Deleted

Driver can not start + orange ethernet light

The day before yesterday I got my new case so moved everything over from the old one. Took a while but everything was working fine, last night just before I go to sleep I try to plug something into usb port on the front and hear a weird noise. I look back up and internet isnt working (it was fine 20 seconda before). I see my ethernet light is now orange instead of green and the computer doesnt acknowledge it being plugged in.

Today I tried a new cable& reinstalling drivers. Then I did a system restore but nothing worked. Could I have fried my ethernet port by misplacing a wire in front usb port?

The message about my network driver reads 'this driver could not start (error 10)'.

Sorry for typing weirdly, on phone. Thanks forany possible help

15+ Year Old Account
    So your saying you plugged your usb header in to your motherboard where it was not suppose to go?

Going to assume that you shorted something out when you plugged in that USB device. General sounds of it is your Onboard Ethernet port is now shot. The driver being unable to start might have something to do with it being unable to properly interact with the now dead hardware.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2015-02-06 at 02:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    So your saying you plugged your usb header in to your motherboard where it was not suppose to go?
    Onlyinto a usb port. It just made a weird noise

Do I have to buy a new motheboard or should a network card suffice?

15+ Year Old Account
    Depends on how old the system is, does everything else work?

If so and money is tight, get a nic card.

assuming nothing but the network port is malfuncctioning, then a stand-alone network card should be fine. I would double check that the USB port you plugged the devvice into was properly conneccted first though, so you dont short something else out if you try to use it again.

Deleted
    I unplugged the usb port just incase. I dont need the front ones anyway. Everythi g else is seemingly working but money is tight so im probably going to buy the cheapest card at the store at least temporarily.

Everything undrr 1year old

10+ Year Old Account
    Orange light means half duplex. Before assuming the USB has anything to do with this, remove the ethernet plug and check the pins. Make sure they're straight with a flashlight. Make sure the router or whatever isn't the problem.

Deleted
    After multiple hours trying to get the network card to work, im wondering if theres something that could be stopping it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00 is the card.

The instructions are pretty easy, i followed them correctly every time, http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/doc...User_Guide.pdf is the guide and once it gets to 'Installing Driver Software' everything freezes and i'm forced to restart the pc. Upon restart the card under Device Manager has been moved to Network Adapters and has a yellow exclamation point. Clicking for more info = Error 31 '"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

I tried doing it in safe mode, i tried using drivers online instead of cd and don't work. Even when the card has a green light on the back of the pc it's still error 31 on the actual device manager.

Currently i uninstalled everything and am sitting at 'Ethernet Controller' under 'Other devices' wondering if i should try again and inevitably watch my pc freeze.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    When you say you tried using the online drivers, you mean manually setting the directory to update from these?

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...l=TG-3468#down

Does it still freeze when you install them this way?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Livevil View Post
    When you say you tried using the online drivers, you mean manually setting the directory to update from these?

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...l=TG-3468#down

Does it still freeze when you install them this way?
    Yes + yes. Just trying to install drivers for the Ethernet Controller causes a freeze which can only be fixed by restarting.

Im using Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1

- - - Updated - - -

Is it possible that the old ethernet port on my motherboard could be interfering at all or no?

10+ Year Old Account
    You could disable the onboard Ethernet port. BTW, you may have warranty on your motherboard. Would be worth it to just replace it. Most have 3 years warranty.

Deleted
    Tried to disable it before i went to sleep but couldn't find the option in the BIOS, not sure what im doing honestly but will keep looking

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd do something drastic like clear the CMOS and remove every unnecessary device from your PC. If you have onboard graphics then remove the graphics card too. Bare essentials just to boot and see if the ethernet port still acts up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Instead of having to change your nic you could just pick up a usb nic. I had something like this a while back.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Hmm wish i knew about that before thanks for telling me Apepi. I have a replacement motherboard coming tomorrow as i couldn't figure it out, lucky Amazon are nice