Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    I would tend to disagree, we have more personal cooldowns and escape mechanics than we used to, which make personal mistakes more forgiving, however mechanics that cause instadeath or huge spread of ground effects will continue to be extremely challenging for raid groups as a whole.
    You're not taking into account that raids have changed with these changes as well.

The issue with Defile was how it lined up with the Valks in P2. Specifically, the second Defile, and then like every other Defile after that. Defile = spread out and run. Valks = stack up. On the problem Defiles that lined up with Valks, it was random which one came first, so people had to be kind of stacked up but kind of spread out and then immediately either spread or group depending on which one happened, and then do the opposite.

It's not like it was impossible, but it was a good deal harder to execute correctly than most raid mechanics, then or now.

This is not a defile mechanics. Defile spread infinitely with people inside, this does not spread infinitely, and will spread regardless of players inside of it... Thread over T.T
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia
    Has anything pushed you to the edge of quitting WoW?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreall
    Long Distance relationships and Justin Bieber

Deleted
    we're doomed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did have 'that guys' in my raid back then .....

Let's just say that killing the boss on ICC 25 normal was challange back then ....
    On offnights we did heroic 10man ICC without the 'that guys'.

Some guilds actually enjoy playing this game with people they like, even if that means bringing 'that'guy'

TL;DR: Defile scares the living shit out of me ;p
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    The issue with Defile was how it lined up with the Valks in P2. Specifically, the second Defile, and then like every other Defile after that. Defile = spread out and run. Valks = stack up. On the problem Defiles that lined up with Valks, it was random which one came first, so people had to be kind of stacked up but kind of spread out and then immediately either spread or group depending on which one happened, and then do the opposite.

It's not like it was impossible, but it was a good deal harder to execute correctly than most raid mechanics, then or now.
    Entirely this. Maybe it was easy on 10 man mode, but on 25 man mode the 2nd wave of Valkyrs would be timed at "around" the same time as a defile; so you had the entire raid on tenterhooks waiting for either the Valkyr call, and having to get lined up so all 3 valkyrs were dragging your raiders off in the same direction so you could kill them in time, or spreading ASAP because if more than 1 person was in the initial pool of defile that was guaranteed to make it grow by one "tick". AND YOU NEVER KNEW WHICH WAS GOING TO HAPPEN FIRST (guaranteed if you tried to jump the gun it would punish you) Often that going from 8yard radius to 10 yard radius would mean another raider was caught in it and the whole thing snowballs.

That one moment in the LK25 fight. Bleurgh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    And you will once you out-gear it, it is nerfed, or you queue up for LFR as a guild. However don't blame "that guy" when its "that guild" who allows him to operate the way he does
    100% Agree.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    I would tend to disagree, we have more personal cooldowns and escape mechanics than we used to, which make personal mistakes more forgiving, however mechanics that cause instadeath or huge spread of ground effects will continue to be extremely challenging for raid groups as a whole.
    It's also standard for raiders of today to have boss mods telling us when we're stood in bad and where is a safer place to stand. I found it amusing when, during the anniversary, all those people who think that the game was very simple in the first years couldn't handle those same mechanics when MC was brought out for level 100 with exactly the same mechanics. Even with a far greater range of utility and survival mechanics today, as well as a host of addons, it was carnage in there.

It was lfr though. Trust me when I say that half the people in lfr don't use dbm/bigwigs or (in more extreme cases) don't even know what those are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    It was lfr though. Trust me when I say that half the people in lfr don't use dbm/bigwigs or (in more extreme cases) don't even know what those are.
    The serious raiders didn't have them then either. I was just pointing out that it wasn't the tank and spank people assumed it must have been when soloing it all many years later. People forget that fights are a clash of the challenges you face against the tools you have with which to face them. The tools we have now are far greater than in the early days, even if some have been pruned since MoP.

Deleted
    during Tbc there was a patch after which Boss mods did not work on voidreaver, surprisingly no one managed to kill that a simple of a Boss for a week.

Blizzard made it even easier with Standard ui:
    there is a warning Sound whenever a Player indidually has something to look out for.
    if its a targeted ranged ability the Boss will turn that way before he attacks.
    so many ways to avoid almost all damage just by Hearing and looking at the Boss. i feel many People are more distracted by mods than they would be without.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevecow View Post
    Raiders of today are better then raiders of the past. Not saying people wont die but the defile mechanic isn't hard compared to mechanics we have seen from Cata and onward.
    I'd agree with this. During Wrath there was a prevailing wisdom that a damage dealers worth was measured on Recount and very rarely were there mechanics on bosses to ever challenge that. The game has changed since and priorities with it, no longer are strong damage dealers excused making critical mistakes. I was really surprised how well pugs in general seemed to deal with mines on mar'gok.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevecow View Post
    Raiders of today are better then raiders of the past. Not saying people wont die but the defile mechanic isn't hard compared to mechanics we have seen from Cata and onward.
    Raiders of today have more tools to hold their hands, but better than raiders of the past? Nah.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    I took my first big break from WoW before ICC released... What is so special about or rather what is the defile mechanic?
    people stood in it and it grew time and time again. You also had another more fun mechanic, it also dropped a sort of patch if people were still standing in it would knockback everyone near in the air and most likely of the platform.

It was fun to the point that some people managed to fail at it 50 wipes later.

Defile was the demise of most guilds back in ICC. Just ONE person taking too long to get out of it meant a wipe. And it had a very mean timing with Valkyrs, so if your raid was too spread to minimize the growth effect of Delife, you ran the risk of not being able to kill the Valkyr in time. To this day, it is one of the most punishing mechanics of all time.

However, this particular new Defile mechanic seems Mythic only, and maybe there is no bad timing with other key mechanic to the fight, so people will most likely be ok. Just but an ENORMOUS weak aura, and you are fine.

Lingering shadows is a mythic only ability. If your guild is capable of getting to Mythic Iron Maidens while it is current content I am sure they are capable of handling defile. If you want to kill the boss later when it is old content, then the fight should be shortened enough from overgearing that you can kill it after a few attempts just hoping the debuff goes on the right people.