Thread: Doing trash dps

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Doing trash dps

Is it possible for some characters to be bugged server-wise?

I'm asking because my dps on a 660 ilevel hunter is trash tier. Like 22k on Butcher, last night I did 21,5k on mythic twins. I have read all the guides, Icy Veins, Azortharion, etc , have followed the right rotations and am geared according to the guides yet my dps is 8k lower than it should be and I have no fucking clue why.

On the raid dummy I do like 18k and in hc dungeons up to 27k.

I am the end of my wit and I have not signed up for the BRF raid yet as I don't want to get told to improve my dps when there doesn't seem to be anything that can be done to improve it. I'm not an idiot, I used to be in another guild's progression group back in MoP and was always in the top 3 on the meter. This expansion seems like I got hit with the Dumb Hammer or something as I can't figure out what I'm doing so god damn wrong that I'm dropping by 8k, it must be something systemic, as failing to follow the rotation is not such a huge drop nor is not having bis gear such a big deal.

This is my armory http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Vexise/simple

Without logs, we can't really help you. Also, post in the FIX MY DPS thread that's stickied.

Deleted
    Your trinkets are not great and you have the 655 ilvl bow. That's basically it
    I've got the 670 bow and Mythic Captive Micro-Abberation trinket (and Grandiose Plans unfortunately..) and I manage to do 24-25k dps as MM lone wolf (on Butcher/Kargath).
    This is my char if you're curious: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ornax/advanced
    Try to get Scales of Doom from Butcher and Brack HC wep as it is the biggest DPS increase, you can bonus roll multiple times and if gold isn't a problem get a lucky double sided coin and you will see the difference.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NiXaN View Post
    I've got the 670 bow and Mythic Captive Micro-Abberation trinket (and Grandiose Plans unfortunately..) and I manage to do 24-25k dps as MM lone wolf (on Butcher/Kargath).
    This is my char if you're curious: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ornax/advanced
    Try to get Scales of Doom from Butcher and Brack HC wep as it is the biggest DPS increase, you can bonus roll multiple times and if gold isn't a problem get a lucky double sided coin and you will see the difference.
    Yeah, I just replaced my bow with the pvp bow which is like 5 ilevels higher and got a 2k increase on the dummy.

See, this is the problem. People hear you have high item level and start assuming your dps should be through the roof BUT the matter of the fact is that if you don't also have a weapon that is up to par with the rest of your gear, your dps is really not going to be the one people expect.

The RL told me to whisper the other hunter in the raid for tips. I never bothered to as I really doubt what he had to say was anything new to what I already researched. Oh and guess what, he has 670 bow and scales of doom. Well ofcourse he does some fucking 30k in a raid with a 670 weapon if I jumped from 18 to 20k dummy dps with a weapon just 5 ilevels higher.

Quote Originally Posted by NiXaN View Post
    I don't really think that this is it - as surv I was doing a lot higher dps than him with the same gear, so I think that it is, to an extent at least, something wrong.

So, lets go off the checklist. You playing surv? Black arrow staying up number 1 prio? Spamming LnL procs? ES on CD?

Do you have ANY free space in your rotation? Cus hunters should have 0, its not like playing frost dk where theres periods of standing there doing nothing. Ever GCD should be being used.

Some minor things that will increase your dps:
    If you are using FS, as you are, dont use TOTH. Use Steady Focus. FS counts as 2 shots for steady focus, much better.
    Curiosity - why did you get those legs? The pvp vendor also sells multistrike legs. Its irrelevent cus its not that big of a deal, just curious.
    Other people are saying its the weapon - weapon damage isnt THAT big of a deal for surv so I doubt that was a huge deal.

For reference, here's my armoury: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...taeonis/simple
    I'm pulling around 32k dps on butcher, and my gear really isn't much better than yours. It HAS to be something to do with rotation. Steady focus will help a bit, but go check out that guide that's up there and make 100% sure that you are doing that rotation right, and try to get some logs if you want more precise help - we can only guess at what's going wrong.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Deleted
    Explosive shot on cd, black arrow on cd, murder of crows on cd, multi shot for aoe. Hunter in a nutshell?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erris View Post
    Is it possible for some characters to be bugged server-wise?

I'm asking because my dps on a 660 ilevel hunter is trash tier. Like 22k on Butcher, last night I did 21,5k on mythic twins. I have read all the guides, Icy Veins, Azortharion, etc , have followed the right rotations and am geared according to the guides yet my dps is 8k lower than it should be and I have no fucking clue why.

On the raid dummy I do like 18k and in hc dungeons up to 27k.

I am the end of my wit and I have not signed up for the BRF raid yet as I don't want to get told to improve my dps when there doesn't seem to be anything that can be done to improve it. I'm not an idiot, I used to be in another guild's progression group back in MoP and was always in the top 3 on the meter. This expansion seems like I got hit with the Dumb Hammer or something as I can't figure out what I'm doing so god damn wrong that I'm dropping by 8k, it must be something systemic, as failing to follow the rotation is not such a huge drop nor is not having bis gear such a big deal.

