Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Is it slightly worrying

Is it slightly worrying how quickly some peoples moral compass changes when acts of terrorism / war / conflict is involved? You'll see somebody condemn genocide until something like a brutal atrocity occurs then they're suddenly supporting genocidal actions against them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Is it slightly worrying how quickly some peoples moral compass changes when acts of terrorism / war / conflict is involved? You'll see somebody condemn genocide until something like a brutal atrocity occurs then they're suddenly supporting genocidal actions against them.
    Yes which is why people in the US and Britain completely supported an invasion into Afghanistan and Iraq when there was literally no such thing as Al Qaeda, we made it up to charge Osama Bin Laden for RICO.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Its hard to say. It's a standard part of humanity since forever. They end up having a lot more in common with the terrorists than they realize.

Terrorist leaders commit terrorist acts because they can count on these sort of knee-jerk reactions that polarize people. The polarization gives them support, because all humans react with knee-jerk desire for vengeance when violence is committed against things they care about.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only troubling part is when people don't separate their actions from those of the state. Take for example the classic "you're in a room with a terrorist whom you KNOW has information about an atomic bomb set to go off in the US, do you torture him to get the information that would save lives?" trope. My answer to that has always been "yes, and then I would demand to be punished by the state for my unconstitutional actions".
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    you dont need terrorism for this, just the slightest misdeed towards an animal, and the majority of people seem to think of torture as a good thing

I was in basic training at Ft Leonardwood, MO on 9/11 when the towers fell. We were the training company that had the most seniority on post and they told us that there was a chance we would get deployed from training as infantry. That day was so crazy. One of the people in my platoon had an aunt that worked at the world trade center.

Deleted
    Fighting back against ISIS would not be genocide.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Is ISIS currently seiging a city you are in? You might want to take other steps besides posting on a chat forum.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Is ISIS currently seiging a city you are in? You might want to take other steps besides posting on a chat forum.
    ISIS isn't an ethnicity, or I guess a genotype, so by definition even if you wiped out all ISIS members, it could never be genocide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I've always believed that the ends justify the means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    ellaborate/exmaples? Your topics always seem to come so... out of nowhere.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

"I started a War; I'm just not doing the fighting." - Abraham Lincoln

War is terrible. What is worse? Letting it happen.

Every, single, person is to blame. Until we have no reason to fight.. which will be never. Conflict happens, and the victors write the history. So don't lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

mix misinformation, ignorance and primitive mind, this is what you get.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    No, but people saying NUKE EM or CARPET BOMB SYRIA is somewhat genocidal

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbasta View Post
    ellaborate/exmaples? Your topics always seem to come so... out of nowhere.
    it's quite clear. read more posts in mmo-c genOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    ISIS isn't an ethnicity, or I guess a genotype, so by definition even if you wiped out all ISIS members, it could never be genocide.
    Nobody is saying it would be genocide. Why do you bring this up?

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Nobody is saying it would be genocide. Why do you bring this up?
    Because it's the thread topic, and your reply was off-topic, so I brought it back on-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Nuking ISIS would kill more civilian than ISIS. Deliberately doing it is genocide.

Yes it is somewhat worrisome. I find it more worrisome that some people are already at that frame of mind.

The Golden Rule is lost in today's world by so many people and replaced with a you slap me, I'll shoot you mentality.

Something does need to be done about these terrorist because no actions is also a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Congrats Blizz. Everyone who wanted a Vanilla realm will get it with WoD. So much for never moving backward. Though, it will not be a pure vanilla server since you can still fly in the old content, and you don't have to farm things just to raid. Just wanted to congratulate Blizz for giving the folks what they wanted, a classic vanilla world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Or, maybe instead of making a strawman, they could just get a lvl 1 pony after they complete a quest in the starting zone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    If your moral/ethical outlook changes based on events, then one of two things is true;

1> You didn't actually describe your real ethical outlook, beforehand; a lot of people think they're more moralistic than they actually are.
    2> You're an Ethical Egoist or something, where the fundamental ethical principle is "if it's good for me, it's Right".

The entire point of ethical systems is precisely that they are not meant to change like that.

And before anyone brings up relativists; they'd make allowances for context at the outset, so changes in that context necessarily would affect their ethical stance. Saying "war is wrong" is a concrete, no-context statement; if you think become pro-THIS-war because your country was attacked, then you never really believed what you'd said. If you'd instead been saying "THAT war is wrong", based on context, it wouldn't be a shift in your outlook to say "THIS war is right" if that context is different in a critical way.