Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    lol, some people do, judging by the rage in bgs. though i have to admit, sometimes i get so caught up in a bg, i'm tempted to rage, too, so it might just be the heat of the moment. I try to remind myself that it's just a game though and try to stay positive, even if the bg is a lose.

I rage all the time in BGs. For example if my team only has one healer, and he decides to afk for a good 10 seconds at start and then slowly make his way to the closest point to spawn and just stand there watching his healerless team get slaughtered mid, I will let him know exactly what I think of his map awareness and decision making ability. I'll probably also end up teaching him that you are not defending anything when there are no enemies around.

Do I take the game too seriously? people would probably think yes, but really no. It really takes no effort to type down some good stuff, why would that make me take the game more seriously than someone who will say nothing but ragequit?

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    "It's just a game" is a piss poor excuse bads use to be bad. If you are bad and know you're bad yet continue to play team based games without cooperating with others and improving then YOU are the problem. Not the players frustrated that YOU wasted their time. God forbid someone tries to take their hobby semi seriously, this bend over and accept losing attitude from many gamers is emberassing.
    What if that person is playing at their best? What if they have some handicap and have improved as much as they can? Not saying everyone is like this and il agree most people are bads but people get pissed when they aren't at their skill level. No one cares if a random is improving, because chances are next game they wont be there. They just see it as one of two things, youre good or you are bad. Obviously the game would be better if everyone was the same skill level but its not gonna happen. Some people will be alt tabbing, some people will be drunk or high, some people just don't care. These are their choices. No matter how much you want, you cant force people to play how you want. You can however sidestep this issue by queueing as a group.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I rage all the time in BGs. For example if my team only has one healer, and he decides to afk for a good 10 seconds at start and then slowly make his way to the closest point to spawn and just stand there watching his healerless team get slaughtered mid, I will let him know exactly what I think of his map awareness and decision making ability. I'll probably also end up teaching him that you are not defending anything when there are no enemies around.

Do I take the game too seriously? people would probably think yes, but really no. It really takes no effort to type down some good stuff, why would that make me take the game more seriously than someone who will say nothing but ragequit?
    Being constructive is good. But some people will continuously harass others with no other intent than to make them feel bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes yes, they definitely do.

Almost 6 years ago now I had a similar rage problem with WoW when I did battlegrounds and got killed.
    I punched a door and put a hole in it, did the same with a wooden chair on the seat, breaking it in half. And I got so mad during one BG I punched the top of my PC tower causing it to instantly turn off, denting the case in the process. Poor thing refused to boot for just over a month....

Never got violent with another person though.

It is quite funny really, I look at the rage videos on youtube and think they are stupid for acting that way, yet I did the same for a while. Now I just shrug things off like they never happened. Don't know what made me change but I am glad I did. Not sure the furniture in my house would have survived ^^

Since that incident I might swear if I die or lose a match, but I have caused no more furniture deaths

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    What if that person is playing at their best? What if they have some handicap and have improved as much as they can? Not saying everyone is like this and il agree most people are bads but people get pissed when they aren't at their skill level. No one cares if a random is improving, because chances are next game they wont be there. They just see it as one of two things, youre good or you are bad. Obviously the game would be better if everyone was the same skill level but its not gonna happen. Some people will be alt tabbing, some people will be drunk or high, some people just don't care. These are their choices. No matter how much you want, you cant force people to play how you want. You can however sidestep this issue by queueing as a group.

- - - Updated - - -
    Grouping typically requires scheduled play, and have to make sure your whole group is on at same time. Majority of the time that just isn't going to happen.

You have two choices...and only two choices.

A. Either stop sucking, or quit playing team based games.

B. Accept that people are going to rage at you for wasting their time.

Grouping typically requires scheduled play, and have to make sure your whole group is on at same time. Majority of the time that just isn't going to happen.

You have two choices...and only two choices.

A. Either stop sucking, or quit playing team based games.

B. Accept that people are going to rage at you for wasting their time.
    I could turn it around and say you have two choices... and only two choices.

