What would be the best performance upgrade for me?

Currently running a GTX 770 with a stock i5-2500 Sandy Bridge with 8gbs of memory over 3 27" 1440p Qnix monitors and a 50" TV. Was thinking about getting a 980 today as I've read that the 970s would cause problems with my setup at 1440. Was curious if you guys think the 980 would be a decent upgrade for the future or if I should just get a new cpu and mb? In addition to a 980 I could get a new cpu cooler and overclock the 2500 a bit as I've read they're pretty awesome at that. Plan on playing quite a few titles in the next few months and while my computer runs most games i've thrown at it thus far id love to get even higher rates and a cleaner experience while watching tv and whatnot on the other monitors! What do you guys think the most cost effecting upgrade would be performance wise? Thanks!

Deleted
    I wouldn't upgrade just yet; let's see how Skylake-s and Skylake-K turn out in the latter half of 2015, and the new Radeons in the next few months. If your i5 is the k-series, then I'd suggest a cooler and overclocking.

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    I wouldn't upgrade just yet; let's see how Skylake-s and Skylake-K turn out in the latter half of 2015, and the new Radeons in the next few months. If your i5 is the k-series, then I'd suggest a cooler and overclocking.
    Think i'll pick up a nicer cooler and go this route for the time being and weigh my options after, thanks for the suggestion!