This is my armory http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Vexise/simple
    First and foremost, you play survival hunter, as long as you dont have multistrike gear to match the spec, your going to have a bad time. Have you tried trill of the hunt? It is rng but if it is on your side, its going to be impact highly on your dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdruidelf View Post
    I don't really think that this is it - as surv I was doing a lot higher dps than him with the same gear, so I think that it is, to an extent at least, something wrong.

So, lets go off the checklist. You playing surv? Black arrow staying up number 1 prio? Spamming LnL procs? ES on CD?

Do you have ANY free space in your rotation? Cus hunters should have 0, its not like playing frost dk where theres periods of standing there doing nothing. Ever GCD should be being used.

Some minor things that will increase your dps:
    If you are using FS, as you are, dont use TOTH. Use Steady Focus. FS counts as 2 shots for steady focus, much better.
    Curiosity - why did you get those legs? The pvp vendor also sells multistrike legs. Its irrelevent cus its not that big of a deal, just curious.
    Other people are saying its the weapon - weapon damage isnt THAT big of a deal for surv so I doubt that was a huge deal.

For reference, here's my armoury: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...taeonis/simple
    I'm pulling around 32k dps on butcher, and my gear really isn't much better than yours. It HAS to be something to do with rotation. Steady focus will help a bit, but go check out that guide that's up there and make 100% sure that you are doing that rotation right, and try to get some logs if you want more precise help - we can only guess at what's going wrong.
    Steady focus isnt as good as you think it is. In most cases you end up with more focus gained from ToTH than SF.

The general consensus is that while FS is good, ToTH is either slightly worse, equal or way better on ST fights depending on RNG, and superior on aoe fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    Steady focus isnt as good as you think it is. In most cases you end up with more focus gained from ToTH than SF.

The general consensus is that while FS is good, ToTH is either slightly worse, equal or way better on ST fights depending on RNG, and superior on aoe fights.
    Considering all top hunters (rogerbrown for example) use it, Im gonna go with them as knowing more than you.
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.

Considering all top hunters (rogerbrown for example) use it, Im gonna go with them as knowing more than you.
    Yeah, because Rogerbrown is king of hunter DPS. /s

Maybe listen to maths (and you know, use some simple logic. Are you better at using ToTH than the sim? If you knew how it played ToTH, the answer to that would be "yes". Can you use Steady Focus without focus capping? I am willing to bet no..) instead of being thick, unless what your Rogerbrown God (who self-admits to not really giving shits about a few hundred DPS and frequently goes with whatever he likes more for farm content. Hint hint he used Blink Strikes as Surv religiously in SoO and never played BM outside progress) surpasses what that can tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Azortharion View Post
    Yeah, because Rogerbrown is king of hunter DPS. /s

Maybe listen to maths (and you know, use some simple logic. Are you better at using ToTH than the sim? If you knew how it played ToTH, the answer to that would be "yes". Can you use Steady Focus without focus capping? I am willing to bet no..) instead of being thick, unless what your Rogerbrown God (who self-admits to not really giving shits about a few hundred DPS and frequently goes with whatever he likes more for farm content. Hint hint he used Blink Strikes as Surv religiously in SoO and never played BM outside progress) surpasses what that can tell you.
    Lol how can focus capping possibly be a problem? It should literally never be a problem mate. Do you ever focus cap? Just dump focus before using FS, hunters aren't really that complex xD.

Sure, now hit your shit on cooldown at the same time. Show us your plays. Logs. Videos. Steady Focus. Raid environment, go!

azortharion, how do you feel about multistrike on a survival hunter, how good is it vs the other stats?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by altR magician View Post
    azortharion, how do you feel about multistrike on a survival hunter, how good is it vs the other stats?
    2 times better then any other stat for SV atm

Quote Originally Posted by Miloscub View Post
    2 times better then any other stat for SV atm
    Is this based on sims? I heard from one guy that it was four times better than everything else, and this guy was 7/7 mythic, but he never shared the link to the thread with the information

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by altR magician View Post
    Is this based on sims? I heard from one guy that it was four times better than everything else, and this guy was 7/7 mythic, but he never shared the link to the thread with the information
    if you click azor's sig you will get to his guide, here.

Blindly copying the top hunters without understanding why they do what they do wont get you very far.

Rogerbrown is also using ToTH btw.
    Last edited by Hoofey; 2015-02-08 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    Blindly copying the top hunters without understanding why they do what they do wont get you very far.

Rogerbrown is also using ToTH btw.
    Eh, regardless its not gonna be more than 100 dps difference, that wouldn't change anything about the OP's dps. If he's doing 8k less than sims it has to be something like not using black arrow on CD, stuff that can't really be checked without logs.

Deleted
    Lol how can focus capping possibly be a problem? It should literally never be a problem mate. Do you ever focus cap? Just dump focus before using FS, hunters aren't really that complex xD.
    And that's why you will delay ES and BA for a few seconds... in addition to that, TotH will provide ways to do damage on the move more often than SF will.

Eh, regardless its not gonna be more than 100 dps difference, that wouldn't change anything about the OP's dps. If he's doing 8k less than sims it has to be something like not using black arrow on CD, stuff that can't really be checked without logs.
    True enough.

I've helped countless hunters over the years, and every time the conclusion has been that they simply aren't using enough skills compared to the other hunters.
    In most cases they've had far less ES/AS/CS used, and way too many Cobra/Steady's compared to the others.