10+ Year Old Account

Amazing Vanilla/BC Raiding Experiences/Stories

Gents,

I always love looking at these threads alike that really hit someone in the "feels."

So I ask you for those that have GOOD stories to tell. I want to hear about some of the older players amazing raiding experiences. This can range from how insane it was to kill boss X, something funny, experiences that you hold dear to you, and anything similar in that department. I LOVE to hear them.

One that really comes to me was when I was doing Teron Gorefiend as progression. We were on him for closing in on what was about a month. Our officers made us master the minigame that was made for him because it was so difficult at that point in time. We all had to master it, and late at night (like around midnight my time) we were pushing him further than we ever did before. Prior was like sub 20%. We would always get there with half the raid dead, but we were there clean this time around. Every 5% downed from 30% someone would keep rattling off what boss percentage teron was at. At around 10% we all at once said "STFU" in unison as we kept going. We then killed him, and I woke my entire house up from the screaming that erupted in vent as well as my own. I didn't even care. It was amazing. Archimonde was similar because the fire would always kill a group (normally us decursers at the time).

I look forward to hearing what y'all have to say!

Gnome out.

I was in a pretty hardcore progression guild back in TBC. Our guild had been wiping on Kael'Thas for about 6 weeks and the guild attitude was starting to get dire (If you got to this boss early in the expansion... it was on a new level of difficulty from anything previously experienced). Guilds had been in BT and Hyjal for a couple weeks and we were having a few people jump ship up the progression ladder. I clearly remember finally reaching phase 5, and I think when he threw everyone up in the air was one of those "magical" moments I rarely experience. There was this intense elation since as long as we kept it together, it's pretty much a kill from this point.

I'm quite sure if we hadn't killed the boss that week, our guild would have fallen apart. I had already found a new home and was planning on transferring before Tue. Thank God I didn't because the friends I made along the way to Kil'Jaeden in Sunwell I'm still really close with and play with today.

Wasn't too happy to come here and read that Gorefiend story. That boss is the start of a very bad slippery slope that eventually killed WoW for me, mini games and vehicle fights.

..anyway, raiding has never really been about the xpac. Every expansion has had good and bad raids although I must admit that Kara was probably my all time favorite.

Deleted
    a long time ago, this one time, mid-tbc, raiding night, first attempt, Illidan killed with like 90% pvp gear, due to us being a pvp guild a that time. Maybe not really amazing but it was pretty fun right there and then.

Not so much raiding as it is just an awesome story.

In Vanilla I was a Arms warrior and I was leveling in Arathi Highlands somewhere in the late 30, maybe early 40s. I was alone killing those damned trolls in the bottom corner of the map when a tauren shaman came up on me and he was 1 level higher.

We stared each other down and started the fight, it went on and on, Neither one able to kill the other for what seemed like ages, unsure how actually long it took, but eventually he won and I died. (Nerf frost shock).

Fast forward next day in school and one of my classmates is talking about how he had this awesome fight against a warrior in Arathi. I immediately made the connection because the characters name was almost identical to his real life last name. Small world.

We became friends for a bit after that, but eventually went separate ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our paladin healer accidentally DI'd the tank right on a boss pull. The tank didn't realise what happened, and he's yelling WHY IS KOR DEAD WHY CAN'T I MOVE WHAT IS GOING ON and all the DPS were panicking as the boss burned through them since tank was paralysed. It was a huge clusterfuck of hysteria for about ten seconds before we realised what had happened. Of course, the paladin couldn't tell us because he was laughing too hard to speak. We still seriously laugh about that.

Same paladin set his desk on fire at one point. I don't remember when, but it woulda been in BC. He just said, "afk small fire" in the middle of the fight. Turns out he was smoking at his desk and caught some napkins on fire which caught the desk on fire. DONT WORRY HE WAS OKAY.

Our DPS warrior got mind controlled on Hakkar and killed most of the raid before MC finally broke or got broken (I don't remember anymore how the mechanic worked). Meanwhile, my character would build campfires (WHY IS THAT EVEN IN THE MC ABILITY TABLE?!). It was funny at the time.

This one is kinda meanspirited, but it is worth mentioning: In BC, one of our DPS got himself in some hotwater for complaining about the poor performance of a player he didn't realise was his girlfriend (obviously he knew she played the character, but not that the role he was criticising was handled by her), and there was a nuclear meltdown mid-raid with screaming and caps lock and TS crying and ignore lists and profuse appologising. If /popcorn existed for anything, it was that. At the time it was horribly awkward and painful to witness -- for me anyway; I couldn't stop cringing -- but in hindsight it was pretty hilarious.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2015-02-03 at 08:19 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

In BC, during Sunwell Progression, the guild I was in at the time had a hunter who was a very good player but couldn't make our raid times. Everyone called him Strooder, but I don't remember what his actual character's name was anymore. He was good friends with lots of folks as I recall. No-one seemed to take it very seriously that he would frequently offer himself up for invites to raids that were already happening, or complain that he couldn't get in for the last couple pulls of a night. This went on for months through Black Temple and Sunwell, with everyone joking about it, and him continuing to ask. He ran tons of ZA with us, and that kinda made up for it, but everyone knew he really wished he could get into our raids, even if it was just for a little bit.

After a night of wiping on Brutallus 35+ times, Strooder logged in just as we were about to call the raid and be done for the night. The raid leader told Strooder that he had a spot open for a few tries on Brutallus, and asked him if he could come in for it. He of course immediately jumped on it, and was super hyped on voice chat. The raid leader asked everyone to stay in raid for a bit longer, and not to say anything about us being done on voice chat. We were actually done, but he wanted to have some fun before we left.

I don't remember if I or someone else thought of what happened next, but we decided this was how we would prank Strooder:

I was playing a Warlock. I inched my way up to Brutallus, aggroed him and we all died. We then all ran back in, and I stood just in front of the skeleton where I had died the last time - right at the edge of Brutallus's aggro range. I summoned poor Strooder, who wanted to raid so badly, into Sunwell. Upon zoning in from the summon, he appeared within Brutallus's aggro range and died pretty much immediately while we all ran through mage portals in the back of the room. If I remember right, he had no idea what had just happened, and had no idea why he had just died, and was super confused. The entire raid was cracking up. It was probably the funnest thing I did in Sunwell. It didn't end too badly for him. I think he did eventually get into some raids, and we did run ZA with him that night again.
    Last edited by SSJones; 2015-02-03 at 09:56 PM.