Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

politics on MMOC

Hey guys, i dont want this to be a bashing thread but i have a question. In my opinion, the majority of this site leans more to the liberal side. Do you agree? Why do you think that is? Ive been on MMO for a while just to read the wow stuff on the homepage. Didnt really start reading the threads til a few months ago. Do you think most people that play video games and discuss it on forums like this tend to be liberal? Just curious.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Because to Americans the rest of the world is liberal. It is definitely 90% of the world being lefties and not America being a bit on the extreme right side .
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably because people who think the same tend to stick together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Define liberal for me, is it the American version you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Because to Americans the rest of the world is liberal. It is definitely 90% of the world being lefties and not America being a bit on the extreme right side .
    Never thought about it that way. Only other site i tend to visit regulary in my free time is a fitness site. Both US and euros there too. Most of the people there are more conservative. Wondering what factors draw certain political affliation to certain sites.

they TEND to be a bunch of screaming monkeys (myself not excluded).

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Define liberal for me, is it the American version you mean?
    Yea. I'm from america so i guess the american version.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Hey guys, i dont want this to be a bashing thread but i have a question. In my opinion, the majority of this site leans more to the liberal side. Do you agree? Why do you think that is? Ive been on MMO for a while just to read the wow stuff on the homepage. Didnt really start reading the threads til a few months ago. Do you think most people that play video games and discuss it on forums like this tend to be liberal? Just curious.
    Define "liberal", and what your center point is.

Most of our users are probably more right-wing or more conservative than I am. But I don't claim the site is biased towards being right-wing, because I'm well aware that I'm not a centrist to begin with.

Because what is considered the right in the US is actually a zealot cult that doesn't have a lot of representation in the rest of the world. For the rest of the world, democrats would be somewhat right-leaning centrists.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

Most of our users are probably more right-wing or more conservative than I am. But I don't claim the site is biased towards being right-wing, because I'm well aware that I'm not a centrist to begin with.
    American liberal. When controversial subjects come up, more users seem to argue for the "liberal" point of view. Like if you google what each side stands for in america at least, lets say abortion, liberals would more likely argue for it, conservatives would more likely argue against. Not saying everyone of one party is uniform.

Point was what draws more of one side to here than the other when its a video game forum. Im of the opinion that in america at least, people seem to be 50/50 on being liberal or conservative. maybe im wrong. maybe its not that way in EU.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Because what is considered the right in the US is actually a zealot cult that doesn't have a lot of representation in the rest of the world. For the rest of the world, democrats would be somewhat right-leaning centrists.
    Yea that makes sense. I have a limited view point. I dont stay current on world politics.

10+ Year Old Account
    I consider myself a moderate conservative but my views align closer with the democrats than the republicans. Make of that what you will.

Deleted
    Gen offtopic shifts topics and political orientation depending on the Time.

A big issue is that politics isn't on some linear left vs right scale. Politics is all over the place. It's a big map. The US has divided politics with wedge issues to left vs right and often tried to jame issues on to that scale, and the US culture influences a lot of the world. The thing is though, its a very arbitrary split that is a product of our political structure.

There's been tons of movements and factions through history all with their set of beliefs and things they are against. One of the biggest ones in the world a few centuries ago was the monarchists vs the republicanism. It caused huge divisions based on the value of individuals, the meaning of state etc that now are mostly taken for granted.

Communism was a huge political movement that we try to cram on our modern scale but it doesn't really exist on it and neither does fascsism.

Even modern beliefs really don't make sense on it but we sure try to create that arbitrary split because that's how our culture thinks about things.

The US right is a movement too, it was a 80's faction created by rejection of the liberalization of the US and made powerful by opportunity to declare opposition to communism, but it's just one faction of many.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Probably because a lot of the people on this site waste their entire lives sitting at home on the computer. They want free stuff given to them to support their laziness. They have little to no real life experiances and only believe what is told to them through liberal media sources.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    I will tell you why but would get banned for doing so because you are not allowed to discuss forum moderation

let me put it this way when you have the powers to be tend to be on one side then you attract people from that side
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2015-02-05 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    I will tell you why but would get banned for doing so because you are not allowed to discuss forum moderation

let me put it this way when you have the powers to be tend to be on one side then you attract people from that side
    Also I think the massive victimhood complex the US right-wing uses as a political tool turns a lot of people off.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post

Yes please more conspiracy theories from the right!
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Also I think the massive victimhood complex the US right-wing uses as a political tool turns a lot of people off.
    I think both sides do it pretty equally in media and real world.. Have noticed on this site though that nonliberals tend to use it more. Could be an "underdog" or "minority" thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

You're influenced by being raised amidst the horrors of World War II by a scientist that rescued you and all that. Admit it, Endus, that isn't just your avatar.

To the OP: Honestly, I think if you picked people's brains, they're probably left leaning on some issues and more right on others. That said, younger generations have been leaning more liberal in general from what I recall of polls/studies and gaming sites do tend to be visited most by younger demographics, even if some of us are older gaming fogies now. :P

You have a lot of foreigners who come here and they tend to lean left. And then you have the American left, disenfranchised for decades, they come here to find a sympathetic ear with the foreigners.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland