Page 1 of 28
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Wife divorces dad who didn't give up son with Down syndrome

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.2105819

A New Zealand father refused to give up his newborn son who had has Down syndrome — prompting his wife to divorce him.

Samuel Forrest’s wife gave him an ultimatum when their son, Leo, was born last month: Give up the boy or face a breakup.

Forrest chose Leo, and the proud dad has raised more than $300,000 to bring his baby back to his native New Zealand.

What a great mom, glad to see the father didn't give up.
    Last edited by Nightman; 2015-02-06 at 07:18 PM.

Deleted
    Ugh what a terrible mother it´s really sickening...Go Samuel Forrest!

15+ Year Old Account
    Heh, was just reading this article

It's an honorable thing he did, but honestly I can't hold it too much against the mother when they don't have the resources to care for him and there's no infrastructure to give him the special care that he needs. It all depends what his situation would be like if he was given up, for all we know it could be better than what they were able to provide. Hard to pass judgement when we don't know the situation.

Bloodsail Admiral melkesjokolade's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good, she didnt deserve him.

i might be a horrible person for it, but... i don't think i would want the child either. i mean, it's not that i hate people with disorders or anything, i'm just really kinda creeped out by them. i wouldn't divorce my lover over it, but idk how long i'd live with it before just killing myself or something.

yet another good reason to only adopt, even though i'd love to be pregnant.

He will be a slave for the rest of his life. I admire his courage, but his life is officially over.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i might be a horrible person for it, but... i don't think i would want the child either. i mean, it's not that i hate people with disorders or anything, i'm just really kinda creeped out by them. i wouldn't divorce my lover over it, but idk how long i'd live with it before just killing myself or something.

you are an idiot, its living being you fucktard.. and i dont really care if i get banned.. i just cant believe there are retards like you that breathe same air as me..

Mod Edit: Infracted. Keep it civil.
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2015-02-06 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianus View Post
    you are an idiot, its living being you fucktard.. and i dont really care if i get banned.. i just cant believe there are retards like you that breathe same air as me..
    sorry, i can't help it. it's just the reaction i have.

living beings of a lot of types can be creepy, spiders are creepy, some grown men are pretty creepy too.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxJr View Post
    He will be a slave for the rest of his life. I admire his courage, but his life is officially over.
    OMG are u for real?? people with down can work and be self sufficient

10+ Year Old Account
    As sad as this situation is it's far better for the mother to abandon the kid than to half-assedly raise him with resentment and loathing.

Both the kid and the dad will be far better off without her in the picture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    As sad as this situation is it's far better for the mother to abandon the kid than to half-assedly raise him with resentment and loathing.

Both the kid and the dad will be far better off without her in the picture.
    I was about to say the same thing. Good riddance. Let him and his family, who will actually care for the child, step in.

Always wonder what I would do if the pregnancy test came back that said that the fetus had downs. I'd probably let the mom decide, would like to think I would do that.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I cant say I wouldnt consider giving him up if I was financially in trouble and in that situation. But idk how you can bring yourself to do such a thing...especially a mother. Just shows how terrible some people are. Props to that father though, I also came from a family of abandonment and it's hard being a kid in that situation. I hope this father and that child get the help they deserve, the mother can go choke on the dicks she sucking for drug money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great dad there, did the right thing.

Deleted
    I wonder what's next

Is it OK to divorce over a woman giving birth to a blind baby, or a crippled baby.

In what world is the wife anything but a monster?

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

What is this? You might just as well put this
    but idk how long i'd live with it before just killing myself or something.
    as your signature, you say that in every fifth post.

If you know you have issues, then talk to a professional. But people on forums don't want to read that on a regular basis.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I don't think I could love a child enough at birth to accept it if it had some serious mental disability or major physical impairment (and oddly enough I rate mental disabilities as a lot harder to deal with than physical). Call me cruel or evil or stupid, that's only fair, but I just don't think I'm the kind of person who could handle that. How do I raise someone who will never be able to comprehend things the same way I can? Share the same interests or hobbies? I'm an avid reader, a gamer, someone who enjoys science and learning. And there's certainly no way I'd have the patience to care for someone stuck at a child's intelligence for the rest of my life.

I might have tried to put the kid up for adoption too, in her position. :\

That said, I'm the sort of person who would prefer to adopt anyway. Not only does it skip those first few years of (supposedly blissful) hell and stress, but I don't have to worry about passing any conditions or fucked-up-ness to my kids.

That said, the dad seems to have done the right thing. I hope that $300,000 will cover medical bills and expenses from now on (since he'll likely need a full-time sitter and special teachers). Hopefully he can invest wisely.

Deleted
    Women know no loyalty.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Women know no loyalty.
    lol @ you with the stupid exaggerations and broad generalizations.

Lucky guy to get rid of that scum.