Prot Warrior Talents for BRF fights by boss - Have I got this completely wrong?

Hey

I've done some research on Warcraft logs and the top ranking Warriors seem to be talenting the following during each boss. This is based on the most common talents for the top 10 warriors as of today.

Gruul 45 - Sudden Death 60 - Dragon Roar 90 - Bloodbath
    Oregorger 45 - Sudden Death 60 - Dragon Roar 90 - Bloodbath
    The Blast Furnace 45 - Unyielding Strikes 60 - Dragon Roar 90 - Bladestorm
    Hans and Frans 45 - Sudden Death 60 - Dragon Roar 90 - Bloodbath
    Flamebender Kagraz 45 - Sudden Death 60 - Dragon Roar 90 - Bloodbath
    Kromog 45 - Sudden Death 60 - Dragon Roar 90 - Bladestorm
    Beastlord Darmac 45 - Unyielding Strikes 60 - Dragon Roar 90 - Bladestorm
    Operator Thogar 45 - Sudden Death 60 - Dragon Roar 90 - Bladestorm

I can't find any conclusive information on which talent is the best for which situation. The guides all seem to contradict each other and it's pretty confusing to know which talent to pick. Anyway let me know what you think and call me out if this is completely wrong I'm looking forward to the feedback.

Heavy Repercussions is too dependent on Shield Block uptime and looking through logs some of the best dps tanks are only getting 20% uptime on SB.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tighe View Post
    Hey

I've done some research on Warcraft logs and the top ranking Warriors seem to be talenting the following during each boss. This is based on the most common talents for the top 10 warriors as of today.

Gruul 45 - Sudden Death 60 - Dragon Roar 90 - Bloodbath
    Oregorger 45 - Sudden Death 60 - Dragon Roar 90 - Bloodbath
    The Blast Furnace 45 - Unyielding Strikes 60 - Dragon Roar 90 - Bladestorm
    Hans and Frans 45 - Sudden Death 60 - Dragon Roar 90 - Bloodbath
    Flamebender Kagraz 45 - Sudden Death 60 - Dragon Roar 90 - Bloodbath
    Kromog 45 - Sudden Death 60 - Dragon Roar 90 - Bladestorm
    Beastlord Darmac 45 - Unyielding Strikes 60 - Dragon Roar 90 - Bladestorm
    Operator Thogar 45 - Sudden Death 60 - Dragon Roar 90 - Bladestorm

I can't find any conclusive information on which talent is the best for which situation. The guides all seem to contradict each other and it's pretty confusing to know which talent to pick. Anyway let me know what you think and call me out if this is completely wrong I'm looking forward to the feedback.

Heavy Repercussions is too dependent on Shield Block uptime and looking through logs some of the best dps tanks are only getting 20% uptime on SB.
    Are you looking for most dps per boss or most survivability per boss?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Are you looking for the highest DPS or the best talent for killing the boss? Because Bladestorm on Trains and Darmac is pretty much just padding. The adds that come on those fights aren't dangerous or anything and can die from casual AOE outside of Man-at-arms who you would want to single target anyways. Same thing applies to US over SD for AOE reasons on those fights. Killing those adds fast can actually hurt your DPS on the kill targets if you have classes like Enh that actually gain single target DPS when there are multiple targets.

A bit of both to be honest. After reading the tooltips for the talents in question i don't see any survival options except for Shockwave which I do use if i find I'm dying to packs of adds.

@Gliff - I want to know how to maximise effective damage. That is part of the reason that I started this post. I'm in a guild that puts a lot of emphasis on where we stand in ranks on Warcraft logs but until we get things on farm I don't pay as much attention to that as they do.
    Last edited by Tighe; 2015-02-07 at 02:02 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    thing is, there is no talent for "a bit of both". Best example is SD. Either you pick a talent that does not influence your rotation at all and passively profits form you active mitigation or you pick the talent for more dps.

General consensus is, for pure single target like gruul, you will pick DR+BB. makro them, forget them.
    Same goes for Sudden Death.
    You swap BB for BS when you can hold it on cd while constantly cleaving a ton of mobs. You swap SD for US when you can cleave for a fair amount of time.
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're soaking Acid Torrent on Oregorger, Gladiator's Resolve is a much better choice.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmophile View Post
    If you're soaking Acid Torrent on Oregorger, Gladiator's Resolve is a much better choice.
    nobody was regarding the lvl 100 talents tho.

Be aware than most of the "top dps tanks" you'll see on warcraftlogs overgear the content and so do their healer/dps, basically they just want to nuke bosses, it's not a good idea to follow their example especially if your guild only killed 1 mythic boss in highmaul, tank dps isn't that important so go for the build with the most survivability except if you're sure you can survive easily or you're wiping from a mechanic that requires more dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    either you pick a talent that does not influence your rotation at all and passively profits form you active mitigation or you pick the talent for more dps.
    This is the bit I need direction on. Do SD and US mean you have less mitigation? I thought the idea was they make extra attacks basically free or reduced in cost to the point they don't effect your rotation.

- - - Updated - - -

@mokuna I checked against guilds where the tanks had similar ilvl to me and it came up with the same result. Is gladiators resolve better than ravager for single target for survivability?

Quote Originally Posted by Tighe View Post
    This is the bit I need direction on. Do SD and US mean you have less mitigation? I thought the idea was they make extra attacks basically free or reduced in cost to the point they don't effect your rotation.
    They mean less mitigation in terms of "wasting" gcds on something that does not directly increase your survivability. If you are purely trying to reduce damage you would take HR, using every gcd to either generate rage (SS and Revenge) or trying to proc sword and board (devastate).

Whether it's actually "wasting" defensive gcds to take SD or UR is something you would need to discuss with your healers. If you overgear the content and they have no trouble keeping you up then sure, get the extra damage.

Edit: To clarify UR could technically never affect your mitigation if you used it only with 6 stacks, however I would guess that would come out to less of a damage increase than HR.
    Last edited by Tsali; 2015-02-07 at 11:07 PM.

I have a WA set up to tell me when i'm on 5 stacks of UR. It means I can manage the rage loss a lot better and i basically don't HS until that indicator comes up. We definitely don't overgear the content. I'm going to take on board what cosmo said though. i never thought of Gladiator's resolve for acid torrent.