Upgrading MacBook Pro?

Hey guys,

I'm a college student who bought into the MacBook hype going into freshman year like an idiot. I spent too much so won't be able to build a desktop for a while. It's a mid-2012 model. I was wondering if you think it'd be worth it to upgrade the RAM (currently at 4 GB ) but I'd look into getting 8 or 16 GB total.
    Also, would it be worth it to replace the hard drive with a SSD?
    I use my MacBook to play WoW and run programs for school. I plan on having it for a good couple more years and want to make reasonable decisions.

Thanks!

15+ Year Old Account
    2012 was when they started to solder hdd's in, the early ones weren't but I am not sure on the mid 2012. I would check yours and see, if its soldered in you won't be able to change hdd to ssd.

Memory all depends on what you use it for.

They have good resale value if you want to get something nicer.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The SSD would be the most significant upgrade for you, if possible.

AFAIK, they haven't soldered any HD's to motherboards yet. RAM, yes, HDs, no.

Problem actually becomes that most of the "Retina" models that are current aren't put together with screws anymore - they're glued together with industrial adhesive.

You cant get into them -at all-.

Theyre heading that way with the Mini and the iMac line too - oly the larger 27" iMacs can be gotten into at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it a "Mid-2012" 13"?

If so, that is the last model that is still screwed together. Everything (RAM, HDD) is upgradeable easily by the user. You just take the bottom off and the RAM is right there, and the HDD requires just a few screws and carefully removing the SATA/Power conncetions and replacing it with a drive of your choice.

I frequently get requests for this model precisely BECAUSE it is the last one that is user serviceable.

Pretty sure the only way to upgrade a modern Macbook Pro is to buy a new one.