Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Brian Williams was not shot down in Iraq

So Brian Williams has recanted his recount of being shot down while traveling on a Chinook in Iraq back in 2003. Due to the "fog of memory" he "managed to switch aircraft."

Personally, I don't think a person can have trouble "remembering" if they were on a helicopter that was forced to land after getting hit by 2 RPGs and small arms fire.

Is an apology enough?

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/nbc-s...otest-1.327792

He apologized on national TV, not with obscure press release stuff that most people pull. If that's not enough, what else would you want him to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Maybe he hit his head on an RPG.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    He apologized on national TV, not with obscure press release stuff that most people pull. If that's not enough, what else would you want him to do?
    I just don't know if I believe that he mis-remembered the events. It feels more like he simply lied. As a reporter, I'm not sure that an apology would be sufficient for lying.

He needs to resign. I don't care about him one way or the other, but you would think the network would want a host that viewers felt they can trust. I don't see how viewers could trust him at this point. Funny how he only apologizes when a story comes out questioning his truthfulness.

I'm cynical about his rebuttal to the accusations because getting shot down in Iraq would be a plus for his ratings. He was motivated to say he was shot down for financial reasons, it helped his job.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I can't say I'm overly bothered by it in general.
    Given the number of soldiers who blatantly lie about their combat experience(s), I've met over the years, some reporter lying about doesn't bother me.

To each their own though, I can't blame people for being offended by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

I think it's pretty clear that he lied. If I were in charge of the network, I'd probably can him in an attempt to maintain credibility. That being said, I don't really give a shit because I don't tune into network news.
    Games I'm playing right now (not necessarily literally):
    D3, CS:GO, TF2, Hearthstone
    Hit me up if you wanna play sometime.

Deleted

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SpcGuts View Post
    Is an apology enough?
    No! He needs to be fired and put in jail for 30 years and hung from his balls!

Seriously people? If shit like this would be going on in Finland, concerning a TV anchor, nobody would give a shit. "Oh no, he lied!" So. What.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

Seriously people? If shit like this would be going on in Finland, concerning a TV anchor, nobody would give a shit. "Oh no, he lied!" So. What.
    'Murica is an entirely different world
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

Well if he fancies himself a journalist, this is pretty damning. I certainly don't think any action should be taken other than career punishments. It is likely that the network is the true culprit, however, so punishing him might be misguided.
    Games I'm playing right now (not necessarily literally):
    D3, CS:GO, TF2, Hearthstone
    Hit me up if you wanna play sometime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who is this and why is it important?

10+ Year Old Account
    He only owned up to it because soldiers that were there called him out. He's only sorry because he got caught. Hell, he repeated the story only a week ago, I think. lol

They won't fire him, but his credibility is damaged.
    Last edited by Flutterguy; 2015-02-05 at 09:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe not equivocate about the apology by claiming that in the fog of war he couldn't remember that he wasn't actually shot down?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

If I were to give him the benefit of the doubt, it'd be that human memory is notoriously terrible. Remembering something that happened to other people as being something that happened to you isn't especially rare. Since I generally like to approach things as a Bayesian, I keep that possibility open... but there's another possibility that I think is more likely, given my general impression of the media - he's a lying liar that lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    He only owned up to it because soldiers that were there called him out. He's only sorry because he got caught. Hell, he repeated the story only a week ago, I think. lol
    They were calling it Stolen Valor. It's not but damn close.

The Stolen Valor Act of 2013 amends the federal criminal code to rewrite provisions relating to fraudulent claims about military service to subject to a fine, imprisonment for not more than one year, or both an individual who, with intent to obtain money, property, or other tangible benefit, fraudulently holds himself or herself out to be a recipient of.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Maybe not equivocate about the apology by claiming that in the fog of war he couldn't remember that he wasn't actually shot down?
    His chopper was only an hour behind the one that was shot down, surely this is a common mistake.

One time I was on a plane with Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper and....oh wait, now that I think about it, I was just riding bumper cars.

with a lie like that and continue for year repeating that same lie is an indication of an habitual liar you lose all creditability and trust and you need those traits to be a conceded a good news caster
    but who im a kidding you still think Obama is creditable and deserves trust
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2015-02-05 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    with a lie like that and continue for year repeating that same lie is an indication of an habitual liar you lose all creditability and trust and you need those traits to be a conceded a good news caster
    but who im a kidding you still think Obama is creditable and deserves trust
    You didn't even answer the question in the quote. In fact, this reply would have made just as much sense had you not quoted me. Also, I haven't considered Obama trustworthy ever since I caught wind of TPP. But thanks for assuming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?