Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Anime on Netflix streaming

I'd usually frown on someone making a random post about what anime to watch, but I think it makes sense due to my requirements, and for once I'm being lazy.

I'm far behind in the series' that have come out in the last 5-7 years and I'm really craving a few new ones to watch.

It can be a 1 season show or a multiple season series, as long as the entire series is complete and on Netflix streaming.

I also want to know if the version on Netflix has been massacred (like the 4Kids version of One Piece /shudder), or if the dub is considered 'bad' as sometimes I just like to watch a show instead of reading subtitles. Having said that, I'll most likely use the Japanese track with subs.

I don't like silly shows like Ranma, nor do I watch all anime because it's anime.

I've watched the obligatory shows in the past and loved them (Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Death Note, etc..)
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2015-02-07 at 03:03 AM.

Kill la Kill! It's action packed and has a heart of gold. I literally found myself getting more and more excited with every episode.

If you don't like "fan service," then I ask that you simply ignore that for this one, because the fan service is sort of lampooned -- it's not to be taken seriously. After a few episodes, you stop noticing it. Other than that, it's an awesome, balls-to-the-wall, thrill-ride!

It's the single-season full run with excellent subtitles. I hope you enjoy it if you give it a try!
    Last edited by Belloc; 2015-02-07 at 03:02 AM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Well uh, if you have any teenager in you left, you could try watching SAO (the first half of the season, then skip immediately to the last episode), despite it's flaws.

Fate: Zero would probably be what your looking for quality wise.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will always recommend watching Psycho-Pass. It's about a society where people are tested for their Crime Coefficient (how likely they are to be a threat to society) by the Sybil System, which is supposed to be this perfect judge and juror, and if they score high on it they are sent to a rehabilitation facility or if the threat is to great they are killed. It has good animation and a great story. I haven't really watched it dubbed but I hear it is decent. You can also watch dubbed clips by Funimation on Youtube if you want to see what their dub is like.

Psycho-Pass Opening 1

Psycho-Pass Opening 2
    Last edited by Tragedia; 2015-02-07 at 03:23 AM.
    Black Lives Matter

15+ Year Old Account
    Netflix doesn't have a huge assortment of anime, but they do have a few must-watch series: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Samurai Champloo (same guys who did Cowboy Bebop), Gurren Lagann, and Kill la Kill.

I would personally strongly recommend Knights of Sidonia, but it's not for everyone. It's a hard science-fiction (aka "realistic" science) mecha anime based on a manga by Tsutomu Nihei.

A lot of people like Attack on Titan and Psycho-Pass, too.

Of course, it really just depends on what genres you like.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2015-02-07 at 03:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Kill la Kill! It's action packed and has a heart of gold. I literally found myself getting more and more excited with every episode.

If you don't like "fan service," then I ask that you simply ignore that for this one, because the fan service is sort of lampooned -- it's not to be taken seriously. After a few episodes, you stop noticing it. Other than that, it's an awesome, balls-to-the-wall, thrill-ride!

It's the single-season full run with excellent subtitles. I hope you enjoy it if you give it a try!
    It reminds me of Desert Punk, I think I'll give it a watch tonight, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Well uh, if you have any teenager in you left, you could try watching SAO (the first half of the season, then skip immediately to the last episode), despite it's flaws.
    I assume this means Sword Art Online.

I know I gave up on that .Hack/Sign show or whatever it's called, w/e series it was where people were trapped in an MMO, but that was a very long time ago.

Fate: Zero would probably be what your looking for quality wise.
    I actually watched and enjoyed Fate/Stay Night many years ago and wasn't aware there was a prequel, thanks. I don't remember that much of it, but I don't think that will be an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also recommend Noragami. It's about a low level deity who does jobs for people in need. he's trying to build his rep up and become a famous god who's worshiped by all.
    Slightly reminiscent of Bleach in a way with gods, the way they use weapons and spirits. This anime has action, comedy and straight up serious stuff. Pretty short too.
    Black Lives Matter

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    It reminds me of Desert Punk, I think I'll give it a watch tonight, thanks.
    Watch Gurren Lagann first. Same people handled both, but Gurren Lagann is a bit more accessible. If you haven't experienced this brand of crazy anime before, there's also FLCL.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Netflix anime is horrible unless you can switch the audio to english on a player. I decided to read books instead since i couldn't change the audio till Silverlight wasn't required anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I assume this means Sword Art Online.
    yeah that means Sword Art Online the whole show is pretty amazing even though some people get a burr up their ass about the second half. Shows on Netflix I would recommend are Kill La kill, The irregular at magic High School, Norigami, The Devil has is a part timer, Soul Eater, Blue Exorcist, Psycho Pass, Sword Art Online, and Attack on Titan.

