Poll: Is it wrong that I feel the need to self-censor?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    That video is just very clever marketing

55 million views, and it's an ad for tampons from the market leader in tampons

Great advertising right there
    I wouldn't call it great advertising when the product you are trying to sell is forgotten and the sole reason the people watch the ad is for arguing. Great marketting is getting people to talk about your product in a way that they would want to buy it.

But in a way you are right, bad publicity is still better then no publicity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    and that isn't what is happening in liberal academia these days and if you don't believe me I will fill these thread with example how conservatives ideas are shut out or shut down by professors
    "Liberal academia" is a nonsense concept that emerged because it came about that people who were better-educated tended to be more liberal. That isn't because of indoctrination, it's because of education.

Being proud of ignorance is one of the most ridiculous things that's emerged in our society.

you let the students decide you present both sides other wise your propagandizing
    That isn't remotely true.

1> There usually aren't "two sides". There's multiple, potentially dozens. And no one is pushed over the others.
    2> There are also arguments that can't be justifiably backed up. Those aren't "sides", they're just wrong. If they were defensible, someone would've made a defensible argument, and they wouldn't be considered "wrong" in the first place.

Hell, take my ethics course. We've covered at least a dozen different ethical frameworks. That doesn't mean you can make up your own "fuck the rules, I do what I want" framework and claim to be just as "right" as any of the others. You need to understand all those frameworks, the strengths and weak points of all of them, and be able to cross-compare between any of them.

Real education doesn't involve picking "sides" in the first place. Knowledge isn't about picking a team to cheer for, like sports.

I think it is wrong, but it is the professor's class so nothing you can do.

Once had a Fox News viewing teacher flunk me after it was noted that I am an Atheist lefty. So there's that. Yeah, you shouldn't have to censor yourself because of a feminazi teacher.

10+ Year Old Account
    if liberalism is the only correct path then what is they worry about presenting both sides are you saying students aren't smart enough to choose the correct argument there for they only need to be presented with the one you think is right
    "Liberalism" isn't the "only correct path", and no college I've attended has ever taught that. I have to seriously wonder if you've ever attended post-secondary school, let alone graduated, if this is the kind of thing you think is going on there.

Hell, "liberalism" isn't even a path. It's a wide and open sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "Liberal academia" is a nonsense concept that emerged because it came about that people who were better-educated tended to be more liberal. That isn't because of indoctrination, it's because of education.
    Except there is plenty of liberal indoctrination in academia. Professors often present only one side and I have seen plenty of examples of this over the past two years.

One thing you have to remember is that men and women are different and, because of this, cannot be considered equal.

For starters, you don't see nightclubs offering "mens nights" and giving them discounts on drinks, or free entry into clubs. You also would never see a court favouring a man in a custody battle should all things be equal. On top of that male rape cases are taken less seriously.

I mean sure, you get arguments from people who'll spout off some nonsense that women are treated worse than men, but that's all it is. nonsense. They are treated differently, and equally unfairly. So one of the major issues is how "Feminists" are busy fighting for their rights, they're not fighting for equality (nobody ever fights for equality.)

But on the flip side you've got the usual spiel about women being unfairly treated in the workplace, less pay for the same work (though we're all aware it's not always the same work, Postal Workers in the UK having different restrictions on how much a male and a female worker can carry in their sack) and how less than 15% of Fortune 500 companies have female board members etc. Well that's the thing, of course they're still treated unfairly, it's only been a 150 years since women could vote! (and originally it was only married women over 30 until Mr John Stuart Mill fought for women's rights back in 1865).

But when compared to certain cultures, women in "western society" have a much more even footing than many others - the right to vote, drive, become elected officials etc. The legal rights that women are afforded are prevalent throughout western culture, regardless of whether they are able to exercise those rights to an equal station with men.

But getting back on track OP, you have to focus on what the class is about and, if you feel women are equal to men, then you need to explain not just why you feel that way but point out how they are afforded the same rights and privileges as men (even if they are not afforded the same treatment) before pointing out how there's no such thing as equality and how both sides suffer from the power struggle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SaigonRE View Post
    Except there is plenty of liberal indoctrination in academia. Professors often present only one side and I have seen plenty of examples of this over the past two years.
    I've yet to see a single example of this that didn't boil down to "my ignorance got me an F".

10+ Year Old Account
    That video is just very clever marketing

55 million views, and it's an ad for tampons from the market leader in tampons

Great advertising right there
    I've got to agree with this....
    The cleverness was to use females for the most part.
    Everyone with 2 cents worth of life experience knows that the sentence "like a girl" is almost exclusively used with males.
    But not to shame on females, but to express how the male does not call up it's naturally superior physical potential.
    That's in itself just simple biologic facts. Males are built physically stronger than females.
    To tell a girl "you throw/run/hit like a girl"... That be a DUH moment....
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

"Liberalism" isn't the "only correct path", and no college I've attended has ever taught that. I have to seriously wonder if you've ever attended post-secondary school, let alone graduated, if this is the kind of thing you think is going on there.

How would you feel about a teacher that starts out a class on the Vietnam War by declaring the war to be "a representation of a fundamental flaw in the American character?" Not only is that an argument that the Vietnam War was immoral, but that Americans have always been a fundamentally immoral and "racist" society.

Deleted

To be honest, maybe you haven't kept track with what's happening in universities these days.

There is definitely some dogma in colleges right now, and it's very aggressively pushed onto student bodies.

If you disagree, it's witch hunt time.

Being proud of ignorance is one of the most ridiculous things that's emerged in our society.
    My favorite Quote and can be applied to vyxn on almost every topic he debates.

