Thread: How2Chen?

How2Chen?

So I love Chen, I bought him sight unseen, I bought skins for him, and... I'm pretty rubbish at him.

Thoughts on Chen builds/strats? Tonight I tried a shieldy build and a heavy fire breath build. Shieldy worked pretty well and fire breath while strong left me feeling papery - though might be biased because the shieldy build got a great team while the breath build was in a team that got schooled.

Also, Storm Earth and Fire seems like a pretty obvious pick, kind of a pity though because Keg is shitloads of fun. Especially with speed boost, they can't escape you, you can ping them right at your team or just chase them to their death for maximum lolz. Very vulnerable though. Should really give you a shield or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Have you tried this build?

http://www.heroesfire.com/hots/guide...inks-a-lot-206

I have only tried him but that build felt pretty decent

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post

Played Chen to 9, this was my go-to build apart from lvl 1 where I'd normally pick up the Keg Smash talent. increased slow duration makes you a GOD at sticking to the squishies you want to dive and murder, and I found being able to combo-drink-leap-combo more reliably with the increased slow paid off more than extra damage on the second-smallest part of your combo, esp against heroes with a dash escape.

That said, Chen took HUGE power nerfs recently. The first was the removal of Resurgence, which was half of what made Chen what he was - someone who dives DEEP into their backline and murders their carries. In trouble? SEF your way out. Still dead? No worries - Resurgence! Be aggressive!

So that was a big blow, but then they went and added a cast time on SEF. Chen when not drinking is REALLY FUCKING SQUISHY. He relied on SEF as a HP reset/escape for when the enemies wised up and interrupted his drink after diving fifty miles into the backline to lay the smackdown on their Valla/Nova/Zeebo/Whatever. Now that can be interrupted too, and puts it on the 10sec interrupt cooldown. Against a team that knows what they're doing, you will NEVER be allowed to escape with SEF - and Chen is WORTH focussing post-16 due to his absurd combo damage on squishies.

So what this means is you've got a tank who's designed to be a diver rather than a peeler, who's had the balls ripped off him. And to add insult to injury, Resurgence was like his only decent 20 talent. The ult upgrades are rubbish. You can take Bolt, but who gives a shit? You're Chen and you have a monster gapclose on basically no cooldown.

Now if you still wanna play him - and he IS fun to play in soloQ when you can get away with it - the basic idea is this:

Combo
    DRINKDRINKDRINK
    Combo
    DRINKDRINKDRINK
    repeat

The combo being:
    Q-auto-W-E-auto

That's it. That's Chen. You'll be doing that like 90% of the time. Mercs, waves, duels, teamfights, you name it - that's what you do. The rest of it lies in picking your target and baiting their interrupts so you don't suddenly stop drinking and get a storm of bullets shoved up your arse.

Oh also - your damage will be pretty rubbish until 16. Then you get Combination Attack. Then you power-spike on an obscene level and basically 100-0 squishies with one combo.
    Last edited by Nikkaszal; 2015-02-06 at 04:37 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post

It still has Resurgence of the Storm.....>.>

Honestly, I wish I could help you, but Chen is one of my least played heroes, he is still at level 5.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    It still has Resurgence of the Storm.....>.>

Honestly, I wish I could help you, but Chen is one of my least played heroes, he is still at level 5.
    Besides Resurgence, the build is still relevant.

Chen's 20 talents (and he only gets TWO. Bolt or ult upgrade) are all crap so it's a choice of whatever you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have level 9 Chen. My fav war.

Q > W > E > D Rinse repeat.

Talents:
    Deadly Strike
    Chug
    Bolder Flavor (you think its useless until you stay alive in a 4v1.)
    Storm, Earth, Fire
    A Touch of Honey
    Combination Attack
    Bolt of the Storm

15+ Year Old Account
    Bolder Flavour IS useless outside of pubstomping

If you do have that hypothetical 4v1, expect to get your drink interrupted if they're trying to kill you, making it a wasted talent. If they don't want to interrupt, pouring damage into Chen's shield is a horrible waste of time so they're going to ignore you... making it a wasted talent.

Oh I forgot to mention - at 7, your untalented shield is strong enough to cancel out damage from two towers shooting you at once. It's huge baseline. Making it bigger is usually just overkill.

Pressure Point is mandatory. The amount of utility it brings is amazing.

http://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talen...ator/chen#c_cz

Those are the mandatory talents. The ones at level 1 and 13 depend on what you prefer and what team comp you are in/are facing. If you have no slows on your team go Full Keg + Touch of Honey. If they have a lot of CC get Relentless. If you already have a slow go for either Deadly Strike or Consuming Flame.

Your playstyle will be to dive and chase their ranged assassins/supports and drink while your abilities are cooling down. Then you hope they don't interrupt your drinks and/or ult because if that happens you're fucked.

Hmm by the look of it my biggest mistake was neglecting Q in favour of W, E and shields. I'll give the pressure point build a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.