Also just adding in future post these questions in this thread.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...request-thread
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2015-02-07 at 03:42 AM.

I actually watched and enjoyed Fate/Stay Night many years ago and wasn't aware there was a prequel, thanks. I don't remember that much of it, but I don't think that will be an issue.
    Ewwwwww you watched the studio Deen version. Try Fate/Stay night UBW, has the same budget as Fate/Zero perhaps even more then that.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Monster is one of the best animes i watched and introduced me into the amazing world of naoki urasawa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just pulled up the anime page on Netflix and there is quite a lot more then I would have thought. I have never actually watched anime since the first couple of times I tried it was dub only and that isn't my thing.

Anyways, just going to list some of series that jump out at me as "must watch" with links to the MAL info page for them.

Psycho-Pass Really good series with some strong cyberpunk vibes.

Samurai Champloo By the same director of Cowboy Bebop. Watch for the soundtrack alone. The funky hip-hop soundtrack by the incredible Nusabes fits just as well with the samurai setting and story as the funky jazz one by Yoko Kanno did with space pirates in Bebop. Plus, fluid animation, solid characters and a story that is mostly character driven but drops in great action when needed.

Noragami Easily one of my favorite series of the past few years. The characters are all so good. The story is about a down on his luck diety who is just trying to gain some recognition by trying to help random strangers. However, things chance when Yato's past comes back to haunt him. Great series. I really hope we do get a follow up to it as I need more Yato-god in my life!

Hunter x Hunter Easily one of the best shounen battle series ever. Follows some of the tropes of the genre while others it spins on their heads. Like any series of this nature, I cannot say it is for everyone. If you enjoy series like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and so on, then HxH should be right up your ally. If you don't, then this probably won't be the series to chance your mind.

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic andMagi: The Kingdom of Magic First and second seasons of the same series. Fun adventure series that uses the stories from One Thousand and One Nights as a basis to tell the story of a Magi named Aladdin who meet a street thug by the name of Alibaba. The two decide to join together to solve the riddle of the mysterious dungeons and claim it's hidden treasure for their own. Of course there are other forces who with to get their hands on it as well.

That should be a good start I think.

Do they have to be recent?

Bleach
    Yu Yu Hakasho - watched this one in full a few times
    Avatar The last air bender - Really good story. Anime style of drawing, but american.
    Naruto - start from just Naruto then watch Shippuden. May need to switch to subs.
    Inuyasha - Finally completed
    Zoids - several different ones. All pretty good
    Gundam - several different ones. I recommend G gundam

Newer ones
    Attack on Titan - newer. Very interesting.
    Blue exorcist

I haven't tried too many of the newer anime out there. Just havent found any that catches my interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Mapathy View Post
    Ewwwwww you watched the studio Deen version. Try Fate/Stay night UBW, has the same budget as Fate/Zero perhaps even more then that.
    Excuse me? There are multiple versions?

Excuse me? There are multiple versions?
    The original Fate/stay night anime series aired between January 6 and June 16, 2006, containing 24 episodes; the storyline follows mainly the Fate scenario but shows parts of other scenarios as well. When the anime adaptation was in the planning stages at Studio Deen, they were planning an original story, with Fate/Grand Order '​s new heroine as an important character, instead of adapting the events of the source material. It was animated by Studio Deen and produced by the Fate Project, which was formed in response to the popularity of the visual novel and included Geneon Entertainment, TBS, CREi, Type Moon, and Frontier Works. Kenji Kawai composed the original music for the series and also remixed four symphonic themes from the Fate/stay night visual novel for use in the anime: "Hizashi No Naka De" (not featured on the original anime soundtrack, but on the out tracks album La Sola), "Yakusoku Sareta Shouri No Tsurugi", "Emiya", and "This Illusion", the last of which was retitled "disillusion".

