Thread: Cities XXL

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cities XXL

Anyone else looking forward to this after the massive flop that was SimCity? I can't say I've saw this hyped up as much as I thought, but still, looks awesome. I sunk a lot of time into Cities-XL, so can't wait for Thursday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW7wuz7A_N8

Existing owners receive 50% off, new players get 20% off. (@Steam, not sure if worldwide or EU only)

Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey // Intel i5 4690k // MSI z97 Gaming 3 // Corsair h100i Cooler // Corsair CX750M PSU // EVGA GTX 770 // 8gb (2x4) Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz // WD Black 1tb // Samsung Pro Evo 120gb SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Waiting cautiously with this one, Cities XL had plenty of its own flaws as a game.

I got a giggle out of the name hehe.

^^it sure did, I never enjoyed it as much as sim city.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently the problems have been solved, time will tell on this one. I got into Cities XL pretty late in it's life (early last year iirc), so I didn't really see any of the bugs, after a quick read however I see why people will be cautious with this.

Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey // Intel i5 4690k // MSI z97 Gaming 3 // Corsair h100i Cooler // Corsair CX750M PSU // EVGA GTX 770 // 8gb (2x4) Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz // WD Black 1tb // Samsung Pro Evo 120gb SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Farra View Post
    Apparently the problems have been solved, time will tell on this one. I got into Cities XL pretty late in it's life (early last year iirc), so I didn't really see any of the bugs, after a quick read however I see why people will be cautious with this.
    For me it wasn't so much flaws as in bugs, it was just that sim city just has a much more pleasing model to tinker with. Cities XL was always more this more that whereas sim city was a lot more like optimisation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm. Deciding between Cities XXL and Cities Skylines atm. : p

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/cities-skylines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    For me it wasn't so much flaws as in bugs, it was just that sim city just has a much more pleasing model to tinker with. Cities XL was always more this more that whereas sim city was a lot more like optimisation.
    I had a ton of fun playing Simcity in sandbox, more designing a city, than creating it. Anything other than that became a pain in the ass due to the bad traffic etc. Been said a million times, but bigger cities to play with would have been awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Enjeh View Post

I like the look of this, only discovered it a few days ago. Any eta of a release date?

10+ Year Old Account
    Q1–Q2 2015 is what the devs have said I think.
    Last edited by Enjeh; 2015-02-03 at 12:28 PM.

Trailer looks great. But game play is much more important. Was that released yet?

Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansTrolley View Post
    Trailer looks great. But game play is much more important. Was that released yet?
    5th of feb for xxl, Q1-TBA for skylines(which looks amazing )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Enjeh View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Farra View Post
    Depends if apparently is good enough for you. I risked 50% off preorder. You'll see me either rage or be happy here.

I have good feeling about Cities Skylines but it worries me since they only did traffic games and no city builders, but at least traffic will be handled in a great way right?
    There is one thing that i hate about CS: small buildings, farm is size of your backyard garden and i bet mining operations and stuff like that will be small plot, so yeah, won't add to realism feeling much.
    Last edited by mmoc1f5e8fd9f1; 2015-02-03 at 01:44 PM.

Wow I had no idea this was a thing! I loved the Cities XL game.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Wow I had no idea this was a thing! I loved the Cities XL game.
    Yeah, it's not been advertised much, if at all from what I've seen,only saw the teaser trailer in December. If I hadn't saw it on Steam this morning I wouldn't have known it was coming out on Thursday.

Deleted
    I'm really liking the fact that the 50% off for previous owners is not limited to a pre-order. I'm going to wait for some reviews though been as long as it doesn't completely tank then I will be picking it up. 50% off on day one is nice.

I'm glad to hear the 50% isn't preorder only. I had just written off the 50% savings because no way I'm going to preorder.

I've been looking in to this and I can't tell if it's just a major feature patch/engine update or what. If it is, it's going to need to change a lot. Cities XL was a great game but it's aged quite a lot. A lot of the systems could use a pretty big overhaul.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    I'm glad to hear the 50% isn't preorder only. I had just written off the 50% savings because no way I'm going to preorder.

I've been looking in to this and I can't tell if it's just a major feature patch/engine update or what. If it is, it's going to need to change a lot. Cities XL was a great game but it's aged quite a lot. A lot of the systems could use a pretty big overhaul.

From what I can make out, it's a complete overhaul of the engine, hence the multicore support. I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will point it out, but I read that the reason that multicore support wasn't patched into Cities XL was due to the way the code was written or something similar. I'm just going by what I've read online regarding the matter and hopefully someone with more knowledge about this sort of thing can shed some light on it.

Deleted
    One day left till rage or preorder satisfaction. I kinda have bad feeling about it though. Not much marketing was done not even one dev. diary, maybe they thought adding buildings and making new engine wasn't interresting enough. But i guess 19EUR won't be missed much if it was a flop.

In the end Cities Skylines in latest dev blog looks even more awesome.

The videos all just show cities without any gameplay action going on -- isn't this XXL merely this year's release of XL, except they decided to slightly change the name?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    The videos all just show cities without any gameplay action going on -- isn't this XXL merely this year's release of XL, except they decided to slightly change the name?
    That's what it looks like to me as well. I honestly don't understand how people can trust them with preorders at this point but each to their own I guess.

Skylines looks more promising if it truly ends up basically like SC4 with Sim City 2013-like graphics.