"“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"

-Isaac Asimov

Guys, Ive got a 150 word essay due but Im sitting here playing WoW lol.

Guess who has the doctorate? the lecturer. Guess who doesn't? you. Either pull your head in or provide reliable sources that contradict what she is saying. Most lecturers don't mind this as long as it is backed up by research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    In a world which is already extremely right-wing and conservative in it's power structures (because that is what benefits those in power the most) there would be no point in trying to promote right-wing thinking or idealolgies. Such ideologies already get massively promoted and encouraged through PR and privately owned media nowadays.

When your world is filled with 'A', uneducated people's most basic instinct is 'A' and the political and economical elite try to enforce 'A' at every turn... then what merit would it be to educate people on 'A' in advanced classes? The only thing you can do is to push 'B' and hope that at some point these people will not be tempted to just do 'A' once they get in positions of leadership.

That said... my economics profs usually were very right-wing, but... needless to say they were economists or investors in multinational businesses or banks... so, bias, you know...
    I stick to what I said already....
    A teachers personal opinion has no place in a class room, other than stating it when asked about it.... The teaching itself should in no way be influenced by it. No matter the aspect, or subject of the teaching. Because, besides the parents, teachers are the most powerful individuals with enough influence to literally brainwash a student.
    Teaching should focus on knowledge and science. Should promote self sufficiency and critical thinking.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SaigonRE View Post
    How would you feel about a teacher that starts out a class on the Vietnam War by declaring the war to be "a representation of a fundamental flaw in the American character?" Not only is that an argument that the war was immoral, but that Americans have always been fundamentally immoral and "racist" as a society.
    It's hard to say from that statement whether racism was a part of the argument, but that racism has been a fundamental part of America's character isn't "indoctrination", it's historical record; the country was built on slavery.

It certainly doesn't suggest any kind of "indoctrination"; pretty much every historian who's written on the subject has been pretty condemnatory, and for good reason. It wasn't even a popular war at the time.

Also, "American character" refers to the nation as a whole, not every individual within it.

I really don't see the issue, unless you're trying to argue that the Vietnam War was totally awesome and everyone loved it. In which case, I'd be comfortable saying you're just wrong.

To be honest, maybe you haven't kept track with what's happening in universities these days.

There is definitely some dogma in colleges right now, and it's very aggressively pushed onto student bodies.
    Again, I haven't seen it, unless the "dogma" you mean is "stop being a bigot to people".

I'm surprised you'd even have troubles in a Women's Studies course. Isn't it just going over different periods in history?
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    you're not supposed to kill someone unless they kill you first. it's common sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by alphalion View Post
    Ironically the things that are being taught are often propaganda and shallow studies, while a personal opinion most of the time comes from an actual research and critical thinking.

An example of a propaganda, ignoring the fact that most of department now has an affirmative action policy in favor of Women (better pay than male counterpart, or lower standard requirement, etc). It is also sexist because it assumes Men are paid more because they are men, ignoring the fact that men can be better, more hard working, more adaptive to terrible working condition. Those people are quite fast, when asked "why in some place women are more paid than men", that "maybe because the women are better". So women can be better than a man therefore she deserve a better paycheck, but a man cannot be, and if he has higher paycheck is because his boss is sexist. Now that's sexism
    So much truth has never been stated in a single sentence before.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

That isn't remotely true.

1> There usually aren't "two sides". There's multiple, potentially dozens. And no one is pushed over the others.
    2> There are also arguments that can't be justifiably backed up. Those aren't "sides", they're just wrong. If they were defensible, someone would've made a defensible argument, and they wouldn't be considered "wrong" in the first place.

Hell, take my ethics course. We've covered at least a dozen different ethical frameworks. That doesn't mean you can make up your own "fuck the rules, I do what I want" framework and claim to be just as "right" as any of the others. You need to understand all those frameworks, the strengths and weak points of all of them, and be able to cross-compare between any of them.

Real education doesn't involve picking "sides" in the first place. Knowledge isn't about picking a team to cheer for, like sports.
    didn't want to be forced to prove how once again how misinformed you are but you give me no choice

do you think you can present work with a conservative point of view in any of those professors classes and have that work looked at objectively and if that isn't enough evidence to prove my point I will fill these thread with more

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Guys, Ive got a 150 word essay due but Im sitting here playing WoW lol.

Guess who has the doctorate? the lecturer. Guess who doesn't? you. Either pull your head in or provide reliable sources that contradict what she is saying. Most lecturers don't mind this as long as it is backed up by research.
    What the fuck, you made a topic about 150 words? :/ I've written more words in this thread...more or less...

It's hard to say from that statement whether racism was a part of the argument, but that racism has been a fundamental part of America's character isn't "indoctrination", it's historical record; the country was built on slavery.

It certainly doesn't suggest any kind of "indoctrination"; pretty much every historian who's written on the subject has been pretty condemnatory, and for good reason. It wasn't even a popular war at the time.

Also, "American character" refers to the nation as a whole, not every individual within it.

I really don't see the issue, unless you're trying to argue that the Vietnam War was totally awesome and everyone loved it. In which case, I'd be comfortable saying you're just wrong.
    A professor isn't supposed to interject their personal opinion as to whether or not a war was "immoral" or "justified." They also aren't supposed to interject their opinion as to whether or not American society is "fundamentally flawed." That's why you're supposed to be using phrases like "some argue" or "some believe" in academia. You're not supposed to interject your personal opinion.

I had another professor who showed us a video of a Palestinian refugee camp in the 1950s, without showing the context or showing the Israeli/Western perspective at all. That's clear anti-Israel propaganda right there.