The series later received its international television premieres on the anime television network Animax in 2007, its English-language television premiere occurring on Animax's English networks in Southeast Asia in June as well as its other networks in South Korea, Hong Kong and other regions. Geneon USA also licensed the series for distribution across North America. The English dub was produced at Bang Zoom! Entertainment. On July 3, 2008, Geneon Entertainment and Funimation Entertainment announced an agreement to distribute select titles in North America. While Geneon Entertainment still retains the license, Funimation Entertainment assumes exclusive rights to the manufacturing, marketing, sales and distribution of select titles. Fate/stay night was one of several titles involved in the deal.[17] Sentai Filmworks has since licensed the TV series and re-released the series on DVD and for the first time on Blu-ray Disc in January 2013. Fate/stay night started airing in North America on the Anime Network On Demand channel on February 7, 2013.

The television series was re-released in Japan on January 22, 2010 in two 60-minute special edition DVD/BD volumes to commemorate the release of the film Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works.[19] Fate/stay night TV reproduction I and II each recap 12 episodes from the anime and feature re-edited and re-compiled footage along with new opening and ending animation footage, with new ending songs by Jyukai and Sachi Tainaka. The opening song "disillusion -2010-" is a re-recording of the "disillusion" theme song from the television series.

An animated film based on the storyline of the Unlimited Blade Works route from the visual novel was released in Japanese theaters on January 23, 2010 and produced by Studio Deen. The staff from the anime television series, including director Yuji Yamaguchi, returned to work on the film, with most of the voice cast reprising their roles. The film earned 280 million yen at the Japanese box office. Sentai Filmworks has licensed the Unlimited Blade Works film and released it on DVD and Blu-ray. As with the television series, the film was dubbed at Bang Zoom! The film has been shown on the Anime Network.

Ufotable produced a new Fate/stay night anime television series based on the Unlimited Blade Works route from the visual novel. The anime is directed by Takahiro Miura and the original Japanese voice cast from the Studio Deen Fate/stay night anime and the Fate/Zero anime reprise their roles in the new anime. The first half of the anime ran from October 4 to December 27, 2014. The second half is scheduled to premiere in April 2015. An advanced screening online premiered on September 28, 2014, in several countries across the world, including Japan, the United States, France, Germany, and South Korea. Aniplex of America has acquired streaming and home video rights to the 2014 series for North America. The first opening theme is "Ideal White" by Mashiro Ayano and the ending theme is "Believe" by Kalafina. A cover version of the song "This Illusion" from the visual novel was later used in this series as the ending theme for episode 12, and was performed by LiSA. Ufotable will also produce a film based on the Heaven's Feel route.[28]

This should help show the differences

http://www.reddit.com/r/anime/commen...en_stay_night/

15+ Year Old Account
    Heres some I can think of:

Death not e is really good, the anime I am not so sure, maybe someone could fill me in on this one?

They also have Digimon, I loved it as a kid. I recently watched it a few months ago.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Also a taste of the fight scenes in Fate/Stay : Unlimited Blade Works.

Also a taste of the fight scenes in Fate/Stay : Unlimited Blade Works.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1PmzgnZROo
    Goddamn it Hudson, don't spoil everything.

But yeah, if you liked the DEEN one, you'll love ufotable's. They're known to be really high quality with their works (there's a reason we refer to it as Unlimited Budget Works). There is a significant time difference (DEEN's came out in '06, I believe), but that adaptation was never really called, "high quality."

There's also the added benefit of references they've done to both F/Z and the actual VN, so I would really recommend UBW. It also has two hour length episodes, the first one (episode zero) and the first cour's finale (next airs this April).

Aside from UBW, I'd also recommend Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, and Attack on Titan, among others. TTGL is an absolute must-watch, and the same guys made KLK, which is also completely over the top with it's everything.

EDIT: ah, nevermind, those scenes are from the '10 movie version they did. Yeah, still bad, worse now that I think of it. Hue.
    Last edited by Sal the Shieldhog; 2015-02-07 at 04:45 AM.

Magi: Labyrinth of Magic and Magi: Kingdom of Magic (season 2) incredible show.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8