Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    We didn't have too much trouble with this on heroic, here is the strat we decided on for our video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERVxge6_tPU

Quote Originally Posted by ingsve View Post
    On a thread like this it would probably be useful if people post the ilvl of their raid or tanks. I've seen some people give advice and they're baseing it on going in with mythic level tanks and that's not really helpful to someone doing it with ilvl 665 tanks.
    Wasn't particularly stressful on anybody; when we sorted out the strat he died on the next attempt. Average item level of the raid was 668.

Deleted
    I only PuG and seeing as this is a tank fight I need help getting into groups, I've done 10/10 normal and 4/10 hc but players keep saying I'm doing this all wrong.

Now I've looked a few times on how to do it but there isn't a definitive correct way.

I've tanked gruul and move him into Group A once, then Group B, tank switch then, that's wrong. Then I had it that I drag inferno slice into Group A twice and then switch, that's wrong.

Then I decided that the MT keep Gruul, while the OT taunts on inferno slice (the one without blows debuff) into Group A, Group B, Group A, then MT's Gruul, got denied a group invite because that was wrong also..

So can someone help me here as I'm gated from entering what is one of the simplest bosses in there.

I don't tank, but my group wiped on this for a couple hours before we downed it. The tanks switched from taking 2 stacks to 3 and using various cooldowns on 3rd and we immediately killed it. Hand of Sac glyph for paladin is the hotness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Romulen View Post
    I only PuG and seeing as this is a tank fight I need help getting into groups, I've done 10/10 normal and 4/10 hc but players keep saying I'm doing this all wrong.

Now I've looked a few times on how to do it but there isn't a definitive correct way.

I've tanked gruul and move him into Group A once, then Group B, tank switch then, that's wrong. Then I had it that I drag inferno slice into Group A twice and then switch, that's wrong.

Then I decided that the MT keep Gruul, while the OT taunts on inferno slice (the one without blows debuff) into Group A, Group B, Group A, then MT's Gruul, got denied a group invite because that was wrong also..

So can someone help me here as I'm gated from entering what is one of the simplest bosses in there.
    Pure logic dictates that having group A and B take turns in tanking the inferno slice is the optimal solution, people saying it's wrong are misunderstanding the mechanic of it. If you should tankswitch after 2 or 3 inferno slices is up to the tanks though I guess, but there is no question that A -> B -> A -> B is the correct pattern since it leads to less total damage to the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by tobberoth View Post
    Pure logic dictates that having group A and B take turns in tanking the inferno slice is the optimal solution, people saying it's wrong are misunderstanding the mechanic of it. If you should tankswitch after 2 or 3 inferno slices is up to the tanks though I guess, but there is no question that A -> B -> A -> B is the correct pattern since it leads to less total damage to the raid.
    this is how my group did it, switched after 3 inferno slices and managed to oneshot the boss. 668-ish average item level, so maybe just a tad bit overgeared the encounter.

Having solved the problems that prompted me to originally post this:

There's no reason to take 3 inferno slices. It doesn't optimize the fight in any way.
    There's no reason to slice a group twice.
    There's no reason to ever spin or swing the boss for slice.

Tanks A/B. Groups 1/2.The optimal execution strategy as you can see in now 100s of parses is:

Tank A starts in MT position. Tank B starts in Group 1.
    Tank B taunts Inferno Slice into Group 1, Tank A re-taunts.
    Tank B moves to Group 2.
    Tank B taunts Inferno Slice into Group 2, then moves to MT position while Tank A moves to Group 1.
    Tank A taunts Inferno Slice into Group 1, Tank B re-taunts.
    Tank A moves to Group 2.
    Tank A taunts Inferno Slice into Group 2, then moves to MT position while Tank B moves to Group 1.

etc., etc. Repeat this pattern twice before rampage and then after and the boss is dead.

As far as I can tell you cannot beat this strategy and there's no reason to do the boss another way.

No one mentioning the lack of gear and horrible dps?

2 minute attempt, the highest dps is 29k
    1 minute attempt highest is a single mage at 46k dps and a 2 at 37k and the rest around 30k

This is with heroism at the start.

How?

I think the reason people do it with tanks taking 3 slices is so that there is theoretically time to drop the overwhelming blows debuff which I'd imagine would be necessary for mythic.

Quote Originally Posted by Schinto View Post
    No one mentioning the lack of gear and horrible dps?
    No one is mentioning it I think because it has nothing to do with why we wiped, but I appreciate you taking the time to point it out.

The damage is a bit intense on H Gruul, especially compared to it's normal counterpart where you can stand in everything and barely take damage. They key really is ensuring your raiders avoid as much avoidable damage as possible because IS hurts as I'm sure you know by now. If your raiders are doing their job avoiding things, the healers are not doing theirs if you are wiping that quickly.

To be honest, Hanz and Franz and Beastmaster are both a little easier than Gruul on heroic, so you could look into those first (though Beast is a longass fight and you're most likely to wipe in the burn phase at the end).

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    The damage is a bit intense on H Gruul, especially compared to it's normal counterpart where you can stand in everything and barely take damage. They key really is ensuring your raiders avoid as much avoidable damage as possible because IS hurts as I'm sure you know by now. If your raiders are doing their job avoiding things, the healers are not doing theirs if you are wiping that quickly.

To be honest, Hanz and Franz and Beastmaster are both a little easier than Gruul on heroic, so you could look into those first (though Beast is a longass fight and you're most likely to wipe in the burn phase at the end).
    Yeah, we tried Darmac after Gruul. Got got him to 15% or so. After what I learned this week I'll think we will get both on Heroic soon; thanks for your input.