the issue etc etc.
    Granted if it fixes itself with a power cycle for the monitor, chances are it isn't the GPU.

Otherwise it be dying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Did you try another graphics card? Also why don't you plug both monitors into the vid card?
    I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the monitor. My GPU doesn't have a 2nd HDMI output, and I don't have another dedicated GPU.
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestler10307 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the monitor. My GPU doesn't have a 2nd HDMI output, and I don't have another dedicated GPU.
    Well then try a different monitor.

Connect a DVD Player to it and check. I had a monitor a while back that would turn off on its own sometimes, and would get fuzzy lines I decided to pop open the monitor and it had some swollen capacitors on it, swapped them out and it resolved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin3o4 View Post
    Connect a DVD Player to it and check. I had a monitor a while back that would turn off on its own sometimes, and would get fuzzy lines I decided to pop open the monitor and it had some swollen capacitors on it, swapped them out and it resolved it.
    This happened to me as well. Replaced a few capacitors and monitor works like new again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have tried another monitor, it is the monitor. I'll try connecting the monitor to something else to check, but it is so intermittent that it might not happen for several hours, but then might happen after ten minutes.

I'll open it up and see what I can tell from the board inside when I get a chance to.