Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    A disingenuous narrative in the 21st Century. #YaButCrusades!
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2015-02-06 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Recent enough to be relevant when talking about current religious extremism.

A conservative talking about context? That's just hilarious.

That's also in the bible. Crazy huh?

"the left" huh? Does that mean "the right" doesn't believe in vaccines? Or believes that gays should be put on an island in isolation? Or that they can see Russia from their house? (Oh wait...context...she didn't actually say that.)

And why should they, assuming they aren't abusing people in the process? Not everyone has to hold the same beliefs.

When is the last time there was an honest discussion about Islam in the political arena?
    The bible says to be submissive, not to obey. There is a difference. Also, the Bible is pretty clear with the stories and parables told that Jesus wants anyone who believes in him to stand up for him, even if it means going against your husband/family/friends. And discrediting someone because they are a conservative is actually bigotry.

You don't really need to go back to the Crusades to find ugly examples of Christian extremism. Just take a look at eastern India, or anywhere in sub-Saharan Africa.

What I'd really like to see is for people to become more literate about the beliefs of Islam, especially in the variations between sects. Extremism is not homogenously distributed across Islam. You have sects that are entirely benign, and have never, and will never produce an aggressive militant. You have other sects where more often than not, if a member is not an extremist, they approve of extremism for the most part.

The popularity of different movements within religions shape them. If European, "strong" Lutheranism were as dominant and aggressive as it was in the early 20th century, Christianity would be a much uglier religion than it is now. I think the key is that instead of walling off moderate and benign muslims with suspicion and hostility, they should be unquestionably "one of us."
    Last edited by Polyxo; 2015-02-06 at 09:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    he's stating fact. christians do some horrible things even today that kill way more people than islamic terrorists.
    That's implying that Obama sends planes somewhere to bomb just because the Pope told him to.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    I will admit in the past yes but what today is being done in the name of Christianity that even remotely resembles what the terrorist are doing under the name of Islam?
    Witch-burning and executions of heretics is fairly prevalent in some parts of Christian Africa.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ofLegends View Post
    But, statistically, the majority of humans who commit terrorism are muslim.

I just know I'm going to get jumped for having the "wrong" opinion of the day/week/year.
    "Statistically" and "opinion" are not compatible words.

Also, are Vynx threads a thing now?

Deleted
    His message is obvious enough but doesn't jibe with my world view.

LETS RIP APART THE WORDING TO FIND A MEANING THAT SUITS MY WORLD VIEW.

American Politics in a nutshell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting article about historians comments on Obama's comments:

https://gma.yahoo.com/historians-wei...233947247.html

"Asbridge said he doesn’t have a problem with the president reminding the world that the Christian Church “advocated violence, and at times even encouraged its adherents to engage in warfare” but to suggest a causal link between ISIS and the distant medieval phenomenon of the Crusades is “grounded in the manipulation and misrepresentation of historical evidence."

Pretty intelligent take on it.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Interesting article about historians comments on Obama's comments:

https://gma.yahoo.com/historians-wei...233947247.html

"Asbridge said he doesn’t have a problem with the president reminding the world that the Christian Church “advocated violence, and at times even encouraged its adherents to engage in warfare” but to suggest a causal link between ISIS and the distant medieval phenomenon of the Crusades is “grounded in the manipulation and misrepresentation of historical evidence."

Pretty intelligent take on it.
    It does disservice to the history surrounding the crusades in their context at that time.