A. Either find people that can play on your schedule, or quit playing team based games.

B. Accept that people aren't going to play at your skill level.

Its a video game. You are not getting money if you win. The game moderators are not kicking people out cause they suck. So it looks like they have every right to play how they want. Once again, ive been known to get frustrated too, but all the frustration in the world does not give you the authority to dictate how other people play.

Deleted
    Some people do, yes. And this thread shows us that, too.

Yes, people take games and many other things far too seriously.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Yes, if you have a competitive bone in your body, you will take games seriously.
    You know what I say to people who come at me with the "it's just a game"?

GG WP
    Get Good Why Play

Mostly because they're baddies

10+ Year Old Account
    I could turn it around and say you have two choices... and only two choices.

A. Either find people that can play on your schedule, or quit playing team based games.

B. Accept that people aren't going to play at your skill level.

Its a video game. You are not getting money if you win. The game moderators are not kicking people out cause they suck. So it looks like they have every right to play how they want. Once again, ive been known to get frustrated too, but all the frustration in the world does not give you the authority to dictate how other people play.
    Well I think the point in hazing them is to get them to hae such a bad experience that they leave. Neither of the two will ever go away, both sides just have to accept each other. I don't have an issue with bad players, I have an issue with bad players who are too stubborn to listen to a little advice and do not cooperate as a team. In my experiences It's typically the bad ones who treat these games as if they are single player games, if you're bad AND uncooperative and just run around doing as you please then you deserve all the rage thrown your way. Being bad can be excused...be bad and refusing to play the game as it is intended can not.

Both sides are loaded with toxic players, welcome to gaming.

Well I think the point in hazing them is to get them to hae such a bad experience that they leave. Neither of the two will ever go away, both sides just have to accept each other. I don't have an issue with bad players, I have an issue with bad players who are too stubborn to listen to a little advice and do not cooperate as a team. In my experiences It's typically the bad ones who treat these games as if they are single player games, if you're bad AND uncooperative and just run around doing as you please then you deserve all the rage thrown your way. Being bad can be excused...be bad and refusing to play the game as it is intended can not.

Both sides are loaded with toxic players, welcome to gaming.
    You don't see that as taking the game too serious? You are harassing a person, making them feel bad, so that they leave your precious game. And yea, if someone is unwilling to learn and just wants to do what they want, obviously they are gonna get hate. Doesn't mean you aren't taking the game too seriously though. And too often its not just people unwilling to learn, its the people who are new to the game or just plain old suck, that get harassed. They are trying to learn or maybe don't grasp a certain concept, and they are being harassed.

Deleted
    If people play to lose, why would you play a game?

You don't see that as taking the game too serious? You are harassing a person, making them feel bad, so that they leave your precious game.
    Maybe they shouldn't be put together with people who are serious about the game and have a casual bracket for themselves. Just an idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't see that as taking the game too serious? You are harassing a person, making them feel bad, so that they leave your precious game. And yea, if someone is unwilling to learn and just wants to do what they want, obviously they are gonna get hate. Doesn't mean you aren't taking the game too seriously though. And too often its not just people unwilling to learn, its the people who are new to the game or just plain old suck, that get harassed. They are trying to learn or maybe don't grasp a certain concept, and they are being harassed.
    It's the internet, and your dealing with gamers. Most of these people do not know how to properly interact with you know....other humans. Sure harassing the living shit out of a player is wrong but there's nothing wrong with taking a competitive game serious. It's how serious you take losing and dealing with players below you.

I wouldn't want to be new to gaming on ANY platform these days, every community is full of toxicity. Just gotta face it, many gamers are absolute shitty people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyari View Post
    If people play to lose, why would you play a game?

Maybe they shouldn't be put together with people who are serious about the game and have a casual bracket for themselves. Just an idea.
    People play to have fun and to try to win. When you lose you should be disappointed, not harassed or blaming other players. When you win it should feel good, not deemed mandatory or youre worthless and should quit.

