Considering studying abroad for a summer.

So I'm currently a student at Bowling Green State University in Ohio and they offer the chance for people to study abroad in Salzberg. It's a 3 week summer course that gives you the chance to study there and you can also go see the country while you're there. It seems like a good experience while I'm in my undergraduate studies. I'm curious if anybody here has taken part in such an opportunity? How was your experience with it? Where did you study abroad at?

I want to do this because last time I was in Europe, I was in the army and all I saw were airports, afghanistan, and incerlik in turkey. So I'd like to actually see the country now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So I'm currently a student at Bowling Green State University in Ohio and they offer the chance for people to study abroad in Salzberg. It's a 3 week summer course that gives you the chance to study there and you can also go see the country while you're there. It seems like a good experience while I'm in my undergraduate studies. I'm curious if anybody here has taken part in such an opportunity? How was your experience with it? Where did you study abroad at?

I want to do this because last time I was in Europe, I was in the army and all I saw were airports, afghanistan, and incerlik in turkey. So I'd like to actually see the country now.
    I've never done it, but i've looked into it at my school. Just be aware that you generally wanna try and sign up early if you wanna do it, and that it can also be a bit expensive.

I didn't go to Salzburg for a study abroad but I did go while I was in the Army. It's a pretty cool town. The Sound of Music was filmed there. Mozart was born there. People are really friendly and there are tourists from all over the world. There is a really cool Irish pub called the Dubliner that is around the corner from the Residenzplatz.

I had an italian class where some fellow students spent like 4 weeks in Italy taking a couple of classes. Might have been cool if you had friends to go with, but I'm a homebound cynic soooo it didn't interest me.

I go to Univ of Tenn and I went to Sydney summer before last. It's an amazing experience and it really teaches you a lot about how different the rest of the world is compared to us. So many people have nothing to go on except what they know here in the states and what they read about it in other places. There is a metric shit ton of stuff you have to prepare for with medical,currency rates,school paperwork, etc etc the list is endless but it's something I think everyone should do at least once in their life. Food usually tastes vastly different because they dont use a lot of the stuff the USA puts into our food so that may be a good or bad thing for you lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    So really you saw nothing of Europe as only a tiny amount of Turkey is in Europe (Incerlik is in the asian part) and Afghanistan is certainly not European?

If you've got the money, do it. I've been to Salzburg, it's really nice. If I'd got the chance to do a year/term abroad then I totally would have done it.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    So really you saw nothing of Europe as only a tiny amount of Turkey is in Europe (Incerlik is in the asian part) and Afghanistan is certainly not European?

If you've got the money, do it. I've been to Salzburg, it's really nice. If I'd got the chance to do a year/term abroad then I totally would have done it.
    Like I said I didn't see a whole lot of Europe. Mostly air ports and we stopped over at an airforce base in Italy for a night. But we slept in a gymnasium.

I did a study abroad in Spain. Easily one of the most memorable 6 months of my life thus far. I would highly recommend anything that allows you to be immersed in another culture and broaden your world view.

There's no excuse not to study abroad, unless money is a factor.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

15+ Year Old Account

If you can afford it, do it. Though 3 weeks seems really short for this kind of things, most of the time it's a few months, up to a full year, much better to really learn something and get into the country.

Couldn't do it when I was a student (too expensive back then, already had loans to pay univ), but after a few years of work and no more loans, I took a huge break to "see the world", one of the best things I did. Even stopped for 2 months in Thailand to go back to school (in a totally different field than what I work on), was really awesome

Doing it as a student is a huge plus on your CV. I've never ever met anyone who did a semester in a foreign country and who regretted it. It's usually *very* quick to get in, other foreign students are there (usually), and local ones are always glad to take them for a drink, or two, or three, or ...
    Oh, hi.