Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I don't know, he might have people he knows and stops and talks to along the way, that would be nice. Must be the kind of job where he either doesn't need to shower, construction maybe, or there's a shower there. A lot of businesses in Silicon Valley have showers for staff.

Good for his health.

He could easily kick a mugger to death.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure why you'd donate for this. You can buy a secondhand cheapo bike and bike lock for like $50, and I'd be willing to bet the guy in question enjoys the walk, since I can't think of another reason you'd choose to do this instead of buying a bike.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to walk three miles to my job, work for 8-12 hours (on my feet all day barring breaks) and then walk three miles home :P pretty hardcore to! (Even in the rain!)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I'm not sure why you'd donate for this. You can buy a secondhand cheapo bike and bike lock for like $50, and I'd be willing to bet the guy in question enjoys the walk, since I can't think of another reason you'd choose to do this instead of buying a bike.
    Pretty sure a bike lock doesen't prevent that much in areas of high bike stealing.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I don't know, he might have people he knows and stops and talks to along the way, that would be nice. Must be the kind of job where he either doesn't need to shower, construction maybe, or there's a shower there. A lot of businesses in Silicon Valley have showers for staff.

Good for his health.

He could easily kick a mugger to death.
    Yeah my office has a shower. If Houston were actually bikeable, I'd bike into work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I used to walk three miles to my job, work for 8-12 hours (on my feet all day barring breaks) and then walk three miles home :P pretty hardcore to! (Even in the rain!)

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure a bike lock doesen't prevent that much in areas of high bike stealing.
    Get your boss to let you store it inside.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    He walks 6 minutes down to the bus, rides on that for 14 miles and then walks 7 miles to his job.
    If you read the article you would know that "Because buses don't cover the full distance between James Robertson's home in Detroit and his job in Rochester Hills, he walks about eight miles headed to work and about 13 miles home, five days a week. "

My wife works with this guy that bikes 120 km a day to/from work every day, weather permitting. He makes good money and has a car, he just loves to bike.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post
    My wife works with this guy that bikes 120 km a day to/from work every day, weather permitting. He makes good money and has a car, he just loves to bike.
    How long does that trip take him? I am willing to bet he is single or his other half likes alone time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    There are no feral dogs in Detroit. Robocop kills them immediately whenever he finds any.
    Clearly this thread needs to be turned into OCP vs the people.

Quote Originally Posted by micgre8162 View Post
    Yeah, I figured that he might enjoy it after almost 30 years, which is why I thought a bicycle would be better than a car. You know that guy is gonna outlive us all, right? Walking 14 miles a day, 5 days a week, he has to be in pretty decent shape. With a proper bicycle, he might be able to ride the entire 21 mile commute in about the same time as he spends now, or be able to get more free time. Plus, with a cart, he can get groceries easier. I've been doing that for a while now.
    Except the positive effects of exercise bumps into diminishing returns pretty early, walking instead of sitting still might be good though but we don't know what he works with
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Not as hardcore as farming mounts in WOW xDD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Not as hardcore as farming mounts in WOW xDD
    Rubbish, in vanilla you had to WALK the entire zone to get to your raid, all the time hoping you do not get ganked by the other faction making their way to the same raid.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Rubbish, in vanilla you had to WALK the entire zone to get to your raid, all the time hoping you do not get ganked by the other faction making their way to the same raid.
    So pretty much like Detroit?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    So pretty much like Detroit?
    In Soviet America Detroit raids you!

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Fuck that, seriously. I'm not against walking long distances or anything, but think of all the time lost just for your job. You ALREADY lose enough time to your job, guy! Maybe if you're reading the whole time or something I can see it not being as big of a deal, but... it just seems like a bit of a waste. Commuting (in general) is a waste of time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Fuck that, seriously. I'm not against walking long distances or anything, but think of all the time lost just for your job. You ALREADY lose enough time to your job, guy! Maybe if you're reading the whole time or something I can see it not being as big of a deal, but... it just seems like a bit of a waste. Commuting (in general) is a waste of time.
    Maybe walking is his hobby, I know people that like to jog for fun but it bores the tits out off me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Better than raiding, Alliance going to the Monastery to get to kill the horseman..
    Omg, that was hilarious on a horde heavy realm. the room outside the entrance paved with the bones of the alliance. Good ol days before LFD. lol
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

How long does that trip take him? I am willing to bet he is single or his other half likes alone time.
    The average speed of a bike is 15.5 km/h. This would put the round trip just under 8 hours. If he work an 8 hour shift that would leave him with exactly 8 hours to shower/sleep/eat/ ect...

Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    The average speed of a bike is 15.5 km/h. This would put the round trip just under 8 hours. If he work an 8 hour shift that would leave him with exactly 8 hours to shower/sleep/eat/ ect...
    What does he do in the winter? It gets so cold in the D.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    Someone needs to study that mans genes because he is training training like a Tour de France competitor as well as working a full time job, that or he is full of shit.

Someone needs to study that mans genes because he is training training like a Tour de France competitor as well as working a full time job, that or he is full of shit.
    He looked kind of chubby to me. You would think he would have 0 body fat.

Maybe it's just his clothes.