Most games have that. Take rated battle grounds and random battle grounds for instance. When you are playing rated, yea you can be as competitive as you want. The problem is these players also play randoms and don't understand why people aren't as tryhard as them and then harass them.

It's the internet, and your dealing with gamers. Most of these people do not know how to properly interact with you know....other humans. Sure harassing the living shit out of a player is wrong but there's nothing wrong with taking a competitive game serious. It's how serious you take losing and dealing with players below you.

I wouldn't want to be new to gaming on ANY platform these days, every community is full of toxicity. Just gotta face it, many gamers are absolute shitty people.
    Nothing wrong at all about taking a competitive game serious. The problem, and the point of this thread, was taking a game TOO serious. In which case, I consider harassing people about a video game to be too serious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    People take games serious because they want to win.

You want to win games, not just participate in em.
    This, also achieving something in a game like finishing it, beating a boss or just completing the whole thing takes concentration en dedication. Some people who don't take it seriously mostly ruin it for others in the multiplayer aspect of games. It's ok to not take a game (too) seriously, just don't ruin the fun for others who do like a challenge. People who die of playing a game too much have serious (mental) issues where the game was merely a means to an end, not the cause.

Deleted
    People play to have fun and to try to win.
    Winning is fun, losing is not. If you don't play to win, don't play with me and don't whine if I give you shit for ruining the match or instance or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that's part of the fun of games though, taking them extremely seriously, but know there aren't any real consequences behind not winning/completing it.

It's really all about whether you view it as a game to purely have fun and chill [A], or whether you see it as a form of competition and you not only want to have fun but also win or achieve your goals [B].

Both sides exist, both sides have their place, and the only real problem is when person A joins person B in slightly tougher content. Person A will probably not perform as well as needed and then claim "ah it's just a game, whatever", while person B will certainly get mad about this because he tried so hard to win while A didn't care.

Also, computer games that have a competitive element in them (which WoW has quite a few of, e.g. mythic raiding, world first raiding, rated PvP, tournaments, challenge modes leaderboards, even the softer competitive elements like "oh I have 20k achievement points, do you?") are not "just games", they're more than that. It starts out as a game for everyone while everyone is doing the easy content to familiarize themselves with the game and have fun, and after that there's the split between A and B where A mostly sticks to what's easy and fun while B mostly tries to do stuff that's hard, both to have fun *and* to have a challenge. A tends to avoid challenge because to him it's just for chilling, not for doing hard work. Which is a valid viewpoint as well, but some things will be out of reach then.

And when there are tournaments with all kinds of rewards, is it still really "just a game"? No, it's a sport in this case as well. Like soccer. Soccer might be a game for you when you play it shortly, but it's a competitive sport for people playing in a sports club or - of course - in all sorts of tournaments or championships.

A game that has no competitive elements is "just a game", for example a single player RPG, but even there people of category B sometimes make up their own competitions (for example, by doing speedruns, playing with handicaps, or playing with mods that make everything harder).

Of course there sometimes are overlaps and gradients, for example B also sometimes plays casually, or A can sometimes exceed his own abilities and maybe succeed at stuff he doesn't normally try, but overall there is this kind of split in attitude between casual and competitive, and group A should generally stick with group A and B with B to avoid drama.
    Last edited by TaurenNinja; 2015-02-03 at 03:43 PM.

Games aren't different from sports and other such activities. So no.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyari View Post
    Winning is fun, losing is not. If you don't play to win, don't play with me and don't whine if I give you shit for ruining the match or instance or whatever.
    "try to win." Like I said, you should play to win. And most people do. The problem is when they don't win, they harass other people. If winning is the absolute only priority of the game, then why are you risking it by queuing up with randoms? That's my point. If you are gonna bitch and give people shit because your team lost, why not join a team that doesn't lose?

"don't play with me" The point is that these people don't choose to play with you, they are randomly put with you.