10+ Year Old Account

Looking for a trackball mouse

I've been considering a trackball mouse for when I'm gaming on my couch as it's rather uncomfortable playing with a mouse on my couch so I was looking at the potential of trackball mouses. Preferably one that I can hold in my hand in any position.

I stumbled upon this "mouse" as well as this one.

I'm not planning on doing any competitive gameplay with it. Primarily casual singleplayer games. I was wondering if anybody has experience with these types of mice. They seem easy to use besides the trackball part.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    I've been considering a trackball mouse for when I'm gaming on my couch as it's rather uncomfortable playing with a mouse on my couch so I was looking at the potential of trackball mouses. Preferably one that I can hold in my hand in any position.

I stumbled upon this "mouse" as well as this one.

I'm not planning on doing any competitive gameplay with it. Primarily casual singleplayer games. I was wondering if anybody has experience with these types of mice. They seem easy to use besides the trackball part.
    I have been using the Logitech M570 wireless trackman for 10plus years (used the wired version before, forgot the name, but shape was the same), and I have nothing bad to say about it. It does take some time to get used to, but I found that moving the ball with your thumb was much better than with your middle fingers or others -and I tried them all for extended periods of time

10+ Year Old Account
    How accurate/loose is the trackball of your mouse? Apparently it's possible for the trackball to be somewhat loose, ending up with less accurate pointing? If so, that'd be a downside. Also, how heavy is that mouse?

The ball on my trackball is a tight fit, and has never been loose, and frankly, I have never heard that they could be, so I would imagine that would only happen to crap brands. Its perfectly accurate, and I would say even more so than a normal mouse as you learn to control it perfectly with the thumb.

it weighs 130 grams, or 4,6 ounces

EDIT: You DO need to clean it once in a while, or the ball will be a little "hard" to move, but its easy to just take the ball out and clean the gunk out of it. It tracks on 3 tiny "ball bearings" and on an optical sensor under the ball, and you will get a little dirt in there from time to time - but you will feel when its time to clean it
    Last edited by Lilbruz; 2015-02-03 at 10:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm okay. Would you say it's difficult to use if I were to for example hold the trackball mouse sideway for when I'm in an 'awkward' position? The second link I provided is a handheld trackball mouse but in the reviews it said the trackball was a bit loose, thus worse precision but it seems like it fits nicely in the hand for when I'm trying to play on the couch as I dislike playing with a controller due to joystick.

Currently I only use mine when im away from the PC, so I use it in all kinds of positions, and as long as you learn to "steer" the ball accordingly to the way you hold it, you should be fine. I wouldnt count on any headshots if you use it sideways and have to move the ball to the side to move the mouse up though

I have used a similar handheld device, and while its nice for say presentations, it gets really tiresome to hold it "free hand" for extended periods of time

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, thanks for the help. I'm considering buying a regular trackball mouse then instead of the handheld one specifically.

Glad I could help. Let me know how you like it when you get it

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    Alright, thanks for the help. I'm considering buying a regular trackball mouse then instead of the handheld one specifically.
    If that is the case, i cannot possibly recommend this one enough:

http://www.kensington.com/us/us/4493...E#.VNKgwWRViLQ

The large ball makes for incredibly precise control, and the ring around the ball (acts like a scroll wheel) is incredibly intuitive. The four buttons can be programmed for whatever you like, and you can "chord" them (both bottom, both top, both left, both right, top left/bottom right, top right/bottom left) and have different functions assigned to those chords.

Its durable as all get out - ive had mine for over 10 years, and still have its predecessor (The TurboMouse) - i only quit using it because it was Apple Desktop Bus!

Yes, its pricy (100$), but its worth every penny.

They made a wireless version for a while, but i dont think they produce it any longer, but you may be able to find it used on eBay or similar.

I cant imagine using any thing else anymore.