Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    No, I'm arguing for an increase on taxes across the board. Everybody getting pinged will make it easier to swallow, because the petty people will think "well, I'm not losing as much as Him." It will cause a wide growth in revenues because you're adding tens of millions of new sources, and frankly it will help reorganize politicians towards the mean, instead of the upper echelons.
    But that's exactly why tax brackets were invented. Sure, increases across the board but you still need to increase taxes on the wealthy more than taxes on the poor.

All flat rate taxes do is unrealistically burden lower-income earners because costs are non-linear to income.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    that was just demeaned so the democrats could say "see the republicans don't want to raise the minimum wage"
    exactly what a joke, sensationalist bullshit is all it is. HEY MINIMUM WAGE SHOULD BE $40 an hour cause why the fuck not. work at mcdonalds, vacation in hawaii 3 times a year with your phat stacks and no skills. why work hard move up and get paid when you can just wave a cash for gold sign and make 45k a year

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    But that's exactly why tax brackets were invented. Sure, increases across the board but you still need to increase taxes on the wealthy more than taxes on the poor.

All flat rate taxes do is unrealistically burden lower-income earners because costs are non-linear to income.
    I'm not talking about regressive taxes, either. I mean an increase to each bracket and cap to each bracket, such that each bracket is larger, but that the general progressive structure is retained.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    exactly what a joke, sensationalist bullshit is all it is. HEY MINIMUM WAGE SHOULD BE $40 an hour cause why the fuck not. work at mcdonalds, vacation in hawaii 3 times a year with your phat stacks and no skills. why work hard move up and get paid when you can just wave a cash for gold sign and make 45k a year
    Being able to make a living while working a job =/= vacationing in Hawaii 3 times a year.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not talking about regressive taxes, either. I mean an increase to each bracket and cap to each bracket, such that each bracket is larger, but that the general progressive structure is retained.
    Well sure, my only caveat is that EITC is still a government subsidy for shitty employment practices. If we just rectified the shitty employment practices, we wouldn't need the government subsidy, or the increased taxes!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

it's not just minimum wage. there's millions of jobs that aren't much higher than minimum wage. republicans claim to be the party of family values, but you can't stay off welfare/charity while working those jobs and afford to raise a family.

there aren't enough working teenagers to cove them all, so you have to admit it's impossible unless you expect millions of people to never get married and procreate. that's something that would devastate our population and destroy our economy. well, unless you want to let in more immigrants.

I worked for a movie theatre about 15 years ago and I have a friend who currently manages the same movie theatre. I can confirm that he is not lying about the evolution of the movie theatre industry. But as it has been pointed out so far in this thread, his minimum wage was worth more than today's minimum wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Being able to make a living while working a job =/= vacationing in Hawaii 3 times a year.
    $20 is not even close to what is needed to live off of, and the minimum isnt what you should be trying to live off of in the first place. go get skills so you dont work a mcdonalds with 15 year olds ffs. or you can deal with your hobo life choices. at $20 an hour in a 1 bed room apt complex you could easily go to hawaii 3 times a year. if you need a bigger apt then maybe you should get a real job and put skills you surely acquired before spitting out children to work

fucking beggers these days are insane, just want paid the same as skilled people for doing HIGHLY unskilled work. gtfo the country would be thriving without you.

increasing min wage is reasonable, to $20 is fucking nuts. you shouldnt even be allowed to have a job if you think it is reasonable, because you are mentally unstable and should be in a hospital so someone can change your diapers
    Last edited by The Oblivion; 2015-02-06 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Well sure, my only caveat is that EITC is still a government subsidy for shitty employment practices. If we just rectified the shitty employment practices, we wouldn't need the government subsidy, or the increased taxes!
    Well, we actually do need the increased taxes anyway because the past decade-and-a-half's tax cuts and egregious spending habits have left the US with some looming fiscal hurdles to jump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    it's not just minimum wage. there's millions of jobs that aren't much higher than minimum wage. republicans claim to be the party of family values, but you can't stay off welfare/charity while working those jobs and afford to raise a family.

there aren't enough working teenagers to cove them all, so you have to admit it's impossible unless you expect millions of people to get married and procreate. that's something that would devastate our population and destroy our economy. well, unless you want to let in more immigrants.
    youth unemployment is 20% so I guess your wrong there.
    Last edited by stabetha; 2015-02-06 at 06:21 AM.
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    that was just demeaned so the democrats could say "see the republicans don't want to raise the minimum wage"
    Democrats are not asking for 20$ an hour. You are doing exactly what you claim democrats could do...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i like Mike Rowe's opinion on a lot of things, but I disagree with him on this. I dont think he factors inflation on what he made when he worked min and what people make working now. If he wants people to be able to live, and everything Ive ever read says that he does, he should be ok with a rise to about 10 an hour.
    I agree with this. Usually I agree with him, but when an Adult cannot afford to live, how are they to expect trying to get training in a field? I know I am getting ready to start looking into college and I know for a Fact that I cannot do it. I cannot survive off of minimum wage, I would need to devote far to many hours to work at the minimum wage, Just to survive! There wouldn't be any time for schooling!
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    $20 is not even close to what is needed to live off of, and the minimum isnt what you should be trying to live off of in the first place. go get skills so you dont work a mcdonalds with 15 year olds ffs. or you can deal with your hobo life choices. at $20 an hour in a 1 bed room apt complex you could easily go to hawaii 3 times a year. if you need a bigger apt then maybe you should get a real job and put skills you surely acquired before spitting out children to work

fucking beggers these days are insane, just want paid the same as skilled people for doing HIGHLY unskilled work. gtfo the country would be thriving without you.

increasing min wage is reasonable, to $20 is fucking nuts. you shouldnt even be allowed to have a job if you think it is reasonable, because you are mentally unstable and should be in a hospital so someone can change your diapers
    It's hard to take you seriously when you tell hobos and beggers to "gtfo" of the country for being poor

Confirmed troll

1/10

Mod Edit: Please post constructively.
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2015-02-06 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoka Inumuta View Post
    It's hard to take you seriously when you tell hobos and beggers to "gtfo" of the country for being poor
    its easy not to be poor. VERY EASY. you just have to get off your ass

LOL you know 56% of people on food stamps have a job right?

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=3894#_ftn3

You know in australia the minimum wage is 17$ and their unemployment is lower soo.....

10+ Year Old Account
    $20 is not even close to what is needed to live off of, and the minimum isnt what you should be trying to live off of in the first place.
    Jobs are there to live off of. That's kinda the point of a job. The other side of that coin is buisness that cannot afford to pay a living wage, is a flawed buisness model that shouldn't exist.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Democrats are not asking for 20$ an hour. You are doing exactly what you claim democrats could do...
    thats what the response from mike rowe is about though, a group demanding $20 an hour and people in this thread thinking thats reasonable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    LOL you know 56% of people on food stamps have a job right?
    and 100% can improve their own situation EASILY without demanding 40k a year serving french fries.

10+ Year Old Account
    That has no meaning...

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, we actually do need the increased taxes anyway because the past decade-and-a-half's tax cuts and egregious spending habits have left the US with some looming fiscal hurdles to jump.
    Sure. It'd be nice if we could increase taxes (which we know Republicans will never do) and reduce spending (which we know Democrats won't do), but hey a man can dream.

Just, be kind.