Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    No. The abilities in this game are far too similar to each other and the imbalanced gameplay is just way too bad.

Not only that, but WoW really isn't a fast paced game. PvP is all about a certain sequence of abilities used consistently. You can't do certain fancy shit because using certain abilities at a certain moment is actually bad for you (look at CC). I guess you could consider that part of the skill requirement to play competitively but WoW is in no way hardcore when compared to MOBAs.

The gameplay of WoW PvP is simply too slow.

Arena Tournaments just aren't exciting at all. There is just too much going on for it to be enjoyable. I can enjoy watching someone's stream because I'm watching the game from their perspective and hear them make calls to have a better view of the game. But as an E-sport with the cameras always changing and the casters commentating it's just different.

Mobas are far easier to follow even if you haven't even played the game. You see the colors of each team and the objectives their taking down. Also WoW pvp requires too many macros thus making it a steep jump from PvE.

It's simply too imbalanced to be a good competitive game, that's really all there is to it, and it's not very entertaining to watch either. There's a skill gap between good and bad players of course, but it doesn't really compare to things like shooters and strategy games.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan View Post
    yeah CS:GO and the aiming...it's really, really, really hard to master...but it's the only thing to master.
    You have absolutely no idea what you talking about
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

too hardcore? LOL looks to be one of the few mmos with some actual good pvp

I still remember people saying that WoW PvP shouldn't be considered an E-sport. I've always wondered where that notion came from...WoW PvP is like the essence of E-sport. You have 60+ keybinds (all of which have to be used very, VERY quickly) all across your keyboard. You need an insane level of awareness, insane level of reaction speed, learn to come up with new tactics in milliseconds and communicate as well as execute these with your partners. It has everything E-sport is about.
    WoW pvp can't succeed as an e-sport because it is not balanced.

It's too imbalanced to ever be taken seriously. Not to mention how much latency affects it(in terms of being in range or not, or determining if you're in front of or behind somebody)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

7+ Year Old Account
    There was an old adage about WoW that it's the only game that has more buttons than you can reasonable use and still have no skill. It's not really true but it does have a point, that WoW's combat isn't inherently skillful and offers little to no value for a spectator sport. There are no flashy plays in WoW arena that are visible to the viewers, hell you can't even clearly see what's killing you.

I read maybe the first paragraph but I can definitely answer your question in the fallowing way: Cataclysm release, druid bleeds (Just the bleeds) would do more damage then healers could heal. Mop launch warriors could one shot players, literally, and blizzard defended them. Right now, a hunter can use maybe 3 binds and be successful, trap, arcane shot, explosive shot (one of the two attacks could have racials ect macro'd into for bonus damage). There are hunters at 2700 rating that have proven BM all CDs spam damage is enough to win games.

This game may look complex, but it isn't nearly as complex as you think. The main complexity comes from positioning and communication, the classes them self are pretty easy, more so in WoD then any other xpac. Combine that with huge imbalance and volla, wow is so far from an esport it's silly, this is easily why many wow players found themselves playing LoL competitively instead, or hell these days, hearthstone.

Deleted
    A moba like league/dota2 takes like 1 month of intense learning/training to master high rating.
    3v3 arena at high lvl takes at least 6 months.

WoW 3v3 was the competitive scene that pushed me the hardest to higher skill-lvl's. But then again so did other types of game-genres.
    Fps for precision, patience and reaction.
    Rts for strategising combo movements and awareness of high # of things.

Wow just combines these and puts some frosting on top of it.

And yes I've been succesfull in all genres in competition. (Top 10-100)

I'd say high end pvp at high level has a high skill and I think it's mostly because the game is 10 years old. Most of people who play at high ratings are long time veterans who played the game for a very long time, even if they didn't pvp for all the years they played. I remember when I started to play arena on competitive level (it was in wrath) you could get to 2000 rating without using macros, focus or tracking DRs. Nowadays those (and other things that are connected to being skilled, those are just examples) are things you can expect at any level of pvp, I've played against many teams on 1500 MMR who would do all those things and more.

So I'd say WoW PvP isn't too hardcore, but the playerbase is too old and experienced to allow new players to play on high level for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronux View Post
    A moba like league/dota2 takes like 1 month of intense learning/training to master high rating.
    3v3 arena at high lvl takes at least 6 months. (Top 10-100)
    I don't think I agree, unless you can prove me otherwise. I don't think 6 months is enough, do you know any player who played the game (not only pvp, but WoW all together) for 6 months and got to high end pvp (Let's say at least 2200 rating in 3s)?

