Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    we don't have an "our language" in america. never have.

there's a bunch of people (hell, an entire party) that THINKS that's true, but that doesn't mean it is.
    Except for the fact that English is the official language in most states. Even if English isn't the official language at the federal level, you can't pretend that it isn't our nation's language. Plenty of countries don't have official languages, but that doesn't mean they don't speak anything in those countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
    Is French useful?
    No, it is not. I really regretted learning French. The only places that you will find it useful is France, Benelux, three islands in the Caribbean, Algiers, and2-3 African countries.

I only used French once in Luxemburg and twice in France. That's it. Four wasted years learning French only to use it on three (3) occasions.

So, if you don't plan working in any of the above countries, just drop it.

If I could become 14 again, I'd choose to learn Spanish. Now there's a most useful language. Beautiful too.

Arabic would be a solid choice too, I regret not learning more Arabic or Turkish than I already know when I could.
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2015-02-19 at 05:31 PM.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

French is the easiest language to learn from an English perspective, but Spanish would be the most useful in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Osoroshii View Post
    Spanish is certainly well on its way to becoming mandatory in the US within another decade or two.
    Bahaha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    No, it is not. I really regretted learning French. The only places that you will find it useful is France, Benelux, three islands in the Caribbean, Algiers, and2-3 African countries.
    Don't forget America's hat!

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Which part? Spanish definitely is the fastest growing foreign language within the US (by numbers, ofc since no other measure makes any impact) and has been for quite some time. See the CIS Census analysis report released just Oct. 2014: http://cis.org/record-one-in-five-us...nglish-at-home

Plus the demand for it in certain sectors of the US, namely medical, is insane.
    It is the second largest but it's not the fastest growing, only like the 4th fastest. 12% of Americans speak Spanish and in 20 years that number is expected to be 15% at most. It is hardly something that I would call a mandatory language.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    It is the second largest but it's not the fastest growing, only like the 4th fastest. 12% of Americans speak Spanish and in 20 years that number is expected to be 15% at most. It is hardly something that I would call a mandatory language.
    Greatly beneficial for sure.