Eve-Online: starting up again?

I played Eve about 5-6 years ago for almost 2 years and had a lot of fun with it. I ran missions, I ratted in 00, I mined, I played markets trading, I spent some time PVPing in big alliances. I mostly enjoyed doing things on my own, missions or ratting or mining, having fun chatting with people I knew ingame while I built up wealth and skillpoints and watching my characters go to town.

But that was the problem. CharacterS. I felt like the things I enjoyed doing almost required me to play multiple accounts or else I didn't have enough fun to justify playing at all. If I ran a mission, I couldn't loot and/or salvage without running 2 (or 3) accounts. If I wanted to mine, I had to expose myself to losing my hauls if I wasn't using at least 2 accounts. If I wanted to trade, I had to spend stretches of hours that I might want to actually play just flying across the galaxy with a cargo unless I had more than 1 account.

So I quit, since I didn't want to pay for multiple accounts (whether it was in isk or usd) but I didn't have enough fun doing things if I wasn't doing that.

It's been a long time, and the game appears to have changed A LOT. I am unaware of how the game and the things you can do in it have changed. If I try to come back to Eve, will I run into the same issues I had before?

Nowadays my schedule is even more sporadic than before, so I have 30 minutes free here or an hour free there on and off through all times of the day that I can sit down and play... so relying on a corp/nation to help me have fun in the game isn't something I want to do. I LIKE having buddies to play with, but I need to be able to play on my own time too.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, is it true they removed the original songs from the game like Nouvelle Rouvenor Hero and Below the Asteroids and stuff? Cause if that's true, then forget it, I won't play again. Lol
    Last edited by Einzweidrei; 2015-02-03 at 07:55 PM.

You do not need more than one account to play the game optimally. One of the main reasons why CCP implemented a skill based system in the first place was so that players had no néed for alts of any kind; if you wanted to do mining, you just start training mining. No alt needed.

The problem here is time, and you need a lot of uninterrupted periods of time to play EVE. In WoW, if you gotta go, you just ALT-F4 and go. In EVE, if you did that with a flag on you and you ALT-F4ed out, you'd log back in later to find your ship boomed. It's not "casual friendly" in the sense that you can just play for 30 minutes at all time, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    You do not need more than one account to play the game optimally. One of the main reasons why CCP implemented a skill based system in the first place was so that players had no néed for alts of any kind; if you wanted to do mining, you just start training mining. No alt needed.

The problem here is time, and you need a lot of uninterrupted periods of time to play EVE. In WoW, if you gotta go, you just ALT-F4 and go. In EVE, if you did that with a flag on you and you ALT-F4ed out, you'd log back in later to find your ship boomed. It's not "casual friendly" in the sense that you can just play for 30 minutes at all time, etc.
    Yeh unless you want to do mining or fly a capital ship. Mining ussually requires between 2-3 if not more. Capital ships are useless without cynos. A great deal in this game is tailored to having or needing alts. As a jf logistics pilot i have to have 7 cyno toons just to get from our nullsec home to jita.

Yeah I was gonna say, mining really does need at least 1 alt unless you have lots of corpmates that don't mind babysitting you all day while they rat in-system. Ideally 3 as Zeta said, because you want a ratter and a hauler as you sit there in your Hulk.