Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Morality is an invention of humans. So is uplifting technology. Which invention trumps the other is merely a value claim.
    You have an excellent point. Some transhumanists and futurists see uplifting as something we're morally obligated to do, others believe It's morally wrong, others have reasonable disagreements with the idea and many are just paranoid with the concept of coexistence with other advancd beings be it aliens, apes and dolphins or AI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uplifting animals? That depends on what would happen with the uplifting. Same with humans, what would happen. IF it means getting rid of genetic disorders and such. Yes please.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Uplifting animals? That depends on what would happen with the uplifting. Same with humans, what would happen. IF it means getting rid of genetic disorders and such. Yes please.
    Well uplifting for humans could work a as sort of eugenics for the 21st century and beyond. Engineering children with prevention of viruses such as HIV/AIDS and things such as cancer.

For nonhumans it would include engineering for more the growth of larger mental capacities, the modification of genes to produce a human-like larynx, increasing lifespan and riding diseases such as Ebola, SIV/HIV from great apes and possibly cetaceans.

Guys? This is a thread necro'ed from way back in February this year. Let it rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I would genuinely be surprised if there were not experiments being conducted in relative secret to do exactly this.
    Exactly.

My general feeling concerning anything scientific in nature is this: If we can imagine it, then someone, somewhere, is putting effort towards making it happen.

I cured the Genophage.

Uplift as many species as you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    Exactly.

My general feeling concerning anything scientific in nature is this: If we can imagine it, then someone, somewhere, is putting effort towards making it happen.
    Yeah I could see that in all likelihood. We could potentially get uplifting on mammals done in this century if not right now. We've located a lot of the major genes for human intelligence and brain expansion as well as a gene dedicated to the development of linguistic capabilities.

And CRISPR...