Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Skype is not even close to being the same. And those features I listed are NOT available on PC through the Windows operating system. Maybe you might be able to find an extra app to purchase somewhere, but it's not readily available by installing Windows 8.

And I don't where this guy is getting his info from about the call centers, but the penalizations you're talking about are false. They don't tell you to just randomly dump blame on the customer or other companies, rofl. They either troubleshoot and resolve the issue, or prove that the Apple hardware/software is working correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    you still overpaid, $1500 for the tower is enough to play just about any game on the market, and a Ducky Shine 3 costs $149 (i have several), sounds like you bought a prebuilt and dont really know much about computers, if you did, you would know a 980 costs $550, which is not near $1k, unless of course you are bad at math

no way, you too? if we get any more professionals in this thread, the site will crash from that much ego in one spot

'not apple' isn't really a choice, nor is it constructive, do it like this

see what I did there, i gave two similar alternatives and even provided links, because coming in and calling the op an idiot for buying an apple without actually offering any advice just makes you a dick
    Just stopping typing man, you just sound ridiculous at this point and your trying to hard to get a rise out of somebody. Saying i overpaid ain't even a valid argument on your end since you have no idea what it's supporting or what i run. Also going above average on certain parts is what almost anyone with two brain cells do so the computer has a longer life cycle like what you obviously did yourself so am trying hard not to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon View Post
    Also going above average on certain parts is what almost anyone with two brain cells do so the computer has a longer life cycle like what you obviously did yourself so am trying hard not to laugh.
    "Future proofing" is largely a computer building fallacy. Hardware bought at the same time "ages" at the same rate. Yes, a 980 bought now will be more powerful than a 960 bought now, but the technology behind them will age at the same rate and they'll both be eclipsed by their successors at the same rate. This is why anyone who is worth listening to will recommend only buying for your needs, anything more is money wasted that could have been spent elsewhere (on your next build, for example ).

I'm also going to invite everyone to revisit the Forum Rules and the Computer Forum-Specific Rules, because there are a number of people here breaking multiple rules. Please remember that brand-bashing is not tolerated, nor is non-constructive posting (e.g. "LOLS MACS R SO BAD FUR GAMINGZ LOLZ").
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2015-02-08 at 05:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon View Post
    Just stopping typing man, you just sound ridiculous at this point and your trying to hard to get a rise out of somebody. Saying i overpaid ain't even a valid argument on your end since you have no idea what it's supporting or what i run. Also going above average on certain parts is what almost anyone with two brain cells do so the computer has a longer life cycle like what you obviously did yourself so am trying hard not to laugh.
    dude, srsly, you did overpay, just admit it, which makes calling apple overpriced pretty hypocritical when you bought an overpriced prebuilt

i can only assume that for $2200 you are running on HEDT, which means either x79 or x99, and a 6-8 core cpu, 16-32gb of ram, and hopefully at least two flagship GPUs, which doesn't matter, because anything less than that and you seriously overpaid on something, but then again, since its a prebuilt, it could be an i3 with a titan

the fact that you think your ducky is more reliable because you paid more for it is just plain bad logic, you pay more because its a higher quality product, not the other way around, and you still paid 33% more for it than you should have

also, fyi, futureproofing does not work, im pretty sure every forum gave up beating that dead horse when the 2500k was released and ran circles around the SR-2 and skull trail, a system lasts only as long as it can continue to handle the workload given to it

I'm just going to leave this here.
    Specs of the new fancy mac pro trash cans $4000 versions (this is second cheapest of the offered configurations, yes you read that right)
    6-Core and Dual GPU
    3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor
    16GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
    Dual AMD FirePro D500 with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM each
    256GB PCIe-based flash storage1

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($321.75 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($134.98 @ Directron)
    Storage: Crucial M550 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($128.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card ($589.99 @ B&H)
    Case: Azza GT1 ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec Basiq 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($35.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Archgon CB-5021-GB Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (32/64-bit) ($170.99 @ Adorama)
    Total: $1837.54
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-08 01:06 EST-0500

A very comparable if not better build I just threw together, NOT EVEN HALF THE PRICE and you get so much more. Oh and you even get a bluray burner optical drive! Newest macs don't even have a rom drive period! If you dont care about price then by all means buy eye candy, as much as I hate apple I still drool over their products, thats their whole game. But don't be so naive as to think that they are better than pcs, not even visually because that is all up to the user. You pay out the ass for aesthetics and a brand then defend your empty wallets to the death because you don't want to realize how much money you have wasted. If apple had comparable prices to pcs and still had the pleasing form factor then they would win the computing race hands down.

I have used a 13 inch Air for work since 2012. Best laptop I have ever owned (I have had a lot of PC laptops).

Works good for browsing the web, working on assignments, researching, streaming video.

Games on the other hand can be iffy. I have played a fair bit of hearthstone on it. I have even used it for WoW a couple of times, but only to check auctions or work my farm in mists. It really isn't designed for any sort of serious gaming. While playing WoW or Hearthstone it gets pretty hot and the fan is pretty loud at max speed.

I haven't used a MacBook Pro, so I am a bit biased in my recommendation, but the Air is fantastic and when I feel it is time to upgrade I will probably replace it with another Air.

Quote Originally Posted by ssjgohan4life View Post
    I'm just going to leave this here.
    Specs of the new fancy mac pro trash cans $4000 versions (this is second cheapest of the offered configurations, yes you read that right)
    6-Core and Dual GPU
    3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor
    16GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
    Dual AMD FirePro D500 with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM each
    256GB PCIe-based flash storage1

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($321.75 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($134.98 @ Directron)
    Storage: Crucial M550 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($128.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card ($589.99 @ B&H)
    Case: Azza GT1 ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec Basiq 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($35.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Archgon CB-5021-GB Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (32/64-bit) ($170.99 @ Adorama)
    Total: $1837.54
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-08 01:06 EST-0500

A very comparable if not better build I just threw together, NOT EVEN HALF THE PRICE and you get so much more. Oh and you even get a bluray burner optical drive! Newest macs don't even have a rom drive period! If you dont care about price then by all means buy eye candy, as much as I hate apple I still drool over their products, thats their whole game. But don't be so naive as to think that they are better than pcs, not even visually because that is all up to the user. You pay out the ass for aesthetics and a brand then defend your empty wallets to the death because you don't want to realize how much money you have wasted. If apple had comparable prices to pcs and still had the pleasing form factor then they would win the computing race hands down.

You are still comparing things that shouldn't even be compared to each other. Nobody in their right mind buys a Mac Pro "trash can" for gaming, and nobody who knows what a FirePro GPU is good for would buy a system with a gaming card. Its like comparing a Lamborghini Diablo and a John Deer tractor and saying that one sucks because it can't do what the other does. Or that one is better than the other and they should both be classified as the same thing since they both have tires.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    You are still comparing things that shouldn't even be compared to each other. Nobody in their right mind buys a Mac Pro "trash can" for gaming, and nobody who knows what a FirePro GPU is good for would buy a system with a gaming card. Its like comparing a Lamborghini Diablo and a John Deer tractor and saying that one sucks because it can't do what the other does. Or that one is better than the other and they should both be classified as the same thing since they both have tires.
    This is the truest post I have seen in months. Kudos.

And with that, I'm locking the thread. OP, if you'd like more opinions, feel free to PM me and I'll open it back up, but at this point the thread is about 75% people just brand bashing Apple and arguing with each other.