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Quote Originally Posted by nightstalkerr View Post
    lol... WoW pvp and hardcore in the same sentence... Can it even get any easier than this and people still call this my little pony difficulty hardcore? What kind of parallel universe is dis!

Since cata I played most classes at max level pvp and not once it took me more than a day to learn how to pvp with it. Now in WoD everything is so dumbed down my freaking cat could hit 2k.
    QFTW...lols.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    I love pvp in WoW, i'm proud of the achievements and titles i have obtained and it took a lot of dedication but as its already been said wow pvp is way too unbalanced and Pretty obvious it never will be.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

Quote Originally Posted by Shapeduz View Post
    maybe someone said it allrdy but i guess wow is not an e-sport because for ppl who are not into wow pvp its hard to understand whats goin on and there for its not entertaining enough for the masses to watch cos it just looks messy... And ofc the balance problems which blizzard are either ignoring or just too stupid to fix.
    I agree with both the imbalance point and the "hard to watch if not a player" point, and I always said that WoW (and MMOs in general) would never make a good tournament game because of it. However, it does make me wonder how games like LoL and DotA are so successful. Aside from not having to deal with crap like invincible healers, I fail to see how that can be any more balanced, since the champions are essentially classes. And as a non player, while the objective is easy enough to follow (since there is only one map and mode; how people never get bored with that is beyond me) I still have no idea what champions do what, or what the commentators are talking about with abilities and character names, or even team roles. But for whatever reason, MOBAs are insanely successful tournament games. Just due to sheer popularity I guess, so maybe all WoW needs is a better spectator UI...

Quote Originally Posted by Syh View Post
    There are more things than that, such as properly moving, grenade spots (smokes can get pretty intricate), assisting your team with grenades (pop flashing for a teammate does takes practice, timed flash/moltov with a teammate, assisting with smokes, etc), working as a team in general (communication, coordination, so many fail at this in WoW and CSGO both), proper crosshair placement/prefiring, and extensive knowledge of every map you'll play in a competitive setting are all things that take practice.

Don't get me wrong, there are more things to learn for WoW PvP. I just personally find those things easier to learn but perhaps it's because I've been playing for a while now..

Either way, both take a lot of time and practice to exceed at. They're hard to compare since they're two very different games.
    The hardest part is prediciting what your enemy is going to do and countering that, individual and as a team.

Deleted
    I'm sorry considering WoW as "hardcore pvp" or esport is not serious. MMO's have a gameplay that is generally not fit for good pvp nor good balance. WoW is unbalanced since 2005 and its pvp was always a gimmick compared to its PVE counterpart. Having macros and multiple spells to cast does not equal good gameplay or interesting gameplay especially since the casual design this game is increasingly taking.

It doesn't matter whether you like the game or not, fans should stop pretending things just because they enjoy a game. Keep a critical mind.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing you are the same types of guys who believe that Hearthstone is hardcore competition in card games right?

:sight:

Deleted
    it is insanely complex yes

but it's also unbalanced and really hard to keep track of (too much shit going on, compare it to LoL)

Deleted
    Its also not interesting to see some geeks playing arenas licking pillars 90% of the match. It's a pretty ridiculous sight when you are not the one playing the arena.

Overall WoW pvp is pretty ridiculous, its no surprise people have complained so much about this since ages. Ugly interface for the public to watch, too much RNG, reaction time still a joke compared to fps/combat games, no management of dodge/aim/parry, its all done by the gear. Blah its really boring

10+ Year Old Account
    Totally agree with you, 3v3 is the hardest shit ever. You have to use 30 40 skills, be aware of 5 cds/skills of every of your partners and know a posible 100000000 things the other team can do to you (or your mates).

2700 in 3v3 = god, agree.

It's the opposite. If WoW pvp was not so intense, it would fall flat on popularity. It's the same as Mythic PvE. Hardcore gamers dedication is driving casual players to run for high end objectives, ask for advice, and commit a bit deeper into the game in general. (while casual gamers do bring some relaxed, enjoyable behaviour to the table. We all need each others, lol).