Thread: DirectX 12

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

DirectX 12

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8962/t...dia-star-swarm

As the article came up the most important part:

Anything more than 4 cores goes to waste as we’re no longer CPU-bound. Which means that we don’t even need a highly threaded processor to take advantage of DirectX 12’s strengths in this scenario, as even a 4 core processor provides plenty of kick.

Fun days incoming.

I really hope WoW picks up DX12. It would help the game so much.

How many years before WoW decides to code the game for dx 12 tho? It was what, 5 years or more before they decided to make a dx11 client. This is good news for me either way i guess, sounds like my 2500k will be good for the forseeable future lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    How many years before WoW decides to code the game for dx 12 tho? It was what, 5 years or more before they decided to make a dx11 client. This is good news for me either way i guess, sounds like my 2500k will be good for the forseeable future lol.
    DirectX 11 came out in 2009... It was added into WoW in 2010.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Dam you are right, i actually had to look that up. For some reason i was thinking dx11 released sooner than 09. Id be thrilled if it only took them a year to adopt it then, hopefully dx12 adresses the real problem WoW has in draw call bottlenecking, if that happens we could see drastic changes to high population scenarios in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Dam you are right, i actually had to look that up. For some reason i was thinking dx11 released sooner than 09. Id be thrilled if it only took them a year to adopt it then, hopefully dx12 adresses the real problem WoW has in draw call bottlenecking, if that happens we could see drastic changes to high population scenarios in WoW.

Sadly though, the only noticeable difference with multi-threading for DX12 will come from a high end GPU. Anything less than a GTX 980 doesn't appear to benefit much from going from 2 to 4 threads.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Sadly though, the only noticeable difference with multi-threading for DX12 will come from a high end GPU. Anything less than a GTX 980 doesn't appear to benefit much from going from 2 to 4 threads.
    No. I have a 7970 and I sit at 40-60% GPU load in raids. I have huge bottleneck issues with an i5 clocked at 4.2Ghz.

Also, in the article every single GPU tested benefited from DX12. Yes, the most powerful ones got the most performance out of it, but still.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    No. I have a 7970 and I sit at 40-60% GPU load in raids. I have huge bottleneck issues with an i5 clocked at 4.2Ghz.
    Uh.. what? WoW doesn't run DX12.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2015-02-06 at 10:44 PM.

Uh.. what? WoW doesn't run DX12.
    No. You are saying that only high end GPU's benefit from DX12. I am telling you that's not true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay. Microsoft gets off their ass.
    Hopefully it gets implemented well across games.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. You are saying that only high end GPU's benefit from DX12. I am telling you that's not true.
    There was little to no benefit CPU-wise for lower end GPU's in that bench. Yes, from DX11 to DX12, the benefit is quite a bit but it also depends on the GPU which is why they included the scaling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, just saw Windows 10 only, well that's slightly annoying.
    Hopefully compatibility issues I had beforehand with 8 aren't going to be present.

There was little to no benefit CPU-wise for lower end GPU's in that bench. Yes, from DX11 to DX12, the benefit is quite a bit but it also depends on the GPU which is why they included the scaling.
    That depends on the CPU you have. The testing was done with high end CPU's. What about people running AMD CPU's? They will probably see a massive increase even with low end GPU's due to lower single threading performance of AMD CPU's. I know that my old 5770 was having massive issues with my AMD dual core.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    At least it's free if you have 7 or 8. Still, would have loved if it was 7 as well since I don't feel like changing OS.

10+ Year Old Account
    That depends on the CPU you have. The testing was done with high end CPU's. What about people running AMD CPU's? They will probably see a massive increase even with low end GPU's due to lower single threading performance of AMD CPU's. I know that my old 5770 was having massive issues with my AMD dual core.

- - - Updated - - -

At least it's free if you have 7 or 8. Still, would have loved if it was 7 as well since I don't feel like changing OS.

They used a Core i3 4370, a Core i5 4670, and an i7 5820K it appears. So they kind of covered every spectrum I'd say.

Hopefully compatibility issues I had beforehand with 8 aren't going to be present.
    At least it's free for 7/8/8.1 users. (One year window for the free upgrade)

They used a Core i3 4370, a Core i5 4670, and an i7 5820K it appears. So they kind of covered every spectrum I'd say.
    No. They didn't. A Core i3 can outperform AMD CPU's in heavy single threaded applications. The testing would have been perfected if they added dual, quad and octa core AMD CPU's

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    At least it's free for 7/8/8.1 users. (One year window for the free upgrade)
    Yeah I know, I'm just worried about compatibility issues. Will find out whenever it comes out.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. They didn't. A Core i3 can outperform AMD CPU's in heavy single threaded applications. The testing would have been perfected if they added dual, quad and octa core AMD CPU's
    Oh they emulated those, close enough

Oh they emulated those, close enough
    Not really. Something interesting that has emerged in Thief Mantle benchmarks was that even though Intel has slightly higher FPS, the minimal FPS on AMD CPU's was better. Would have loved to see a minimum FPS comparison as well.

Yeah I know, I'm just worried about compatibility issues. Will find out whenever it comes out.
    I've been using the TP for a while now, it mostly works like a charm, especially with games!