Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dread Pirate Roberts finally brought to justice?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/silk-roa...83107?mod=e2fb
    http://www.itv.com/news/2015-02-04/s...-life-in-jail/
    http://time.com/3696138/ross-ulbrich...irate-roberts/
    http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/04/tech...kroad0410story

I don't know what to make of this. On the one hand I had friends saying he has been set up as a scapegoat; others are adamant justice has been served.

Would love to hear gen-OT's thoughts on the topic
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2015-02-05 at 12:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

He was found guilty by a Jury. So the article makes it sound like the government's doing, but a Jury represents citizens (i.e. peers of the accused) and not the government.

10+ Year Old Account
    From reading the ARS pieces on it, it seems pretty clear that they caught him red handed. Even had chat logs from him.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/silk-roa...83107?mod=e2fb

I don't know what to make of this. On the one hand I had friends saying he has been set up as a scapegoat; others are adamant justice has been served.

Would love to hear gen-OT's thoughts on the topic
    "The defense argued that Ulbricht had created the site but passed it on to another operator but was lured back in as a fall guy."
    Made me laugh. Juries rarely buy this crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Sounds pretty convincing to me. Like a lot of criminals dealing with tech stuff he underestimated the resources of the government at tracking things. I thought it was pretty ironic they trafficked in bitcoin because it "Can't be tracked" and the cops say they tracked 13 million of it to his computer.

Anonymity on the internet most depends on someone not putting in the effort to track you, because it is resource intensive, but it is far from impossible, and if you give someone powerful like the US government, or certain hacker groups a good reason to track you, then they will.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    We'll find out if the silkroad 3.0 comes shortly after this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

15+ Year Old Account
    To Read the Full Story, Subscribe or Log In
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I don't make an awful lot of threads but people get arsey about the news source, and I thought Wall Street Journal was moderately well known or w/e.
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought the real Dread Pirate Roberts had retired in Patagonia and has been living like a king ever since.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't make an awful lot of threads but people get arsey about the news source, and I thought Wall Street Journal was moderately well known or w/e.
    Problem is that it is too much of a quality news source, so they think people will pay to use it.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Games I'm playing right now (not necessarily literally):
    D3, CS:GO, TF2, Hearthstone
    Hit me up if you wanna play sometime.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    His problem isn't the credibility, it is that he can't read it because you have to pay for it, lol.

Some of the charges are pretty serious. These are like 20 year min sentences from what I'm reading. Time to snitch.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's mildly disconcerting considering SRO was the first MMO I'd ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post
    Some of the charges are pretty serious. These are like 20 year min sentences from what I'm reading. Time to snitch.
    He's due to spend the rest of his life in prison, I believe.

Also some people are equating this to convicting the owner of craigslist if someone sells something illegal through it, or at least saying it sets precedent for such charges to be brought on the owner of the website rather than the people trading in illicit goods.

Can we get an actual source? Not some pay to read crap.
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

10+ Year Old Account
    To Read the Full Story, Subscribe or Log In
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    My thoughts precisely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Sounds pretty convincing to me. Like a lot of criminals dealing with tech stuff he underestimated the resources of the government at tracking things. I thought it was pretty ironic they trafficked in bitcoin because it "Can't be tracked" and the cops say they tracked 13 million of it to his computer.

Anonymity on the internet most depends on someone not putting in the effort to track you, because it is resource intensive, but it is far from impossible, and if you give someone powerful like the US government, or certain hacker groups a good reason to track you, then they will.
    They didn't really track bitcoins to his computer, so much as they tracked bitcoins from his computer. Little detail, I know, but it makes a lot of difference.

Also, anyone dumb enough to use one of these sites, let alone run one, is kinda asking for trouble. These things are the easiest thing in the world for law enforcement to honeydick people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a WoW boss

Quote Originally Posted by Zvinny View Post
    honeydick
    Stealing phrases from The Interview I see.
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?